Browns Trade back into the 1st(Theories)

Tomahawk

What(OR rather whom) do you see the Browns willing to trade back into the first to try and get?  My guess would be if a solid corner fell.  I don't think they do that for a LB or Safety.

What do they give up?  I think it would be this years 2nd, probably next years 2nd.  Thoughts?

If we end up packaging Duke in the trade, I could see KC, Indy, or Seattle being the trade targets.  

29 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

What do they give up?  I think it would be this years 2nd, probably next years 2nd.  Thoughts?

I think that what they give up depends on what part of Round 1 they trade back into. If it's from like Pick 47 to Pick 30, you're probably looking at our 2 and 3 this year.

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

That would give us 595 for 620, so we'd probably still have to pony up our 5th (29 points) and get back a 6th or 7th.

If we trade up into the early 20's, we're definitely looking at 2020 1st.

6 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I’m fine at 49 this year maybe a little higher but this really is a deeper draft than most people realize 

I am as well.  However Dorsey may want that 5th year option, and a stellar player if one falls that fits his ideal.  

7 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

I am as well.  However Dorsey may want that 5th year option, and a stellar player if one falls that fits his ideal.  

The only player I’d want the fifth year option for is Simmons because he’s going to miss a year most likely. 

Any other player I can accept not having a 5th year if it means more picks for Dorsey

12 minutes ago, brownie man said:

The only player I’d want the fifth year option for is Simmons because he’s going to miss a year most likely. 

Any other player I can accept not having a 5th year if it means more picks for Dorsey

The problem with that theory is the salary cap.  We are going to be coming up on new contracts for Dorsey's first draft next year, and Baker the year after that.  They will want players on team friendly rookie deals for as long as possible.  

We do not have 10 slots to fill on this roster this year.  We have 5-6 at best.  Unless we somehow find significant diamonds\upgrades in the 4th-7th rounds, or UDFAs.  

We are no longer the team that needs a plethora of draft picks, and if Dorsey does the job right, we will be next to the Hoody picking up compensatory picks after next year, every year.  

3 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

The problem with that theory is the salary cap.  We are going to be coming up on new contracts for Dorsey's first draft next year, and Baker the year after that.  They will want players on team friendly rookie deals for as long as possible.  

We do not have 10 slots to fill on this roster this year.  We have 5-6 at best.  Unless we somehow find significant diamonds\upgrades in the 4th-7th rounds, or UDFAs.  

We are no longer the team that needs a plethora of draft picks, and if Dorsey does the job right, we will be next to the Hoody picking up compensatory picks after next year, every year.  

Yeah maybe I should’ve been more clear 

I’m specifically talking about first round picks. I’m not trying to trade a first this year to move up unless it is somehow for Devin White.  

I’m also not trying to have a Ray Farmer draft with no balance. You need later picks to be successful as well. From a cap, mentality, and buy in perspective. 

43 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I’m fine at 49 this year maybe a little higher but this really is a deeper draft than most people realize 

I honestly believe Dorsey will trade up however.  The way he talks about Jeffery Simmons, I wouldn't be surprised if its for him.

top 10 talent available at the end of the first....

14 minutes ago, cattleman78 said:

I'd trade up in the 2nd round not the first.

This is prolly where I’m at.

I’d throw a day 3 pick to at a team to move up a few spots for a player I like, but I’m not dipping into next year’s picks, especially the ones on day 1 and 2.

I'd rather not move up at all, but if we do, I'd rather move up for a healthy player like Ferrell (I must like him more than most) or Wilkins since they'll actually contribute a full 5 years. That's just me though. If Simmons is there in the 2nd, I'd be down, but a true RS year in Round 1 is steep.

5 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

I really don't see us moving up into the first for Simmons.  We may move up in the 2nd if he falls that far.  But giving up that much draft capitol for a player who won't play the first year seems unlikely.  

Yeah the 5th year option is really only huge for QB’s.

It’s something like the average of the top 10 salaries at the position, so it’s not cheap.

Archived