Bears sign AAF kicker Elliot Fry to 3 year contract

malagabears

Interesting addition.

Adding to the mystery is also the news that Robbie Gould has not signed his franchise tag with SF and is playing hard ball in his negotiations so much so that GM John Lynch is said to have pursued Gostkowski before he eventually re-signed with NE.

Lynch has been quoted as saying he would like to retain Gould but "both parties have to want that" so there's at least some indication Robbie may be trying to force Lynch's hand to withdraw his tag so he can return to Chicago.

Of course we can't depend on that happening and Pace is correct to continue to add PKs for competition.  This is an issue he needs to resolve and he's out of Mulligans. 

But what if it's SF who drafts a PK?  That would almost certainly indicate they'll remove Gould's tag.  So is there still a chance of us getting him back?

8 hours ago, soulman said:

But what if it's SF who drafts a PK?  That would almost certainly indicate they'll remove Gould's tag.  So is there still a chance of us getting him back?

I just can’t see them rescinding the tag or drafting a replacement for Gould. He’s not going to sit out and they have no incentive to let him go. There’s no $ issue there.  Nothing has changed in that regard. If they can’t get a long term deal done then he’ll play 2019 on the tag then potentially move on next offseason. I don’t see a realistic end game other than that one that wouldn’t be homerishly slanted toward Gould’s return to the Bears.

Realistically I don't see much chance either unless I look at it from Lynch's perspective.

If Robbie won't agree to terms I have a very good PK I'm paying $5 mil plus for one year who doesn't really want to be here and next year I'll have to replace him anyway.  I'm not in a major playoff mode yet anyway and there are 3 college PKs any one of which could be had for far less and if he's successful I have my PK for the next decade or so whereas Robbie Gould's next longer term deal is likely to be his last.

Sometimes we pay too much attention to the obvious, or what we believe to be the obvious, and over look the more subtle under currents like why am I paying $5 mil to a PK who would rather sign elsewhere when he's not gonna be the guy who gets me to a SB anyway.  If he won't accept a deal that would keep him here 'til I am in contention then maybe I should look for someone who will be.  Some call those "alternative facts". LOLOL

If Pace really wants Robbie maybe he should offer SF one of his 7th round picks for him in trade or a slightly higher 2020 pick.  Lynch may bite on that.

Archived