Browns Trade back into the 1st(Theories)

Tomahawk

15 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

The thought process sounds right, but there is no way that any position's 5th year option is $1.5 mil.  That number is way off.  Here is a list of 5th year options in 2019 (obviously expect the total numbers to go up at least around 25% or so by the time 2023 comes around).  Note that none are under $7mil except RB & S (and that S number will be at least 9 mil by the time 2023 comes around, especially with this year's signings).

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/04/2019-fifth-year-option-tracker

Yeah I don’t know where he was getting his info taking about how cheap it would be. It’s weird now. Maybe I totally misheard him as I was driving  

“For top-10 picks, the amount of each player’s 2019 option has already been determined. The fifth-year salary for a top-10 pick is equal to the transition tender at the player’s position during his fourth season. So, because the transition tag for quarterbacks this year was $20.922MM, we already know that Mariota’s fifth-year option will be worth that amount.

For first-rounders picked outside the top 10, the calculation is a little more complicated. These players’ fifth-year option also relies on the previous year’s salaries at the player’s position, but it’s determined by the average of the third through 25th top salaries at that position. So we could come up with estimates for the 2019 option salary for players like Melvin GordonByron Jones, and Trae Waynes, but they’re not set in stone quite yet.”

So picking in the bottom of the first you get a lower 4years but if they are legit you save money that 5th year. Randall should out perform his $9m, hopefully. 

Still smarter to get that 5th option IMO. It at least gives you a year to prepare for the players cap hits instead of negotiating a contract.

just sucks with all these QBs getting paid now Iike the extension Wilson just sign. Baker might and prolly will deserves to set the QB contract record

12 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'd rather two solid 2nd rounders than 1 good 1st rounder. 

Depending how good that first rounder is and how much that pick effects your team. 

Sony Michel was big for the Pats

Derek Barnett made big plays for the Eagles

sometimes that premium rookie is what you need to take you over the hump. 

13 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'd rather two solid 2nd rounders than 1 good 1st rounder. 

It all depends. By two solid 2nd rd players, you mean depth guys or 1 good 1st rounder a starter. 

Is it a better investment getting a guy who could play 100% of the snaps or two guys who will see 50% of the snaps each. 

I don't know why everyone thinks TE is going to be something we look at early on.   Could we use an upgrade?  Absolutely.  But Dorsey has his guy from KC now,  and we have our starter.

We aren't using our first pick on a TE.  It will be LB, DT, CB, S, or OT.  

8 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

I don't know why everyone thinks TE is going to be something we look at early on.   Could we use an upgrade?  Absolutely. 

I chuckled a little bit at this self answering/fulfilling prophecy.

However, more to your question, I personally don't think that we will do that so much as would like it if we did. I like Fant and Smith if Hockenson is gone personally. I think that Fant is potentially more polished/well rounded already (blocking, short routes, finding holes in the zone), albeit that his ability may cap out a LOT sooner than Hockenson's from a pure talent and all around perspective down the road.

8 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

But Dorsey has his guy from KC now,  and we have our starter.

We aren't using our first pick on a TE.  It will be LB, DT, CB, S, or OT.  

I'd still throw EDGE into the mix as well as a possibility in the 2nd.

56 minutes ago, buno67 said:

It all depends. By two solid 2nd rd players, you mean depth guys or 1 good 1st rounder a starter. 

Is it a better investment getting a guy who could play 100% of the snaps or two guys who will see 50% of the snaps each. 

Depends on the positions. If we got a defensive back and an edge rusher that could play 50% of the snaps well I'd be all over it. 

• Otaro Alaka, OLB, Texas A&M (SR)
  • Lanard Bonner, G, Arkansas State (EW)
  • John Cominsky, DE, University of Charleston (LOC)
  • Davion Davis, WR, Sam Houston State (WOR)
  • Stephen Denmark, CB, Valdosta State (PRI)
  • Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State (COM)
  • Jon Duhart, WR, Old Dominion (EW)
  • Jamie Gillan, P, Arkansas-Pine Bluff (WOR)
  • Marcus Green, WR, Louisiana-Monroe (PRI)
  • Ethan Greenidge, OT, Villanova (EW)
  • Saquan Hampton, S, Rutgers (EW)
  • Penny Hart, WR, Georgia State (PRI)
  • Kiy Hester, S, Rutgers (PRO)
  • Trysten Hill, DT/NT, Central Florida (PRI)
  • Ka'dar Hollman, CB, Toledo (LOC)
  • Dre'Mont Jones^, DT, Ohio State (PRI, LOC)
  • Joe Lowery, OT, Ohio (WOR)
  • Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio State (SR)
  • D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss (COM)
  • Devine Ozigbo, RB, Nebraska (PRI)
  • Derick Roberson, DE, Sam Houston State (EW)
  • Jeffery Simmons^, DT/3-4DE, Mississippi State (PRO, PRI)
  • Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois (SR)
  • Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida (COM)
  • Juan Thornhill, S, Virginia (PRI)
  • Brian Wallace, OT, Arkansas (EW)
  • Evan Worthington, S, Colorado (EW)

Not a single TE on our predraft visits........ Granted this doesn't mean we won't take one, I just think it adds credence to the fact that we are likely using that first pick on defense or OT.

39 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Depends on the positions. If we got a defensive back and an edge rusher that could play 50% of the snaps well I'd be all over it. 

Would you rather have a SS that plays 100% of the snaps or a LB that plays 100% of the snaps  and both would be a good player or a DE that only play 50% of the snaps and a DB that plays 50% of the snaps, with both, they are just avg players. 

Im taking the good player because they are prolly gonna make a bigger impact or make the key plays

1 minute ago, Tomahawk said:

Not a single TE on our predraft visits........ Granted this doesn't mean we won't take one, I just think it adds credence to the fact that we are likely using that first pick on defense or OT.

Well in the list there are only 2 tackles worthy of being 1st Rd talents. And the rest looks like they are day 3s. I don’t think that list shows that the browns are going to take an OT with the 1st pick. 

12 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Well in the list there are only 2 tackles worthy of being 1st Rd talents. And the rest looks like they are day 3s. I don’t think that list shows that the browns are going to take an OT with the 1st pick. 

The Browns reportedly stated they didn't have 15 players with 1st round grades.   That doesn't mean they won't trade up for someone they value.  If an OT(Or any player) falls farther than their draft grades I expect they will move up and take them.  

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Would you rather have a SS that plays 100% of the snaps or a LB that plays 100% of the snaps  and both would be a good player or a DE that only play 50% of the snaps and a DB that plays 50% of the snaps, with both, they are just avg players. 

Im taking the good player because they are prolly gonna make a bigger impact or make the key plays

Fans tend to overrate stars and underrate depth. 

We need to be 5 deep at corner, it's no good having 1 star an 4 scrubs.

Archived