Top 5 Defenses

Chiefer

4 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Anyway top 5 on what is it?

Top end talent?

Overall depth?

scoring defense?

total defense?

You stack all teams together and which ones would you consider the top 5 best defenses in the league. It's your opinion on what that entails.

Chiefs are so bad at defense now that id like to see what it tAkes to be top 5 defense in this new age of offense.

For a D to be truly dominant, I want to see elite pass rush, above average run D, and DB's that can cover & take the ball away.

CHI is the easy pick - but we should be wary of Fangio's departure, since it was a zone scheme that relied on pressure and really opportunistic ball-hawking skills from guys like Eddie Jackson.  The CB's were the most vulnerable area IMO if pressure didn't get there.

LAC had a huge issue with run D especially after MLB Perryman went down - but getting Jerry Tillery at DT and getting Perryman back, plus adding S Adderly, that's just unfair.  

CLE definitely isn't getting enough love IMO - they added huge assets for pass coverage and DL pressure with Sheldon Richardson and Olivier Vernon joining Myles Garrett.

BAL & JAX have some key guys to replace, so I'm a little leery there.  I agree that WAS's DC is the biggest issue, the talent is solid (and I do wonder if the O hamstrings them).   The need for the O to not put the D in bad spots is what limits both WAS, and potentially BUF.  Talent-wise, no denying what each unit has.

On 5/9/2019 at 12:52 PM, Buckweath said:

They are going to have a better Dline than the Chargers who seem to be a popular pick in this thread, both for the starting unit and the depth.

No they dont and won't. Stop with the craziness. Chargers have 1 of the best dlines in the league. If Tillery pans out, they might have the best. KC isnt even in the discussion.

On 5/11/2019 at 3:40 PM, Broncofan said:

For a D to be truly dominant, I want to see elite pass rush, above average run D, and DB's that can cover & take the ball away.

CHI is the easy pick - but we should be wary of Fangio's departure, since it was a zone scheme that relied on pressure and really opportunistic ball-hawking skills from guys like Eddie Jackson.  The CB's were the most vulnerable area IMO if pressure didn't get there.

LAC had a huge issue with run D especially after MLB Perryman went down - but getting Jerry Tillery at DT and getting Perryman back, plus adding S Adderly, that's just unfair.  

CLE definitely isn't getting enough love IMO - they added huge assets for pass coverage and DL pressure with Sheldon Richardson and Olivier Vernon joining Myles Garrett.

BAL & JAX have some key guys to replace, so I'm a little leery there.  I agree that WAS's DC is the biggest issue, the talent is solid (and I do wonder if the O hamstrings them).   The need for the O to not put the D in bad spots is what limits both WAS, and potentially BUF.  Talent-wise, no denying what each unit has.

I think Cleveland's defense could finish in the top 10-12 this year, but we do have some question marks. Our run defense was atrocious last year (after being literally the only good thing about the team the year prior). I think it should improve this year, but the question is how much? Hopefully if our offense plays up to its potential, then most teams will be forced to abandon the run against us. But yes, Richardson and Vernon should prove to be huge additions after really lacking depth along the DL last year. Vernon was a bit of a disappointment in NY considering his contract, but he was pretty much the only thing opposing offenses had to focus on in their front seven, especially once Harrison was traded. Hopefully with Garrett getting most of the attention, Vernon can take advantage of that and produce. I've heard some Vikings fans say that Richardson wasn't very good for them. Even if that's the case, he's still definitely an improvement over Coley.

One thing that most Browns fans are worried about is that in the past, Wilks has shown that he likes to play zone coverage. And guys like Ward and Greedy are better off playing man-to-man. Now, will Wilks be stubborn and make them play zone, or will he adjust his defense to fit the strengths of his players? Hopefully it's the latter of the two options.

We also have some question marks at LB, but I think we'll ultimately be okay there.

26 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I think Cleveland's defense could finish in the top 10-12 this year, but we do have some question marks. Our run defense was atrocious last year (after being literally the only good thing about the team the year prior). I think it should improve this year, but the question is how much? Hopefully if our offense plays up to its potential, then most teams will be forced to abandon the run against us. But yes, Richardson and Vernon should prove to be huge additions after really lacking depth along the DL last year. Vernon was a bit of a disappointment in NY considering his contract, but he was pretty much the only thing opposing offenses had to focus on in their front seven, especially once Harrison was traded. Hopefully with Garrett getting most of the attention, Vernon can take advantage of that and produce. I've heard some Vikings fans say that Richardson wasn't very good for them. Even if that's the case, he's still definitely an improvement over Coley.

One thing that most Browns fans are worried about is that in the past, Wilks has shown that he likes to play zone coverage. And guys like Ward and Greedy are better off playing man-to-man. Now, will Wilks be stubborn and make them play zone, or will he adjust his defense to fit the strengths of his players? Hopefully it's the latter of the two options.

We also have some question marks at LB, but I think we'll ultimately be okay there.

Always have to respect a hometown fan who preaches caution.  Far more likely to be correct IMO than the optimism-runs-eternal takes.   

It would be royally dumb to draft Ward then Greedy for a zone scheme.  Their mirroring skills fit a man scheme so well going predominantly zone would negate their biggest asset.   I do get the concerns on Wilks preference but man that’s a weird plan if they knew Wilks wants to institute a zone scheme with those CB’s skill sets.  We’ll see.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearerofnews said:

No they dont and won't. Stop with the craziness. Chargers have 1 of the best dlines in the league. If Tillery pans out, they might have the best. KC isnt even in the discussion.

Lol. I do like the Chiefs Dline slightly better than the Chargers looking at this upcoming season.

Jones/Clark vs Bosa/Ingram is a wash or favors the Chiefs as Clark is on the rise whilst Ingram is 30 years old.

Nnadi = Tillery as the latter has a higher ceiling and should be better long term but the former has a year under his belt and is on the rise, looking only at this season. I guess you could make a case that Tillery will already be better this season but not sure about that.

Okafor for sure better than old man Mebane and the Chiefs also have better depth as they are stacked at both DT and DE.

• 4 months later...

On 9/14/2019 at 6:37 AM, SBLIII said:

Bills

Patriots

Titans

Bears

Vikings

Agreed, if Minnesota can get healthy DBs back in Hughes and Alexander they could be great with that pass rush which now greatly includes Barr into the mix with Hunter and Griffen.  Looked like crap against Green Bay early but shut them out basically the entire rest of the game after that bad start without Hughes or Alexander in the slot and Kearse playing slot corner.

Patriots have a great secondary with a lot of depth, Bears are a solid unit across the board no question but have been lucky with only a few injuries outside of Jackson last year if I remember right.  And what happened with Chung wasn't he caught with like cocaine or something this offseason?  How is he playing?  Still the last thing they needed was Antonio Brown and now they got him, heck might as well give the damn Super Bowl to them right now, will be like when they had Randy Moss all over again.