Top 5 Defenses

Chiefer

16 hours ago, Chiefer said:

What are the Top 5 defenses in the NFL? 

Chiefs are so terrible at it now that id like to see what it takes to have a great defense in todays NFL.

Bears probably.

Chargers maybe.

Ravens could still be good.

Bills as well.

Pats will have a strong defense this year.

The first thing you need to look at is coverage ability. If you have 4+ DBs with above average to good coverage traits the floor of your defense is already pretty solid. Mathieu should help the Chiefs. They still need 2 more good DBs in there to have an above average defense. Then can your LBs cover? Hitchens was pretty terrible from what I've seen.

As we seen with the Chiefs you can have the best pass rush but if your coverage sucks you are doomed. It wasn't even the worst in the league but they couldn't tackle either.

So what they need first is an elite secondary. I'd probably take the best corner or safety available with your first round pick.

Ravens

Jags

Bears

Top 3 that come to mind although the Ravens did lose some important pieces despite adding Thomas. Pats have no business even being mentioned. Chiefs “had” the opposite of what the Titans have. Pass-rush but no secondary. Titans have a damn good secondary but lack in pass-rush and can’t win consistently rushing 4 which is why they led the league in blitzing. Titans also have a very strong ILB core. Neither are top 5 but the Titans are a lot closer.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

2 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Ravens

Jags

Bears

Top 3 that come to mind although the Ravens did lose some important pieces despite adding Thomas. Pats have no business even being mentioned. Chiefs “had” the opposite of what the Titans have. Pass-rush but no secondary. Titans have a damn good secondary but lack in pass-rush and can’t win consistently rushing 4 which is why they led the league in blitzing. Titans also have a very strong ILB core. Neither are top 5 but the Titans are a lot closer.

Were just my first thoughts about it.

I wouldn't consider us a top 5 defense but we will likely be top 5 in points given up.

My top 5 after thinking about more would be

Bears

Chargers

Ravens

Cowboys

Jaguars

Bears - Clear #1 based off last season, no doubt about it, they are a great group and should be as good or better next year.  Dominating DL at times, great LB play and solid tough DBs

Saints - Could be near the top if they get some more LB help, have a solid secondary and a stacked DL with Malcom Brown now along with their other stars there.  

Ravens -  I doubt will be as good this year as they were last year with all they lost especially Mosley and Weddle not to mention Suggs.  At least they got Earl Thomas and some good young players coming back especially in the secondary.

Vikings- The lack of talk about them is pathetic, no one has even brought them up.  They have Barr back, Rhodes, Hunter, Smith.  They have as much talent as any defensive unit across the board.  Just can they play up to their potential something they did not do last season yet were still were a top 5 defense in the NFL, also need some youth on the DL and possibly at one LB or S spot.

Jaguars - On paper they look solid but took a step back last year but could have been an offensive issue that hurt them.  Do have aging players on the DL will see if they can reload that a little.

Cowboys - Good on all levels and should be even better this year if they can fill some holes on the DL.  A real up and coming secondary as well.

Chargers - Surprisingly good last season, they are young and if they can fill their LB with Emanuel retiring they could be good again, have stars in James and Bosa along with some others.

Bills - Surprising how good the Bills were ranked last year considering they are not loaded with top end talent, will see if that can continue.

Steelers- If that young secondary can continue to grow maybe, also if they can get more talent at the ILB spot would help but they should be solid as always.

Arizona - On paper they look pretty solid if they get some more DL help, they have top end talent at a variety of positions but that pass happy offense will not help them any.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Bears probably.

Chargers maybe.

Ravens could still be good.

Bills as well.

Pats will have a strong defense this year.

The first thing you need to look at is coverage ability. If you have 4+ DBs with above average to good coverage traits the floor of your defense is already pretty solid. Mathieu should help the Chiefs. They still need 2 more good DBs in there to have an above average defense. Then can your LBs cover? Hitchens was pretty terrible from what I've seen.

As we seen with the Chiefs you can have the best pass rush but if your coverage sucks you are doomed. It wasn't even the worst in the league but they couldn't tackle either.

So what they need first is an elite secondary. I'd probably take the best corner or safety available with your first round pick.

On paper the Patriots are nothing special and losing Flowers will hurt I think.  But they run the ball a lot which helps and have Gilmore who is one of the best in the NFL no doubt.  Solid LB play and find guys other teams pass on, will see what Bennett can do for them in terms of pass rush.  Losing Malcom Brown is big as well, he will be missed but if they draft well they could fill a lot of holes.  Their DB play is very solid with a ton of Super Bowl experienced vets so that will be the strong point of the unit, and fill in like usual when needed at DL and LB.  

Will be curious what they do in the draft, offense might be the 1st and 2nd round pick with a QB or TE potentially, late 2nd I think K. Saunders could be a great get at DT.  Then finding a guy like Sutton Smith in the 3rd could help the pass rush, then could get a end like Banogu as well in that round.  Be curious what they do and what they fill, already brought in Matt LaCosse and more importantly Austin Seferian Jenkins to help fill that large super big TE role Gronk filled, could save Seferian-Jenkins career, a talented kid but never has been that great when it mattered.  

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

1. Bears

2. Jaguars

3. Ravens

4. Chargers

5. Redskins

That's my projected top 5 defenses in 2019.

I agree with the Redskins, good call.  If they get a good draft with Allen and Payne up front, Kerrigan and Anderson on the edges and with Landon Collins at safety with Norman at corner, they could for sure be a good group that will be helped by the old school power run game they got going on as well.

For the defenses mentioned here. It might be helpful to list the offseason moves being made to determine what has changed with them.

For example the only real loss to the Cowboys defense might only be Randy Gregory. But they added Robert Quinn as well as George Iloka in the secondary who will probably replace Jeff Heath.

On paper it looks like they definitely took a step foward. On top of that it seems they are looking to draft heavy on defense suspiciously I think safety such as Jonathan Abram, Taylor Rapp, or my preference Juan Thornhill.  Any of those 3 and I am willing to say we will have vastly improved on defense.

The Ravens upgraded big time at FS. Weddle was no longer an asset in terms of after the snap play. With their deep CB group, this is the clear best secondary on the league on paper.

Mosley, Suggs, and Z. Smith are a lot of production to replace. But, I don't doubt the Ravens being able to churn out top quality linebackers. Guys like Patrick Onwuasor and Kenny Young inside and Tyus Bowser and Tim Williams on the edge have each had flashes as depth players and could become the next in line for Ravens defenders who burst on to the scene and get huge money in FA in 2 years. This will likely be a much faster, more explosive defense, and we'll have to see if it offsets the experience loss.

Plus they'll probably use all their top picks on defense because they don't believe in having good offensive skill players.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

The Ravens upgraded big time at FS. Weddle was no longer an asset in terms of after the snap play. With their deep CB group, this is the clear best secondary on the league on paper.

Mosley, Suggs, and Z. Smith are a lot of production to replace. But, I don't doubt the Ravens being able to churn out top quality linebackers. Guys like Patrick Onwuasor and Kenny Young inside and Tyus Bowser and Tim Williams on the edge have each had flashes as depth players and could become the next in line for Ravens defenders who burst on to the scene and get huge money in FA in 2 years. This will likely be a much faster, more explosive defense, and we'll have to see if it offsets the experience loss.

Plus they'll probably use all their top picks on defense because they don't believe in having good offensive skill players.

Signing Bethel at CB helps and Humphrey is a potential star and same with Jimmy Smith, and they got Cyrus Jones and Averett who have potential as well.  Safety with Jefferson and Earl Thomas is decent but the depth they need to get some help, Elliott might be something but might not and who knows what Earl is like after the injury.

Missing Mosley is huge, Kenny Young is not CJ Mosley and never will be.  Ok enough will see but he is not a elite level talent.  They have not replacement for the leadership and passion of Suggs that is a fact I feel.  Bowser is ok and same with Williams but Judon is by far their best LB it is not even close.  Will see if they can draft Devin Bush to fill in as a ILB or get another LB or two.  They might be able to get Brian Burns which would be nice but Bush is who they need and he will probably be gone and there are not many other backers to pick from outside of Devin White who will also be gone.  

Still leadership wise they will really really really miss Suggs, that is my guess.