Mock Before the Real Thing

SDotNova

Man the time between the combine and the draft is way too long. Anyways, I've been contemplating the whole trade down thing. Seems like some like Allen and Bosa so much that they would only trade down if they get a haul. I fall in the category of people who want to trade down as long as we get a reasonable offer. So, if you are a haul guy, you probably won't like this mock. I used thedraftnetwork simulator to see what players could be available when we pick. 

Prior to the draft, the NY Giants trade pick #37 for Josh Rosen QB

Day 1 of the draft:

1 (1): Arizona selects Kyler Murray QB

1 (2): San Fran selects Nick Bosa Edge

1 (3): The NY Jets trade pick #3 to the Washington Redskins for picks #15, #46, #76, 2020 2nd round pick, 2020 3rd round pick. Jets get a volume of Day 2 picks and Skins get to keep their 2020 1st round pick. The Skins trade up for Dwayne Haskins QB.

1 (15) from WAS: Andre Dillard OT Washington State

Jets trade pick 2020 2nd Round Pick (NYJ) and pick #68 (NYJ) for Frank Clark Edge. Clark eventually gets a 5 year $95M contract with $40M guaranteed.

Day 2 of the draft:

2 (46) from WAS: Elgton Jenkins iOL Mississippi State

3 (76) from WAS: Andy Isabella WR UMass

3 (93): Miles Boykin WR Notre Dame

Day 3 of the draft:

4 (108): Josh Oliver TE San Jose State

Quick Recap. The trade back essentially gives us the ammunition to trade for Frank Clark as well as puts us in position to solidify the Offensive Line in the near-term and long-term. Essentially we passed up the opportunity to draft Josh Allen Edge for Andre Dillard, Elgton Jenkins and Frank Clark.

Roster Assessment: Our offense is set. We have quality starters at the skill positions. We also have quality depth behind Enunwa and Crowder who are injury risks and Anderson who has 1 year left on his deal. The weak spots on offense are RG and RT where we have below average starters. On defense, we are mostly set. The main weakness is #2 CB. Jordan Jenkins can also stand to be upgraded as he is a below average starter. 

2020 Draft: We have our pick in 1st, Washington's pick in 2nd, and 2 picks in the 3rd round. 

9 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

No way Isabella or Oliver are there at your spots....Also who’s rushing the passer for us?

Frank Clark is rushing the passer.

I was surprised Isabella was available when that pick came up. If not him, then there are other WRs I think would be good options. This draft is deep with WRs who could #2 or #3 guys. Not many, if any, #1 guys though.

5 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

No way Isabella or Oliver are there at your spots....Also who’s rushing the passer for us? 

Edit: nvm missed the Frank Clark Trade, but I doubt Macc would do that

He's not the high character guy Macc likes. But I think it would make sense for us to trade for him if we are able to trade back and pick up additional draft capital. 

2 hours ago, rampantjet said:

I like where your head is at with this one.  

Thanks. I’m all about the trade back. Based on the latest reports about Macc wanting to trade back even at a discount, it sounds like Macc is all about the trade back as well.

8 hours ago, Rich51 said:

I ‘d be happy if this happened. I like both Isabella and Boykin. Clark has 32 sacks in the last three seasons. And I really hope we get a decent center along with another upgrade at either T or G.

Thanks. I’m hoping Macc considers getting Clark. Seattle doesn’t seem to be asking for the moon. They said bidding starts at a 2nd. That seems reasonable and I would do it as long as we trade back. Otherwise, we just don’t have the draft capital to make that move.

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

No way this will happen. The Jets are not dropping from 3 to 15 without getting the Skins 2020 first round pick. I stopped after that. The jets would just keep the pick and take Allen.

Why just take Allen when you can trade back and be in position to pickup a LT, C and have the capital to trade for Frank Clark? 

This mock is what I would do. I would just want a fair deal to trade back. And to me 4 extra day 2 picks while still being in the middle of the 1st is better for the Jets than #3 Pick. But there’s recent reports that Macc is willing to take a discount to trade back. So it’s not as unlikely as you are suggesting. Maybe that’s a smokescreen. Maybe not.

You are willing to drop down 12 spots and not get another 1st in return is just not right in my book. You have teams that move down just a few spots and get an extra first round pick. That is why I'm against this. When Mac says discount he does not mean give the pick away. I also feel that you can get starter OL guys in the 4-6 rounds.

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

You are willing to drop down 12 spots and not get another 1st in return is just not right in my book. You have teams that move down just a few spots and get an extra first round pick. That is why I'm against this. When Mac says discount he does not mean give the pick away. I also feel that you can get starter OL guys in the 4-6 rounds.

In the last 10 drafts, per profootball reference, 24 drafted OL made the pro bowl 55 times.

38 times were by first rounders, 6 second, 9 third, 1 fourth and 1 seventh.

sure you can get starters on day three but like every position, the better players usually go early

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

Of course you can get a starting iOL later in the draft. You can also get a starting QB, Wr, EL, etc. But the odds of landing a quality starter greatly drops as Rich51 states. That sort of thinking is really old school and, quite frankly, not relevant anymore. 1.   College programs are not producing pro ready OT’s due to the nature of the college offenses.  This makes getting a quality iOL even more important nowadays. That position has not changed as much in the college ranks. 2.  The quality of DT has improved in college. This makes protecting the QB from “up the middle pressure” more important.

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Yes, because I don’t see a guy at the top of this draft that is a can’t miss all pro. The draft value chart is a guide and assumes the top 3 picks are going to be elite. Now if you feel Josh Allen is the next Khalil Mack, I can understand not wanting to trade down. I just don’t see it. He looks more like Barr than Mack. And Bosa is too much of an injury risk. Q is probably the safest prospect. But is he that much better than Oliver and Tillery?  Every draft is different. This is just one person’s opinion. But to me this draft has more of a flat decline in the value of each pick than the exponential drop the draft value chart has.

Archived