2019 Western Conference First Round Thread

11sanchez11

On 4/13/2019 at 11:59 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Damn, Murray had a GREAT look there. He's going to be the key to the Nuggets playoff run as I've been saying for months. Late game it was Murray or bust. Made some plays but missed a lot of great looks and rushed a few shots. @champ11

I was pretty pissed Saturday night. After sitting on it, I think the Nugs are okay. They didn't play well and I still think it's a strong matchup for them. If they can make adjustments and hit shots they should be fine.

People have been killing Jokic for his defense for 2 years and he was fantastic defensively in his first playoff game. Clamped LMA. So I do like the matchup for the Nugs - they simply need to be better on offense. Kind of crumbled against Pop and how the Spurs played....and that's okay. First playoff game. Hopefully they bounce back.

My man Murray was terrible in that game. Just brutal. I think Jokic was very good but did pass up a couple shots in the 2nd half he just needs to take and had a terrible late turnover cuz he tried to pass instead of shoot. If they are going to hard double then guys need to hit wide open shots from the kickouts and the team needs to work to get the ball to Jokic more in better positions. Gonna learn alot about Malone tbh 

58 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I was pretty pissed Saturday night. After sitting on it, I think the Nugs are okay. They didn't play well and I still think it's a strong matchup for them. If they can make adjustments and hit shots they should be fine.

People have been killing Jokic for his defense for 2 years and he was fantastic defensively in his first playoff game. Clamped LMA. So I do like the matchup for the Nugs - they simply need to be better on offense. Kind of crumbled against Pop and how the Spurs played....and that's okay. First playoff game. Hopefully they bounce back.

My man Murray was terrible in that game. Just brutal. I think Jokic was very good but did pass up a couple shots in the 2nd half he just needs to take and had a terrible late turnover cuz he tried to pass instead of shoot. If they are going to hard double then guys need to hit wide open shots from the kickouts and the team needs to work to get the ball to Jokic more in better positions. Gonna learn alot about Malone tbh 

Jokic was okay, definitely wouldn't say he was very good. Could have been a bit more assertive and I think he knows it. A few times he made his mind up before he caught the ball that he was going to pass it. 

Murray is still going to be the key. Sure he didn't come through and had some bad misses, but he's the only dude on the perimeter that can get his shot off at any time and only one that could score in bunches. He did bring the squad back late in the game despite is bad finish. 

This will be a very competitive series for sure. Expect it to be 2-2 after four. 

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jokic was okay, definitely wouldn't say he was very good. Could have been a bit more assertive and I think he knows it. A few times he made his mind up before he caught the ball that he was going to pass it. 

Murray is still going to be the key. Sure he didn't come through and had some bad misses, but he's the only dude on the perimeter that can get his shot off at any time and only one that could score in bunches. He did bring the squad back late in the game despite is bad finish. 

This will be a very competitive series for sure. Expect it to be 2-2 after four. 

Yeah I agree on Jokic. It should have been a 20 assist night if the Nugs hit threes close to their season average. But he passed out of doubles that he thought were coming in the second half and they never came. 

But yeah I mean Murray's decision making was terrible all night. He started the game off with a contested three in a 0 on 3 fastbreak lol. The Spurs wanted to give him all those meh midrange shots and if he plays at a high level and hits them the Nuggets should handle business. We'll see. I think the nugs can win one or two in SA for sure. 

20 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Yeah I agree on Jokic. It should have been a 20 assist night if the Nugs hit threes close to their season average. But he passed out of doubles that he thought were coming in the second half and they never came. 

But yeah I mean Murray's decision making was terrible all night. He started the game off with a contested three in a 0 on 3 fastbreak lol. The Spurs wanted to give him all those meh midrange shots and if he plays at a high level and hits them the Nuggets should handle business. We'll see. I think the nugs can win one or two in SA for sure. 

Murray was a bit too juiced for the game no doubt. He's an emotional player and needs to slow it down some. That is natural for a youngster making his playoff debut, no big deal.

Jokic's defense on Aldridge was definitely good. Bodied him up well and made him catch it out a lot further than he wanted to. That's going to be a key match up the rest of the series.

I want to see more Murray/Jokic pick and rolls/pops as I think Murray can get wide open 15 footers all series long or even open floaters. Aldridge would just sink down every single time and Murray was off with his floater. 

25 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Murray was a bit too juiced for the game no doubt. He's an emotional player and needs to slow it down some. That is natural for a youngster making his playoff debut, no big deal.

Jokic's defense on Aldridge was definitely good. Bodied him up well and made him catch it out a lot further than he wanted to. That's going to be a key match up the rest of the series.

I want to see more Murray/Jokic pick and rolls/pops as I think Murray can get wide open 15 footers all series long or even open floaters. Aldridge would just sink down every single time and Murray was off with his floater. 

Yeah he kept going for the kill and was just way too hyped. He's just not on that level yet, he needs to approach the game as a role player and step up once he gets settled into the game and if he's playing well. But yeah, Jamal can get open midrange at will. The thing is...San Antonio wants Jamal to have 20 fga, Barton to have 15 fga, and Jokic to have less. They gotta find a way to get Jokic more looks. The guards are getting decent looks because that's what the Spurs want...I thought SA did a fantastic job of running the guards off the 3 on a lot of shots and into pull up 2s. 

I think it's a comfortable win for Nugs Tuesday, but it's obvi a must win. Lose and season over. 

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

Yeah he kept going for the kill and was just way too hyped. He's just not on that level yet, he needs to approach the game as a role player and step up once he gets settled into the game and if he's playing well. But yeah, Jamal can get open midrange at will. The thing is...San Antonio wants Jamal to have 20 fga, Barton to have 15 fga, and Jokic to have less. They gotta find a way to get Jokic more looks. The guards are getting decent looks because that's what the Spurs want...I thought SA did a fantastic job of running the guards off the 3 on a lot of shots and into pull up 2s. 

I think it's a comfortable win for Nugs Tuesday, but it's obvi a must win. Lose and season over. 

Jokic needs to be more aggressive period. Guards got enough good enough looks they just didn't fall and of course the Spurs defense was really good. 

But Murray doesn't just need to settle for the mid range shot every single trip down, he can get his floater off as well. Aldridge is sinking low like Hibbert used to for the Pacers. Giving up the mid range and floater but protecting the rim. 

This has long series written all over it. The Nuggets should get game 2, but I'm not sure if it will be a blowout. Thinking another tight game. 

I love letting Murray run wild the way he did at the end, sucks that he couldn't deliver, but I'm spin zoning it as a learning experience. Eventually, we are going to need Murray to be able to takeover at the end. The future of the Nuggets and whether they are just a perennial playoff team that gets bounced early, or a true contender, lies in whether or not Murray can become that type of player. Even in the 90s/early 00s when the league was much more big friendly and filled with HOF talents, you saw wing players takeover games down the stretch much more than bigs. Only natural, as bigs rely on an entry pass and are easier to stop from even touching the ball in their scoring zone.

We know Jokic can be one of the best players in the game and the centerpiece of the team, but that itself is not enough to compete in the NBA (unless we're talking a top ~3 players, which he will never be...), he needs a a Kobe to his Shaq. Not saying Murray needs to even needs to be all-NBA caliber, but I would say we need him to be a fringe all-star guy, and most importantly a clutch performer. 1st playoff game, I can't say I'm too surprised he shat the bed, but LIS gotta hope it only helps him in the long run.

I'm more mad at Jokic for how passive he was, and it's clear it does get in his head. I remember in the 4th he had an open 3, hesitated, then finally decided to launch it and airballed it... It looked like his instinct was pass, but then his brain reminded him "be aggressive" and he ended up taking a contested shot he wasn't really preparing to shoot. We need the instinct in those situations to be "shoot." What's always good about Jokic though is even on off scoring nights, he is going to be a pretty large positive impact with his passing and rebounding, and the other night even his D. The team needs him scoring though. 

Pretty concerned we are suddenly down and without home court, but that being said, I saw a game where the Spurs were hitting countless well defended jumpers while we were missing countless open jumpers... Now I am willing to say that was probably a "lucky" night for the Spurs and we won't see it this whole series, but unfortunately I can't really say "you just watch, next game those jumpers will fall for us" because missing open jumpers has been our story the past month. We shall see, looks like it's going to be a very tight series.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dtait93 said:

fify 

so your argument is that a guy who takes most of his shots in the paint is flopping on every foul call he gets in the regular season? because going from averaging 11 to getting 3 based on "refs not letting him flop" is ridiculous. 

The rockets almost exclusively drive to the rim and take 3s, thats why we get so many free throw attempts. The mid range jump shot is the least fouled shot in the league. a 28-12 free throw advantage for the Jazz, just shows that the refs are aware that people complain about Houston getting fouled and they don't call them. 

still on a night where we only got 12 foul shots, we won by 32....

1 minute ago, Pastor Dillon said:

so your argument is that a guy who takes most of his shots in the paint is flopping on every foul call he gets in the regular season? because going from averaging 11 to getting 3 based on "refs not letting him flop" is ridiculous. 

The rockets almost exclusively drive to the rim and take 3s, thats why we get so many free throw attempts. The mid range jump shot is the least fouled shot in the league. a 28-12 free throw advantage for the Jazz, just shows that the refs are aware that people complain about Houston getting fouled and they don't call them. 

still on a night where we only got 12 foul shots, we won by 32....

Dude you and I both know the moment he gets touched in the slightest he flings his head back like he’s been sniped in the dome. That crap doesn’t fly in the postseason.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I love letting Murray run wild the way he did at the end, sucks that he couldn't deliver, but I'm spin zoning it as a learning experience. Eventually, we are going to need Murray to be able to takeover at the end. The future of the Nuggets and whether they are just a perennial playoff team that gets bounced early, or a true contender, lies in whether or not Murray can become that type of player. Even in the 90s/early 00s when the league was much more big friendly and filled with HOF talents, you saw wing players takeover games down the stretch much more than bigs. Only natural, as bigs rely on an entry pass and are easier to stop from even touching the ball in their scoring zone.

We know Jokic can be one of the best players in the game and the centerpiece of the team, but that itself is not enough to compete in the NBA (unless we're talking a top ~3 players, which he will never be...), he needs a a Kobe to his Shaq. Not saying Murray needs to even needs to be all-NBA caliber, but I would say we need him to be a fringe all-star guy, and most importantly a clutch performer. 1st playoff game, I can't say I'm too surprised he shat the bed, but LIS gotta hope it only helps him in the long run.

I'm more mad at Jokic for how passive he was, and it's clear it does get in his head. I remember in the 4th he had an open 3, hesitated, then finally decided to launch it and airballed it... It looked like his instinct was pass, but then his brain reminded him "be aggressive" and he ended up taking a contested shot he wasn't really preparing to shoot. We need the instinct in those situations to be "shoot." What's always good about Jokic though is even on off scoring nights, he is going to be a pretty large positive impact with his passing and rebounding, and the other night even his D. The team needs him scoring though. 

Pretty concerned we are suddenly down and without home court, but that being said, I saw a game where the Spurs were hitting countless well defended jumpers while we were missing countless open jumpers... Now I am willing to say that was probably a "lucky" night for the Spurs and we won't see it this whole series, but unfortunately I can't really say "you just watch, next game those jumpers will fall for us" because missing open jumpers has been our story the past month. We shall see, looks like it's going to be a very tight series.

I actually think Jokic can be a top 3-5 player tbh. He was borderline top 5 this year. He has a really good chance at being first team all-NBA. Needs to improve his shooting and build that Dirk-esque mid range game. But there is no doubt you need another all star or two to be a championship contender. Less convinced after this season that Murray can be that guy, but we'll see. Agreed that Murray can bounce back and it is a learning experience. 

Jokic just isn't shooting threes. He's been off. I don't really want him taking those shots...but we 100% need him to demand the ball more and go at the defender when he isn't doubled. The coaching staff and guards need to work on ways to get him the ball as well. I think Jokic was pretty flawless in the first half and then probably passed up on 5ish opportunities to attack the defense in the 2nd half and had that trash turnover at the end that he should have shot. Jokic put the team in position to hit open shots and they didn't do that...that was the Spurs plan. I think if they keep going to that plan we can kill them. We'll see tho. 

Sucks for Boogie, gotta hope it's only a sprain. But didn't look good. He's missing out on the max two consecutive seasons and may never get that contract that once looked like a sure thing.

Steph is just ridiculous. He's in store for a monster postseason.