Jace Sternberger TE Prospect

soulman

2 minutes ago, soulman said:

This is something I've wondered about as well.  The Bears list him at 270lbs and maybe 260lbs would be a better playing weight for him.

Coming from a Div III program he was always a guy who needed work and coaching to reach his ceiling and missing the bulk of 2018 hasn't helped with that.  When he did return last year it was obvious he was still a long way from being 100% healthy and in game shape.

I haven't given up on him but this year he has to remain healthy and show some significant progress as a receiver as well or he will approach bust status for a 2nd round pick.  But he deserves that chance because he does have great upside if he can find a way to reach it.

We assume he has upside because of where he was drafted, if he was a 5th round pick he would be in a battle to make the team.

What if we assumed to much upside from a guy who played division II?

We are no longer in the phase of team building where guys get multiple years to "find themselves" every year for the next 4 years is a precious chance to compete for a Super Bowl. Shaheen needs significant competition for his job.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

But at the risk of losing out on drafting someone like Trayveon Williams? That's a tough call for me, man.

It could go either way.  There will be RBs and TEs available at #87 and at #126 and that precludes any trades Pace may make.

If a RB and TE Pace has ranked nearly the same are both sitting there at #87 I really have no idea which way he'll go.  We have needs at both spots and the supply at both is good so flip a coin.

This much I am certain of though.  We need to draft a RB and add another as an UDFA.  And unless Nagy feels Braunecker is ready to step into a much bigger role as a receiver we need to draft another TE as well if only for depth and competition for that #3 spot.

Braunecker's Combine numbers topped everyone else's yet he fell out of the draft completely and he hasn't ascended all that much as a pro.  So much like Shaheen he's either gonna step up or remain where he's at and be replaced this year or next.  It's a deep class for TEs so we might as well take one.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ben-braunecker?id=2555482

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Can you truly say they don't have TE depth? It may not be great depth but how many teams do at TE? I think Shaheen stinks but I think Braunecker is better than an average #3 TE and Burton led the team (or close to it) in TD catches.

I think there is no depth. I think Braunecker is a back up you don't want starting.  He doesn't suck, but he is doesn't really help you either.

I am not on the Shaheen stinks bandwagon a lot of people here seem to be on.   I think he has been oft injured and hasn't developed yet.   Of course if you can't stay healthy that is a brand of stink.  Two years isn't a pattern though, 3 years is.  

Either way I am not passing judgement on him yet.   All indications in last year's offseason were that he was going to be a contributor leading up to the season.  His injury derailed all of that.

This is year I would judge any player with potential.  At conclusion of his third year.

I think if he can't play performance wise or is hurt for much of this year he is an unfortunate bust.  

Shaheen play last year in pre season - doesn't look slow or plodding like he looked when he came back from injury:

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/adam-shaheen-shows-speed-on-29-yard-reception

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am not advocating cutting Shaheen.

He needs actual competition from someone with a long term future.

I think @soulmanmay have a point regarding his weight.

I think his success or failure may be a matter of him getting into and staying in incredible shape.  He can't just roll out and be good, he doesn't have that kind of talent.

He needs to be flexible and svelte or is he going to keep getting these lower body injuries.  

He needs to train in off season like Payton or Rice if he truly wants to be good, forget good, if he wants to start in this league and have a career..

14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We assume he has upside because of where he was drafted, if he was a 5th round pick he would be in a battle to make the team.

What if we assumed to much upside from a guy who played division II?

We are no longer in the phase of team building where guys get multiple years to "find themselves" every year for the next 4 years is a precious chance to compete for a Super Bowl. Shaheen needs significant competition for his job.

His scouting report says he does; http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/adam-shaheen?id=2558144

If we have (and Pace as well) it's because of his scouting report and what they saw in his game tapes and at the Combine.

I don't disagree he may have been overdrafted based on his inexperience as a TE in a major program but given his size and pass catching ability he wouldn't have lasted another round.  If we didn't gamble on him I'm convinced someone else would have.

I've already said this is a make or break year for Shaheen and Braunecker as well so the need to take a TE is definitely there.  But even then it's gonna b a guy we'll need some time to develop and work into the offense.  At least one of these guys needs to ascend quickly and Shaheen is first on the list.

One question I have is just how well equipped is Braunecker to handle playing as a "Y" TE vs a "Move TE"?  He's 20lbs heavier than Burton and his college credentials as a blocker were good but then that was against Ivy League competition.  So can Braunecker also be counted on to push Shaheen?

Shaheen looked much better late in 2017 and last preseason until his injury which was a bad break for him and us.  His blocking has improved and he's a definite redzone threat but as I posted it may be better for him to play closer to 260lbs if that helps his mobility and won't impact his blocking.

One think I'm unsure of is just what does Nagy want from him and that "Y" position in general.  Burton's role as his "U" TE is a specialized role and it's defined but I'm less clear on the rest especially after they opted to keep Sims around last year.  When someone refers to anyone being an OT in a TE body it would be Sims far more than Shaheen.  I believe a few are being far too critical of his athletic ability as a receiver.

45 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am not advocating cutting Shaheen.

He needs actual competition from someone with a long term future.

Agreed assuming we can find that guy in the middle rounds of this draft and while several who may fall to us rank as potential starters none are ranked as sure things so much like Shaheen and Braunecker some time spent in development is a likelihood.

37 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think @soulmanmay have a point regarding his weight.

I think his success or failure may be a matter of him getting into and staying in incredible shape.  He can't just roll out and be good, he doesn't have that kind of talent.

He needs to be flexible and svelte or is he going to keep getting these lower body injuries.  

He needs to train in off season like Payton or Rice if he truly wants to be good, forget good, if he wants to start in this league and have a career..

I'd call this accurate on both counts.

Shaheen is a big naturally strong guy but very inexperienced even as a college TE where by his physical traits alone he could dominate.

His weight itself may be less important than being in top condition to play at that weight.  If can carry 270lbs easily enough great but if not my feeling is the training staff should be working with him to drop some weight and pick up some speed and flexibility without losing strength to block as a "Y" TE.

I don't see Shaheen ever being that downfield threat as a seam stretcher.  That's a role Zach Miller could have played had he ever been able to avoid injuries and who we really need to be looking for as far as skills go.  So I'm thinking someone whose long suit is speed and hands first and blocking second.  Miller was not a great blocker initially who became much better with some coaching.

Where I see Shaheen is as a red zone threat.  His size and his short field abilities should make him a major threat inside the 20 or on the goal line.  He's the inline blocker and dump off option going downfield and the scoring threat once were knocking on the door.  To expect more than that right now I wouldn't do.

On 4/15/2019 at 12:07 PM, WindyCity said:

It was on NFL Network last week.

Shaheen may as well have been an OLmen. Charles Leno would probably attract the same attention in coverage.

So, we have a #1 TE that has reliability issues. A #2 TE that teams do not bother to cover when he is not missing 50% of the games in his career. Our #3 TE is a special teams guy who works hard on offense.

For a TE focused offense that seems light.

I've had it sitting on the DVR.

It's been almost 15 weeks... I'm finally going to re-watch this ******* game.

5 hours ago, G08 said:
On 4/15/2019 at 11:07 AM, WindyCity said:

It was on NFL Network last week.

Shaheen may as well have been an OLmen. Charles Leno would probably attract the same attention in coverage.

So, we have a #1 TE that has reliability issues. A #2 TE that teams do not bother to cover when he is not missing 50% of the games in his career. Our #3 TE is a special teams guy who works hard on offense.

For a TE focused offense that seems light.

Maybe I'm just not as down on Shaheen as others.

I believe his injuries have been a much bigger factor in his lack of ascension than his physical ability as a receiving TE but I don't see a Travis Kelce v2.0 there either.  IF he can remain uninjured for once I believe Nagy will figure out how best to use him as a starter but the guy does have serious red zone scoring potential.

All that aside we do need a TE and luckily this draft has maybe a half dozen or so slotted as mid round picks so we take one.

4 hours ago, soulman said:

Maybe I'm just not as down on Shaheen as others.

I believe his injuries have been a much bigger factor in his lack of ascension than his physical ability as a receiving TE but I don't see a Travis Kelce v2.0 there either.  IF he can remain uninjured for once I believe Nagy will figure out how best to use him as a starter but the guy does have serious red zone scoring potential.

All that aside we do need a TE and luckily this draft has maybe a half dozen or so slotted as mid round picks so we take one.

I’m with you. Before he got hurt last year in the preseason everything everyone saw in TC and in the first preseason game was that Shaheen looked fluent, athletic and like a breakout candidate. That ankle injury was no small injury - not only was it probably a lengthy heal but also I recall it having him on one of those knee scooter things for several weeks which probably killed his conditioning too. We definitely didn’t get that same athletic looking guy back toward the end of the season when he returned.

We have to plan for injury or absence for he or Burton within reason, but IMO if we take a TE at 87 with our top pick in the draft that isn’t adding competition for Shaheen - that’s replacing him as the #2, and I just don’t see them being at that place with him yet if for no other reason than that Pace took him knowing he may be a 2-year projection into getting to that potential that had him go in round 2 in the first place. If I’m right about that then the immediate need is for competition for Braunecker, not Shaheen, which is a late round need.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m with you. Before he got hurt last year in the preseason everything everyone saw in TC and in the first preseason game was that Shaheen looked fluent, athletic and like a breakout candidate. That ankle injury was no small injury - not only was it probably a lengthy heal but also I recall it having him on one of those knee scooter things for several weeks which probably killed his conditioning too. We definitely didn’t get that same athletic looking guy back toward the end of the season when he returned.

We have to plan for injury or absence for he or Burton within reason, but IMO if we take a TE at 87 with our top pick in the draft that isn’t adding competition for Shaheen - that’s replacing him as the #2, and I just don’t see them being at that place with him yet if for no other reason than that Pace took him knowing he may be a 2-year projection into getting to that potential that had him go in round 2 in the first place. If I’m right about that then the immediate need is for competition for Braunecker, not Shaheen, which is a late round need.  

Not necessarily.  Nagy defines three TE positions in his offense not two.

Shaheen is a "Y" player.  An inline TE who can also catch.  A Gronk type, just not that good.

Burton is a "U" player.  He's playing in the slot and helps the QB to identify coverages.  He's half TE and half big WR.

A draftee should be a "Move" player.  Good enough to line up and block in two TE alignments and fast enough and athletic enough to threaten the seam.  That's our third TE position.

Zach Miller was our "Move" type TE until he was injured.  He's essentially the guy we haven't replaced with anyone else.  Daniel Brown kind of did as far as receiving goes but he was too small to line up on the line.  We kept Sims somewhat for that reason but he was a horrible receiver.  Braunecker is in line for that role but can he handle it?

So IMHO any TE we draft is coming in to challenge Braunecker at least initially.

Edited by soulman

I’d like to add that I don’t necessarily think of Shaheen as an injury risk - yet. The ankle injury in Denver was gruesome; it happened about 20 feet in front of me and we were sure that his season was over. The cause was his cleat sticking in the sod. No one would have survived that unscathed.

In the days before, he looked to be a big part of the offense and was moving fluidly and demonstrated good hands. I’m still high on his future. That said, if he has more concussions this year, than I’ll be leary of his utility moving forward. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I don't view the Move TE as an integral part of this offense though. What's most important is having a Y who can actually threaten something.

But it is an integral position because Nagy has made it so. 

Remember Burton is not used like a true TE.  He's more of an oversize slot receiver whom Nagy and Mitch can use to entice the defense to reveal their coverage.  He can be lined up at different spots and can catch very well and due to his size he's a tough cover for a nickel or slot CB in man coverage.

Had Zach Miller still been playing in 2019 I think we would have seen far more out of the "F" TE spot but in truth we lacked a true Move TE who could be used both as a receiver and as a second in line blocker.  Braunecker is as close as we come to it right now and he's nowhere near as good as Miller was or at least he hasn't show it yet.

If Shaheen can threaten the seam routes it would lessen the need for a better "F" type somewhat but still not eliminate is altogether plus that player will also have to back Burton who appears to have some issues he needs to deal with.  If we can't draft a decent TE prospect I'd say there's 100% chance  Pace will sign a vet FA who can fill that role.  We've had as many as 5 TEs on the roster before.