Jrry32 First Mock of April

jrry32

I've been a little busy of late, so I haven't been able to put out a mock. Here's a scenario that has been on my mind of late.
Trade
LA Rams trade Round 1 Pick #31
Cleveland Browns trade Round 2 Pick #17 and Round 3 Pick #16

LA Rams trade Round 3 Pick #16 and Round 3 Pick #36
Buffalo Bills trade Round 3 Pick #10 and Round 4 Pick #10

The Browns are rumored to be interested in moving up. As one of the last picks in the first round, there should be plenty of interest due to the fifth-year option. We move up with the Bills to ensure we land a guy who has fallen further than he should.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #17 - Jachai Polite OLB Florida
Summary: Polite's stock has taken a huge hit during the draft process, but he's one of the top 20 talents in this draft and can rush the passer like few can. He needs to find the right weight for his frame and mature a bit, but he's an extraordinarily gifted edge rusher who plays hard on the field. I'd compare him to DeMarcus Lawrence of the Cowboys, who also had some concerns about his maturity coming out.

Round 3 Pick #10 - Taylor Rapp S Washington
Summary: Rapp is seeing his draft stock fall after running a 40 in the 4.7s at his Pro Day. That doesn't dissuade me at all. Rapp is as technically sound, intelligent, and reliable as they come with the ability to slide down into the slot and cover slot WRs due to his quickness and physicality. We're landing an outstanding all-around player here. I'd compare him to Lawyer Milloy.

Round 3 Pick #31 - Kahale Warring TE San Diego State
Summer: If it's not clear at this point, I want the Rams to draft Kahale Warring. He's a phenomenal athlete with the ability to be a major mismatch in the passing game. I'm blown away by his movement skills and body control. He also has the ability to be a quality inline blocker. Basically, he's the perfect Higbee replacement. My comparison for him is Zach Ertz.

Round 4 Pick #10 - Michael Jordan OG/C Ohio State
Summary: Jordan's interior versatility will be appealing to the Rams, and Kromer will love his frame and power. Jordan still has some technical inconsistencies to iron out (especially at Center), but he has the power, anchor, and punch to be a quality starter at both LG and Center with some development.

Round 4 Pick #31 - Chuma Edoga OT/OG Southern Cal
Analysis: For my money, Edoga is the most underrated OL in this Draft. He has major technical issues to solve as a pass protector (punching timing and placement are poor, leans into blocks, etc.) and needs to get stronger, but Edoga has starting LT feet and length with tremendous body control and agility. On top of that, he's a highly effective run blocker. With some development, he could start at any position on the line, outside of Center.

Round 5 Pick #31 - Cortez Broughton DT Cincinnati
Summary: If it's not clear at this point, Broughton is another player I'd really like us to draft. He had a very productive senior year and has the explosive first step to be a very disruptive DT. On top of that, he has the strength and anchor to hold up as a run defender and has had success rushing from both the interior and DE spots. I think he has massive potential as a Day 3 pick.

Round 6 Pick #31 - Cameron Smith ILB Southern Cal
Summary: Smith is the type of LB who does everything well but isn't special at any one thing. He's a solid, reliable player with above average athleticism who should contribute on special teams and could develop into a solid all-around starter.

Round 7 Pick #37 - Easton Stick QB North Dakota State
Analysis: I am a big fan of Easton Stick. He's a great athlete who is very elusive in the pocket and checks off all the intangibles. His arm is middling, but he's a smart kid who operates well in a run-first play-action heavy offense. It doesn't hurt that he has the best play-action fake in the Draft. I see him as a kid worth developing behind Goff and Bortles.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
XWR: Brandin Cooks
ZWR: Robert Woods
SLWR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Tyler Higbee or Gerald Everett
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Joe Noteboom
C: Brian Allen
RG: Austin Blythe
RT: Rob Havenstein

5T: John Franklin-Myers
NT: Michael Brockers
3T: Aaron Donald
WOLB: Dante Fowler Jr.
Mo LB: Cory Littleton
Mike LB: Micah Kiser
SOLB: Samson Ebukam
RCB: Aqib Talib
LCB: Marcus Peters
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: Eric Weddle
SS: John Johnson

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

I love the trades. I'm still unsure how the TE you have rated so high, but if he has that type of potential, I like it. I'd like to see a RB drafted somewhere and also a developmental WR/Return man late in the draft. I'd be happy with this. B+

Polite is a big gamble, but a lot less so if he gets taken at that point in the draft, so I can't be upset with that.  He has some major upside.  Really like the Rapp pick, he's a stud 4.7  or not.  Starting to warm up to Warring, he's definitely talented and under utilized, but then again, so is Everett.  Like the OLine depth and my both Cam Smith. All around, I'd be pretty excited about this draft.  My only concern would be no CB's, and we might be losing our top 2 next season.

On 4/15/2019 at 1:42 PM, BStanRamFan said:

I love the trades. I'm still unsure how the TE you have rated so high, but if he has that type of potential, I like it. I'd like to see a RB drafted somewhere and also a developmental WR/Return man late in the draft. I'd be happy with this. B+

Sorry, meant to respond sooner. I'm happy to show why I think so highly of Warring. As a brief prelude, the way I "scout" is by looking for special traits (except for the HB position). My personal philosophy is that you need winning traits to be a quality NFL player. You can polish up deficiencies, but there's not much you can do for a guy who just doesn't have the ability to win in some way. Obviously, almost anybody in the running for the first round will have special traits, but as you get further from the first round, you see less and less guys with those traits. Why do I like Warring? His movement skills and body control are special. When you combine that with his frame, overall athleticism, strength, blocking ability, and hands, I think you have a highly effective player with a little development. I know how important the TE position is to McVay. Having a guy who can block inline and be a major mismatch as a receiving target would take this offense to the next level.

Anyways, without further ado, here are a few plays that demonstrate what I see in Warring:

giphy.gif

Just look at the cut. He absolutely embarrasses his defender.

giphy.gif

You see the speed, body control, and hands here. Outruns the defender on the wheel, goes up and snags it in traffic, and then finds the endzone.

giphy.gif

This is a beautiful block on the second level. He seals off the LB and gives the HB a huge lane.

giphy.gif

Here's another beautiful block on the second level. He decimates the LB and seals off the running lane.

giphy.gif

Watch him at the bottom of the screen. He seals off and sustains a block against a 3-4 DE.

giphy.gif

You see a bit of everything here. Explosive break, physicality at the break point, and then quickness and acceleration to create yardage after the catch.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

While Warring doesn't make the catch inbounds, he goes up over Boise State's #1 CB to snag that ball. The mistake he made was not leveraging his stem harder to the inside hip and then fading later in the route to give himself and his QB more space for the throw. That will be taught in the NFL

Simply put, this kid has the sort of ability to be a TE who can put up 80 catches, 1000 yards, and 10 TDs while also providing quality inline blocking. He has a rare skill-set. I think he's worth developing. Higbee is a FA after 2019. That gives Warring a year before he's thrust into a big role.

@jrry32 Thank you for the breakdown. Very thorough and well thought out. I can see why you like him and the upside. He would be a good replacement for Higbee. My only critique would be that Kupp is the man that would line up in the slot and dominate the middle of the field as he has a la Jordan Reed. I'm not sure the impact he would have on Kupp's targets. But after this scouting report, you've sold me on him. 

10 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

@jrry32 Thank you for the breakdown. Very thorough and well thought out. I can see why you like him and the upside. He would be a good replacement for Higbee. My only critique would be that Kupp is the man that would line up in the slot and dominate the middle of the field as he has a la Jordan Reed. I'm not sure the impact he would have on Kupp's targets. But after this scouting report, you've sold me on him. 

Having another force in the middle of the field certainly isn't going to hurt Super Cooper, Goff, or the offense as a whole. ;)

Archived