Hair Loss Coffee Talk

jonu62882

So, I've been having this battle over the last year or so with personal stuff.  I have myself in pretty good shape now and feeling good about my body (lost 70 lbs).  But, there is something I'm lacking in.  I've always had great hair throughout my youth, but now I'm 37 yo, and I have been experiencing some decent hair loss over the last couple years.  Mostly, it's thinned down a lot all over, missing more in the middle area, and definitely bald crown.  Thankfully, my hairline is still pretty much intact.  My dad had a similar hair loss pattern. 

This is what Im working with...

ew8Xw24m.jpg

fa1l9cQt.jpg

I have been researching videos, and I have been looking for different remedies to help prevent further hair loss and/or promote re-growth.  Let's start with the the options:

1) Home Remedies - There's stuff like fish oil, collagen, rosemary oil, yada yada...I have yet to try but I feel like that stuff usually doesn't work.

2) Topical/Pill treatments - Rogaine (minoxidil) and Propecia (finesteride).  I have yet to try because the former requires you to not stop once you use and MAYBE might prevent loss while the latter may give you side effects like harming your sex drive and messing with the operation of your equipment, which I definitely don't want to risk.

3) Wigs/"Hair Systems" - Seems like a lot of maintenance and just weird knowing that you have a wig on even though they have come a long way.

4) Hair Loss Restoration/Transplant (FUE/FUT) - I am heavily leaning towards this direction, even considering going to another country like Turkey or Belgium to do it. Its really expensive, but it seems like the best chance for success and to see results.  I don't know how long it'll last for, and I am apprehensive.  I also am fearful that if I do it and it fails, that it will leave some type of scarring, which will prevent me from doing the shaved head/beard look later down the road should it fail.

5) Just accepting the suck and rocking the shaved head look - Much like tats, I don't know if I can pull this off.  I don't know if I'm ready for this...

So, anyone do any hair transplants or have some kind of regimen that they use that has worked? I know this a forum typically dominated by younger guys, probably yet to experience these types of issues, but I'm hoping there are some brave souls that can share their experiences with me that are in the same fight.

1 hour ago, jonu62882 said:

5) Just accepting the suck and rocking the shaved head look - 

buzz it bro, you're gonna be a dime piece. absolutely nobody gives af. my crop started dying 2 years ago when i was 21 & i've just been buzzing it since. i talk to college girls, so naturally they mention it sometimes, but if you play it right & aren't phased by it, they overlook it almost 100% of the time. at 37 i really can't imagine any girls in your age range that'd even care to mention it dude lol 

2 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

5) Just accepting the suck and rocking the shaved head look - Much like tats, I don't know if I can pull this off.  I don't know if I'm ready for this...

You're never ready. You just do it and make a decision. If you like it, you're in. If not, look back into th the other options (but don't be quick to not like it).

I started going bald at 19sh, so started to shave my head back then. My hairline started to recede and I got the dreaded "monkey butt" on the back of my head - I thought about using some sort of product, but voted against it. 

Outsideof getting lazy, I never go more than three weeks without a proper head shaving. It takes me a while to get everything done, so that's the only "downside" I can think of.

Well I’ve got a beautiful head of hair at 36, so I can’t give any perspective on balding other than to say embrace it.

Does a shaved head look good? Idk, it’s kinda subjective. It does however, 100% of the time, look better than a thinned our head of hair on a guy who isn’t accepting he’s going bald.

Buzz it down and move on.  You’ll likely care more than anyone else, it’s a common and accepted look.

I'm 35 and only have a slight recession in the up left and right corners of my hairline. But my hair isn't that short, so I can swipe it and cover it up a bit.

I'm looking into onion and garlic oil. I've heard good things about those. I might try minoxidil on the recession spots, too.

11 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

So, I've been having this battle over the last year or so with personal stuff.  I have myself in pretty good shape now and feeling good about my body (lost 70 lbs).  But, there is something I'm lacking in.  I've always had great hair throughout my youth, but now I'm 37 yo, and I have been experiencing some decent hair loss over the last couple years.  Mostly, it's thinned down a lot all over, missing more in the middle area, and definitely bald crown.  Thankfully, my hairline is still pretty much intact.  My dad had a similar hair loss pattern. 

This is what Im working with...

ew8Xw24m.jpg

fa1l9cQt.jpg

Doesn't look like you're in particularly bad shape unless you're short.  I think you can delay for a bit, but the topical treatments, from my understanding, don't regrow much hair, if any.  My brother used to use Propecia, and it kept him from losing more, but he's stopped.  I just buzz my hair, but I haven't lost enough to go full bald yet.  If it gets to the point where it's immediately noticeable from the front, then I'd say lean in and cut it all off.  A lot of girls like bald heads.

Also, be happy it didn't come to this til you were 37.

Archived