Offseason workouts underway (OTA's page 6)

RaidersAreOne

21 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Ok valid points. I still don't agree with people all of a sudden saying Mack didn't make a impact or didn't help us win games, the few games we did win Mack was a huge part of us winning them and made the garbage we had a little less garbage, like when he beat a triple team for a game ending sack when they were driving for the win. I mean why need pass rushers at all if they don't help you win games. One man can't do it all, but without that one man that 6-10 season is a 3-13, 2-14 season. we needed LB, CB, and DL basically and entire defense to help out. With that being said trading him and trying to rebuild this defense is the right move.

Well I completely agree with Mack's importance to us going 12-4 in 2016 or the Bears going 12-4 last year.  I think you could easily shave a couple of wins off of both without him. While both seasons are similar to a degree, Mack was really all we had on defense.  While with the Bears he elevated their defense to elite. 

Our 2016 team went 12-4 because of the offense.  You take away Mack and they still compete for a playoff spot.  You take away Carr and well we saw what happened against the Broncos and Texans.  You just can't compare the two.

11 minutes ago, true2form said:

Well I completely agree with Mack's importance to us going 12-4 in 2016 or the Bears going 12-4 last year.  I think you could easily shave a couple of wins off of both without him. While both seasons are similar to a degree, Mack was really all we had on defense.  While with the Bears he elevated their defense to elite. 

Our 2016 team went 12-4 because of the offense.  You take away Mack and they still compete for a playoff spot.  You take away Carr and well we saw what happened against the Broncos and Texans.  You just can't compare the two.

I don't agree with the bolded.  We had a ton of turnovers on defense that year.  Our turnover ratio was number one in the NFL, not just because of the offense, but because the defense was coming up with FRs and INTs every single game.  His freaking pick six against the Panthers was clutch.  I don't think we would've been competing for a playoff spot without him that year at all.

Side note:  I just noticed K. Mack only had 47 tackles and 12.5 sacks last season.  I know he missed some games, but compared to the seasons he had with us, it was actually a down year.  It's crazy how hyped up he is now with the Bears around the whole NFL.  When he was with the Raiders, he didn't really get any recognition.  Plenty of fans thought V. Miller was head and shoulders above Mack.  Now they talk about Mack like he's an actual bear in pads.

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

I don't agree with the bolded.  We had a ton of turnovers on defense that year.  Our turnover ratio was number one in the NFL, not just because of the offense, but because the defense was coming up with FRs and INTs every single game.  His freaking pick six against the Panthers was clutch.  I don't think we would've been competing for a playoff spot without him that year at all.

Side note:  I just noticed K. Mack only had 47 tackles and 12.5 sacks last season.  I know he missed some games, but compared to the seasons he had with us, it was actually a down year.  It's crazy how hyped up he is now with the Bears around the whole NFL.  When he was with the Raiders, he didn't really get any recognition.  Plenty of fans thought V. Miller was head and shoulders above Mack.  Now they talk about Mack like he's an actual bear in pads.

Chicago is a bigger and a higher profile market than Oakland. His arrival coincides with their defense being elite. 

5 hours ago, Jerry said:

He was a first-team All-Pro selected for two positions. Get the hell out of here with that he didn’t get any recognition when he was with the Raiders BS. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

He was a first-team All-Pro selected for two positions. Get the hell out of here with that he didn’t get any recognition when he was with the Raiders BS. 

Maybe by the league and players, I'm talking about fans that don't really watch the AFC West and Broncos fans.  At least that's how it looked to me. And you get the hell out of here with your BS. FOH forum regulator.

On 6/6/2019 at 3:47 PM, drfrey13 said:

Great news and having Joseph working with him on the first unit is also great news.  No more Nelson and Gilchrist or Nelson and anybody.  HE is another safety I would have waited to take but if he can start day 1 and play well that justifies going in the first for me.

I'm not a big fan of 1st round Safeties unless they are outstanding. James was one I'd been willing to take. I liked Thornhill in this class the most. Glad Abram is starting. 1st rounders should always start or it's not much of a need. QB is the only exception as sometimes grooming is necessary but I'd still rather see my 1sts in the lineup on Sundays.

EDIT: Our DB depth is excellent. 12 players that are either rookie first 4 rounds or had starts last season.

S Abram, CB's Mullen, Johnson

S Joseph, Harris, Riley, Richards, Joyner

CB Conley, Worley, Lawson, Nelson

Cut's will be interseting.

PS Mack got held alot with us and probably in C town too. Sacks, FF, pressure, flags, attention, he effects the game. Maybe Key's pressures would have been sacks had Mack played on his 5th year with us...

Edited by G

Start of minicamp today. Just get it over with no injuries. 

Really intrigued with Maxx. Seems to be using his length to his advantage in OTAs. That will allow him to provide some pass rush help while his body continues to grow into what the Raiders want.