I want 2 edge rushers in this draft

James Lofton

I'd love to draft 2 edges, teams only have so much real (top 4-5 round) draft capital though. Realistically, with the FA signings, 1 in the top 4 rounds is probably most realistic. In a league where guys play on average 3 years (core players 5-10), you always have a holes, especially looking 1-2 years out. Looking at our roster, the only position we really can't justify using a top 4 round pick on is QB;

QB-fine, I don't see us using more than a lotto pick 6/7throunder (probably not using a pick at all this year)

RB- Could improve (really should use a 3rd-5th if we want to be more balanced)

WR- People will argue on this, but  there are a lot arguments though we need more talent there. If the right guy is there.

TE- we need 1 in the top 4 rounds. Grahm is gone in a year and we don't really have anyone else (1 year deals and UDFA projections)

OL- our youngest starter is on year 5 in the NFL. If we aren't careful **** could hit the fan quick. We should put a top 4 round pick in (you could argue 30 for a Bulaga replacement)

DL- We are probably fine. There is the argument that you can always use more talent up front (Daniels leaving soon, Preston could play more DE than we think). We could use 30/44(cough Simmons) or like a third (cough Nelson), or not use a pick here

Edge-Kind of the same with DL. We could use a top 4 round pick. After FA, do we need to....probably not. Should we... probably.

ILB- kind of a luxory. Could we use a pick, yes if the right guy is there. Should we, debatable. Most people don't love this class after the Devins. My view is White at 12 is in play, otherwise a 4/5 rounder is in play to compete with Burks, take the Morrison thumper role should be in play.

CB- Not a lot of people are talking about this, but after losing Breeland and with King's health, we should use a top 4 round pick at corner. You need 5-7 corners who can play and we might have 4-5 depending on how we use Tramon this year

S-We need to use a top 100 pick at S, either as a starter (top 2 round) or as a player to learn under Tramon for a season.

4 hours ago, blankman0021 said:

Like a lot of those guys.

Polite is off my board. Any player who admits they don't care about studying tape isn't going to make it in the NFL. 

IIRC he said he never studied tape "on himself". He's not a safety or cb. Probably not too common in colllege, but doesn't see a thing at his school. He dropped twenty to thirty pounds last year for his coaches. Anyways, just found this article. Either the scouts are giving him a really hard time or (more likely) someone is trying to get him to fall. I have no problem with the bad work out, just a question of how they feel about meds and that hammy. The link in the beginning of this article is good too. I see what this guy sees.  Like Polite's interviews better than others. Of course, the GB scouts iwll do their own work.

https://saturdayblitz.com/2019/03/08/florida-football-jachai-polite-off-field-rumors/

23 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

I want no more than 1 draft pick spent on an EDGE, except for maybe a flier in the 7th, and none at all if we do not adequately address S, OL, DL/ILB as a result of taking one.

And because I am me, my preferences supersede yours.

How 'bout THAT, OP??

Agree with everything said here, but the superseding stuff.  :D  Signing two edge players and then drafting two more is a luxury they don't have with the lack of talent that needs to be filled in other areas.

On 4/15/2019 at 4:17 PM, Gopher Trace said:

I want no more than 1 draft pick spent on an EDGE, except for maybe a flier in the 7th........

Didnt we already do that last year with Donnerson? Hasnt exactly paid off has it?

1 hour ago, jleisher said:

Agree with everything said here, but the superseding stuff.  :D  Signing two edge players and then drafting two more is a luxury they don't have with the lack of talent that needs to be filled in other areas.

disagree fix or defense and our offense doesn't need to be elite we have a HOF qb give him a bit of a line and some ok weapons and he can score some points. Make our D top 5 and we're in every game. If AR played for the BEARs how would they have done last year?

Edge, IDL either or add a couple pass rushers that's for sure.

1 hour ago, PACKRULE said:

disagree fix or defense and our offense doesn't need to be elite we have a HOF qb give him a bit of a line and some ok weapons and he can score some points. Make our D top 5 and we're in every game. If AR played for the BEARs how would they have done last year?

Edge, IDL either or add a couple pass rushers that's for sure.

Not good, he was hurt.  I can see one each DL, ILB and Edge, but not two.  Example, Wilson ILB, Z. Allen DL, Crosby Edge, rds 2, 3 and 4.  We can agree to disagree on two edge picks.

2 hours ago, jleisher said:

Not good, he was hurt.  I can see one each DL, ILB and Edge, but not two.  Example, Wilson ILB, Z. Allen DL, Crosby Edge, rds 2, 3 and 4.  We can agree to disagree on two edge picks.

The reason I’d be ok with 2 Edge is that this is such a good class for them. That said I’d live an edge and DL with 2 of the first 3 picks to go with a FS. 

Free agency got us a nice Player along with Madison for either IOL or backup RT. Also got a nice SS. Last years WR should all improve giving us some nice options there. MLF like well rounded TE’s which we can find from 3-5 round. Think we’ll do fine with drafting DL and EDGE.

This plus Daniels and Lowery are up for contracts next year plus we should extend Clark. 

I would love to get one of the elite EDGE at 12, then we can get 2 very good safeties the next 2 picks, then we are in the part of the draft to pick up 4 good offensive linemen with the next 4 picks and the last 4 BPA. That would be the way I would love to see this draft go.

6 hours ago, Leader said:

Didnt we already do that last year with Donnerson? Hasnt exactly paid off has it?

Did anyone expect Donnerson to contribute in any manner before late 2nd year or year 3?

I would like to add an edge IF we can get a premier talent to add.  Otherwise, I am not that concerned with the position for this season.  We added two FAs, and we return Fackrell and Gilbert, who both played significant snaps last season, and can fill 3rd and 4th on the depth chart this season, Donnerson remains the project athlete.  I want either a stud pass rusher drafted, or none at all.  This team still needs defensive backs.  If we double-up on a position, it should be safety and/or offensive line.

7 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Did anyone expect Donnerson to contribute in any manner before late 2nd year or year 3?

I would like to add an edge IF we can get a premier talent to add.  Otherwise, I am not that concerned with the position for this season.  We added two FAs, and we return Fackrell and Gilbert, who both played significant snaps last season, and can fill 3rd and 4th on the depth chart this season, Donnerson remains the project athlete.  I want either a stud pass rusher drafted, or none at all.  This team still needs defensive backs.  If we double-up on a position, it should be safety and/or offensive line.

I generally agree with this.  I'd like to see 3 more DB's added.  As much as Pettine likes to blitz out of the slot, I'd love to see a CB/S hybrid like Amani Hooker, another corner that can play outside - at least someone to develop, and a pure FS. 

38 minutes ago, Cheech said:

I generally agree with this.  I'd like to see 3 more DB's added.  As much as Pettine likes to blitz out of the slot, I'd love to see a CB/S hybrid like Amani Hooker, another corner that can play outside - at least someone to develop, and a pure FS. 

Was watching some NFL Network program last night and they mentioned Juan Thornhill in that S/CB hybrid capacity. Would love to add the talent - after we take Adderley that is. LOL (I stick to my name recognition guys....).

Btw......Mr. Iowa TE Guy......if we were to select one of the Iowa guys.....which would you prefer?  

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Probably not. Which is why my preference has always been to add that home run hitting EDGE guy - who can produce this year + five going forward - as opposed to taking some "maybe we'll see you in down the line guy" in the later rounds.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Probably not. Which is why my preference has always been to add that home run hitting EDGE guy - who can produce this year + five going forward - as opposed to taking some "maybe we'll see you in down the line guy" in the later rounds.

I agree.  I am not opposed to projects like Donnerson.  But we have to give them time to develop or we are wasting picks.  Like I said before, it is going to take a real good EDGE to break into the rotation with Smith, Smith, and Fackrell.  

Archived