Top 5 Defenses

Chiefer

24 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Missing Mosley is huge, Kenny Young is not CJ Mosley and never will be.  Ok enough will see but he is not a elite level talent.  They have not replacement for the leadership and passion of Suggs that is a fact I feel.  Bowser is ok and same with Williams but Judon is by far their best LB it is not even close.

I agree that it's unlikely that Young or Onwuasor reach Mosley level, or even the slowed down/banged up level Mosley was at for much of last year.

But, I think Bowser and Williams have all the potential in the world. Judon is solid, but I think there's a reasonable chance that one of the former two break out to a double digit sack total. I've been very high on both since they were drafted and they have a clear path to the field now.

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I agree that it's unlikely that Young or Onwuasor reach Mosley level, or even the slowed down/banged up level Mosley was at for much of last year.

But, I think Bowser and Williams have all the potential in the world. Judon is solid, but I think there's a reasonable chance that one of the former two break out to a double digit sack total. I've been very high on both since they were drafted and they have a clear path to the field now.

Tim Williams has potential but is clearly weak at the point of attack and moving guys with his hands and has a little bit overrated athletic ability.  Sure coming out of Bama after that Spring game looked like a lock top 10 pick, clearly things did not turn out that way and his combine was a little lack luster considering he is supposed to be an athletic speed rush.  Potential sure but he has what 2 sacks in his career and Judon has 19 and had 8 and 7 the past two seasons.  Far more production and I would put more faith in Judon than Bowser or Williams.  They most likely draft Brian Burns if they can because he might be the only option as a 3/4 LB around at that time they draft 1st round.

But looking at it more maybe they draft Harry or AJ Brown because that WR core right now is as weak as any in the NFL especially now without Crabtree.

I don't want to get ahead of myself but the Bills had the 2nd ranked D last season and 7th in 2017. I think we have the chance to be the best D in the league this season after adding a penetrating 3 technique in McDermotts aggressive defense. 

DL : Ed Oliver, Jerry Hughes, Star Lotulelei, Shaq Lawson

LBs : Tremaine Edmunds, Matt Milano, Lorenzo Alexander

Secondary : Tre Davious White, Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde, EJ Gaines, Levi Wallace. 

With the studs being Edmunds, Milano, White, Poyer, Hyde, Hughes and hopefully Oliver. 

6 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

I don't want to get ahead of myself but the Bills had the 2nd ranked D last season and 7th in 2017. I think we have the chance to be the best D in the league this season after adding a penetrating 3 technique in McDermotts aggressive defense. 

DL : Ed Oliver, Jerry Hughes, Star Lotulelei, Shaq Lawson

LBs : Tremaine Edmunds, Matt Milano, Lorenzo Alexander

Secondary : Tre Davious White, Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde, EJ Gaines, Levi Wallace. 

With the studs being Edmunds, Milano, White, Poyer, Hyde, Hughes and hopefully Oliver. 

That's fair. If well-coached, they definitely can be no.1. 

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Minnesota still had a top 5 defense last year, we just had a bad start to the season, and the offense was a mess with JDF running it, although Cousins, Diggs and Thielen were putting up numbers.

A better offense for Minnesota will almost certainly help a great defense.

I really only watched the Vikings when they faced the Rams...and you guys did not look like a top 5 defense. More like bottom 5. And I don't see you guys being better this year. 

4 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Redskins and 49ers will shoot up the list.

GB will be in the mix for most improved defense as well. Might not be top 5 yet, though.

Za'Darius Smith, Preston Smith, Adrian Amos,  Rashan Gary, Darnell Savage are all added starters/significant contributors. Then factor in Kevin King (CB1) returning from injury and hopeful two year jumps from Jaire Alexander (CB2) and Josh Jackson (CB3) and you have a defense poised to make a large improvement.

Defense is completely rebuilt and there are some really nice pieces anchored by an elite DT (Clark). Success will hinge on how the young CBs play this year.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

GB will be in the mix for most improved defense as well. Might not be top 5 yet, though.

Za'Darius Smith, Preston Smith, Adrian Amos,  Rashan Gary, Darnell Savage are all added starters/significant contributors. Then factor in Kevin King (CB1) returning from injury and hopeful two year jumps from Jaire Alexander (CB2) and Josh Jackson (CB3) and you have a defense poised to make a large improvement.

Defense is completely rebuilt and there are some really nice pieces anchored by an elite DT (Clark). Success will hinge on how the young CBs play this year.

Shame on you for not even mentioning Mike Daniels! ;)