Offseason workouts underway (OTA's page 6)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Lame reply. I've always been a Carr supporter and I'd expect him to complete that pass with no pads or pass rush. I'm not going to get giddy about it, like fan boys are,  until he makes that same throw during the season.

Your reply was to guy saying cant wait for season. Not like he said here comes the super bowl! Its ok to be excited about having a new wr thats top 5. 

Let your fan out a bit. Sheesh

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Your reply was to guy saying cant wait for season. Not like he said here comes the super bowl! Its ok to be excited about having a new wr thats top 5. 

Let your fan out a bit. Sheesh

He has been disappointed too many times to be optimistic about it 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

No site that I know off well give you that kind of detailed stat. PFF gets close if you buy the premium but still isn't what you're looking for.

You have to just watch every throw he made last year. I'm more than half way through and charting the results.

I can say one thing though. This sentence,  especially the usually part, is a characterization.

but on the routes where the WR is hugging the sideline Carr usually gets to catious and floats it out of bounds where his WR has an extremely small chance if any to make the catch.

Usually was a bad word since it implies more often than not but I saw it a lot.  Was it because his throws were rushed or is he just inaccurate?  Could not tell you for sure.  I expect a pro QB to be able to make that throw more often than he did so I give him the benefit of the doubt and just say catious.  It happens to all QBs but the discussion has been brought up before that Carr does it more than most would want around here.  Unless you are just throwing it away a pro QB needs to be accurate enough to give his WR a much greater chance of catching the ball than the DB.  If both have zero chance of catching the ball then he did not do his job.  It is risk vs reward and I think Carr is a little to risk adverse.  Whether that is from previous coaching, his brother, or something different it does not matter.  You get past it or we need to move on.  That is why this is a make or break year for me with him.  Very few excuses and most of our success will come down to him performing when it is needed.  It was not the stats in 2016 that impressed me for Carr.  It was that his presence grew when the moments arrived.  2017 and 2018 he went into a shell in big moments far to often.

9 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

but on the routes where the WR is hugging the sideline Carr usually gets to catious and floats it out of bounds where his WR has an extremely small chance if any to make the catch.

Usually was a bad word since it implies more often than not but I saw it a lot.  Was it because his throws were rushed or is he just inaccurate?  Could not tell you for sure.  I expect a pro QB to be able to make that throw more often than he did so I give him the benefit of the doubt and just say catious.  It happens to all QBs but the discussion has been brought up before that Carr does it more than most would want around here.  Unless you are just throwing it away a pro QB needs to be accurate enough to give his WR a much greater chance of catching the ball than the DB.  If both have zero chance of catching the ball then he did not do his job.  It is risk vs reward and I think Carr is a little to risk adverse.  Whether that is from previous coaching, his brother, or something different it does not matter.  You get past it or we need to move on.  That is why this is a make or break year for me with him.  Very few excuses and most of our success will come down to him performing when it is needed.  It was not the stats in 2016 that impressed me for Carr.  It was that his presence grew when the moments arrived.  2017 and 2018 he went into a shell in big moments far to often.

I can find fault with so much you said but I'll just wait til my watch thru of the seasons throws is over to get to the it point for point. Sufficient my actual film study doesn't bear many of the things you refer to out, at least in the degree that you imply.

14 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I can find fault with so much you said but I'll just wait til my watch thru of the seasons throws is over to get to the it point for point. Sufficient my actual film study doesn't bear many of the things you refer to out, at least in the degree that you imply.

It's a losing battle, my dude. People see what they want. I've generally taken to letting the chips fall how they will and keeping my nose out of it. If there's something that incenses me on here, its QB debates. The Pryor days were hell.

• Like 2

Carr is currently an average to slightly above average QB. He can go either way. 

The good news is, we've seen him look like a true franchise QB back in 2016. We know what he's capable of in the right system with the right protection. So you can bet on the upside.

He looks to be in great shape. Look more muscled up than I can remember seeing him. Or is that just me? 

Also.... average QB play in the NFL is better than the alternative. You can win with average. I think a lot of fans forget how miserable the position was before Carr. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Carr is currently an average to slightly above average QB. He can go either way. 

The good news is, we've seen him look like a true franchise QB back in 2016. We know what he's capable of in the right system with the right protection. So you can bet on the upside.

He looks to be in great shape. Look more muscled up than I can remember seeing him. Or is that just me? 

Also.... average QB play in the NFL is better than the alternative. You can win with average. I think a lot of fans forget how miserable the position was before Carr. 

Yup. This.
Unless we are trading for a proven QB who is better than Carr, to suggest replacing him will be easy is such a silly mistake. 

We have been in QB hell for 15 years... we finally get a QB who shows promise and we want to run him out of town 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Nah man, I'd be completely fine with bringing back Andrew Walter.

Since 2003:

2003 Rick Mirer (8) / Rich Gannon (7) / Marques Tuiasosopo (1)
2004 Kerry Collins (13) / Rich Gannon (3)
2005 Kerry Collins (15) / Marques Tuiasosopo (1)
2006 Andrew Walter (8) / Aaron Brooks (8)
2007 Josh McCown (9) / Daunte Culpepper (6) / JaMarcus Russell (1)
2008 JaMarcus Russell (15) / Andrew Walter (1)
2009 JaMarcus Russell (9) / Bruce Gradkowski (4) / Charlie Frye (3)
2010 Jason Campbell (12) / Bruce Gradkowski (4)
2011 Carson Palmer (9) / Jason Campbell (6) / Kyle Boller (1)
2012 Carson Palmer (15) / Terrelle Pryor (1)
2013 Terrelle Pryor (9) / Matt McGloin (6) / Matt Flynn (1)

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

giphy.gif

People complain about.. then he gets hurt and backup comes in and people instantly regret complaining.

I remember we had big league vs panthers and carr gets hurt. He goes out and our 21 point league disappears within like 6 min.

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

If the OL improves he should have a pretty good season. Jacobs/AB/TW were all huge pickups and should make his job a lot easier next season.

11 hours ago, roi34 said:

People complain about.. then he gets hurt and backup comes in and people instantly regret complaining.

I remember we had big league vs panthers and carr gets hurt. He goes out and our 21 point league disappears within like 6 min.

I do not think anyone is asking for his backup to start but sometimes the backup is a gamer and comes in and brings the team back.  I do not think we have any backups that will do that and one of the main reasons why a backup does not play as well as the starter is because they are viewed as having less ability, why they are backups, and the do not get the first team reps during the week.  From what I have noticed when you bring in your second string QB it is best to have some familiar targets so 2nd string receivers normally play a lot better.  The overall point is if we can not win with him we need to look in a new direction.  Same logic that was used with Mack only this time I hope they think thru how they will replace him before they get rid of him if that is the direction they go in.  They way we got rid of Mack would be like cutting Carr right before the season and going with Peterman week 1 starter.