I want 2 edge rushers in this draft

James Lofton

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 2:25 AM, MantyWrestler said:

The reason I’d be ok with 2 Edge is that this is such a good class for them. That said I’d live an edge and DL with 2 of the first 3 picks to go with a FS. 

Free agency got us a nice Player along with Madison for either IOL or backup RT. Also got a nice SS. Last years WR should all improve giving us some nice options there. MLF like well rounded TE’s which we can find from 3-5 round. Think we’ll do fine with drafting DL and EDGE.

This plus Daniels and Lowery are up for contracts next year plus we should extend Clark. 

I think you are really playing with fire if you go with yet another heavy defence draft.

The Offense has been regressing and could be in serious danger off truly falling off a cliff and being bad. The Tight Ends are ancient,  whilst we have bodies on the OLine, the general quality of them has been regressing for some time now. LG, RG are much weaker than what they were and relying on Bulaga to hold out the season is naïve. I'm actually pretty happy with the running backs and would be happy taking a shot late. The receivers look good but are still projects.

Really the offense is holding onto the hope Rodgers will be elite again but he isn't what he was and is fragile. Not a good combination if you have an average line, projects at receiver and old tight ends. 

Unless Spriggs is deemed to be the answer, Bulaga's replacement must be prioritised in this draft and probably be one of the first three picks. Ideally I would want to come out of the draft with one of the 2 top tight ends and (hopefully) Bulaga's replacement early. We also need to get back to drafting Linemen in the middle rounds like we used to which gave us the conveyor belt of players like Sitton, Lang, Tretter, Bakh, Linsley so we have a strong line to protect Rodgers without spending a fortune. 

We've spent a lot in free agency on defence and virtually all of our best picks there. We should be able to do something with them instead of continuing to throw everything on one side of the ball.

5 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

I think you are really playing with fire if you go with yet another heavy defence draft.

The Offense has been regressing and could be in serious danger off truly falling off a cliff and being bad. The Tight Ends are ancient,  whilst we have bodies on the OLine, the general quality of them has been regressing for some time now. LG, RG are much weaker than what they were and relying on Bulaga to hold out the season is naïve. I'm actually pretty happy with the running backs and would be happy taking a shot late. The receivers look good but are still projects.

Really the offense is holding onto the hope Rodgers will be elite again but he isn't what he was and is fragile. Not a good combination if you have an average line, projects at receiver and old tight ends. 

Unless Spriggs is deemed to be the answer, Bulaga's replacement must be prioritised in this draft and probably be one of the first three picks. Ideally I would want to come out of the draft with one of the 2 top tight ends and (hopefully) Bulaga's replacement early. We also need to get back to drafting Linemen in the middle rounds like we used to which gave us the conveyor belt of players like Sitton, Lang, Tretter, Bakh, Linsley so we have a strong line to protect Rodgers without spending a fortune. 

We've spent a lot in free agency on defence and virtually all of our best picks there. We should be able to do something with them instead of continuing to throw everything on one side of the ball.

Your trashing the OL yet we rushed for 5.0 per carry last year. That’s not a bad OL. Rogers hands on the the ball longer than average at QB while looking down field when the dump off is open. MM’s offense depended on Rogers throwing darts and WR’s beating their man down after down.

IMO...

1) if MLF can get Rogers takes the check down.

2) Our Young WR’s improve, which they surely should. 

3) One of Madison, Turner or a draft pick can be better than what we had. 

4) Bulaga can stay healthy 

We’re in good shape. None of those things are crazy. 

I do feel we need another TE or 2 plus another OL or 2 but historically we can find those guys round 3-6. Think we’re good but I hear what your saying. 

On 4/17/2019 at 7:44 AM, Leader said:

Was watching some NFL Network program last night and they mentioned Juan Thornhill in that S/CB hybrid capacity. Would love to add the talent - after we take Adderley that is. LOL (I stick to my name recognition guys....).

Btw......Mr. Iowa TE Guy......if we were to select one of the Iowa guys.....which would you prefer?  

Hock at 12, Fant at 30 is probably a pipe dream.  I want one of them, but this is why I love me some Hock.

There is about 5 more of these in the thread.  Hock would bolster our running game and passing game immediately.  He's the perfect fit for the new offense.

8 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Your trashing the OL yet we rushed for 5.0 per carry last year. That’s not a bad OL. Rogers hands on the the ball longer than average at QB while looking down field when the dump off is open. MM’s offense depended on Rogers throwing darts and WR’s beating their man down after down.

IMO...

1) if MLF can get Rogers takes the check down.

2) Our Young WR’s improve, which they surely should. 

3) One of Madison, Turner or a draft pick can be better than what we had. 

4) Bulaga can stay healthy 

We’re in good shape. None of those things are crazy. 

I do feel we need another TE or 2 plus another OL or 2 but historically we can find those guys round 3-6. Think we’re good but I hear what your saying. 

That's a lot of Ifs.

You have to be realistic, there is a good chance Bulaga gets injured and if he does then we have a problem because Rodgers clearly can't take hits any more or there is a good chance the season ends quickly. Unless we think Spriggs can be a good RT quickly then simply put a RT needs to be a much higher priority than any defensive player. If we can find one in round 4 then great but we need to find one somewhere and  you have a better chance in the first.

The receivers will probably improve but I think we have lost our identity. With all the resources spent on trying to sort  the defence, we have lost our all-powerful offence so we don't really have much. When we gave Rodgers weapons we had a good team. When we stopped doing then we didn't have a good team. 

17 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

That's a lot of Ifs.

You have to be realistic, there is a good chance Bulaga gets injured and if he does then we have a problem because Rodgers clearly can't take hits any more or there is a good chance the season ends quickly. Unless we think Spriggs can be a good RT quickly then simply put a RT needs to be a much higher priority than any defensive player. If we can find one in round 4 then great but we need to find one somewhere and  you have a better chance in the first.

The receivers will probably improve but I think we have lost our identity. With all the resources spent on trying to sort  the defence, we have lost our all-powerful offence so we don't really have much. When we gave Rodgers weapons we had a good team. When we stopped doing then we didn't have a good team. 

Many of us do. 

He was average to above average when he played last season. Personally, I think the move up to 315 helped, and I just want to see what he can do with another year under his belt. I think many on this board underestimate the possibility that Spriggs could be our starting RT for 2020 and beyond. 

Also, I'm going to say it again. I think Pankey can be at least an average RT in the NFL.

If the Packers don't draft a single OL this year I certainly wouldn't have a melt down. I definitely think they should draft an OT, but they could assemble an above average NFL line group with what they already have on the roster. 

Bakhtiari/Taylor/Linsley/Turner/Bulaga/Spriggs/Patrick 

Light and Pankey battle it out at OT. 

McRay, Siragusa, and Madison battle it out at OG. 

If the FO is comfortable, I'd definietly be comfortable with 9-10 guys from the 12 I listed. 

On 4/15/2019 at 4:17 PM, Gopher Trace said:

I want no more than 1 draft pick spent on an EDGE, except for maybe a flier in the 7th, and none at all if we do not adequately address S, OL, DL/ILB as a result of taking one.

And because I am me, my preferences supersede yours.

How 'bout THAT, OP??

How is Edge more set than the OL or really even DL?

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't know if we are stacked anywhere, but the doubling up at Edge doesn't seem necessary.  I would double up at TE and S.  The one really glaring hole to me is at FS.  

Is it really doubling up if one of the picks is a 6th rounder?

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

No. Not a lot of people here understand day 3.

The difference in expected value is almost nonexistent between 5th round picks through UDFAs. I'd almost constantly trade back from about pick #150 on to get as many picks as possible as late as possible. They're basically all just loterry scratch off tickets at that point. None is more valuable than the next so the more you have the better your odds of getting lucky are. I'm surprised noone tries this except for the fact that if I know this then everyone in the NFL obviously knows this so in theory it's a sound strategy but I'm sure it's pretty impossible to actually accomplish. 

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If you are a fan of the draft and follow it daily here (as many do) you get tired of day one projections eventually.

If you have done dozens of mocks on TheDraftNetwork or Drafttek you begin to have interest in the later picks. They aren't as sexy as the first two days, but there is value around, so I take notice if a late prospect  looks to have a certain something that might develop. Guys like Edge Maxx Crosby or Christian Miller,  receiver Penny Hart orJeff Smith,  RB Ozigbo or Holyfield, S Zedrick Woods this year, for example. The deeper tail-enders (6th and 7th) are taken either for development or as cheap ST guys (sometimes both). They are pretty much all projections of one sort or another and most will be gone fairly quickly (it's tough to have a long career in the NFL). But, there is always just a chance that a high RAS guy like Kendall Donnerson or Kofi Amichia might turn into something. The next Donald Driver, Mark Tauscher, Tramon Williams are there, just hard to find in a sea of mediocrity.

It's not so much that there is no real difference between round 5 and a rookie FA (as @wgbeethree asserts), it's just very difficult to separate them when the real difference is often between the ears.

32 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I understand it. I just dont know the players down there well enough to differentiate between them and make "this guy over that" value judgments.
Thats why all my MDs have been 3-4 round adventures :)

42 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

It's not so much that there is no real difference between round 5 and a rookie FA (as @wgbeethree asserts), it's just very difficult to separate them when the real difference is often between the ears.

cav_draft.png?w=601&h=466

This is what I'm referring to. Statistically the expected approximate value of a player pretty much flatlines around 150ish through 175ish until the end of the draft. Obviously aV is not perfect and there are extreme outliers and mostly for the reason you suggest but at that point you're pretty much getting lucky (If you actually think a guys going to be really good you're not waiting that long to get him, i.e. if the Patriots knew what they had with Brady or the Seahawks knew what they had in Sherman etc etc they would have taken them with their first pick not waited, that's luck not skill) and the more cracks at it you have the more likely you are to get lucky. IMO at that point you're basically throwing darts blindfolded and therefore it's best to have as many darts as possible.

8 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

cav_draft.png?w=601&h=466

This is what I'm referring to. Statistically the expected approximate value of a player pretty much flatlines around 150ish through 175ish until the end of the draft. Obviously aV is not perfect and there are extreme outliers and mostly for the reason you suggest but at that point you're pretty much getting lucky (If you actually think a guys going to be really good you're not waiting that long to get him, i.e. if the Patriots knew what they had with Brady or the Seahawks knew what they had in Sherman etc etc they would have taken them with their first pick not waited, that's luck not skill) and the more cracks at it you have the more likely you are to get lucky. IMO at that point you're basically throwing darts blindfolded and therefore it's best to have as many darts as possible.

I see Tom

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I understand it. I just dont know the players down there well enough to differentiate between them and make "this guy over that" value judgments.
Thats why all my MDs have been 3-4 round adventures :)

Like this....just do it already! I cant keep showing you the way LOL

12 - Brian Burns, EDGE
30 - Noah Fant, TE
44 - Nasir Adderley, S
75 - Kaleb McGary, OT
114 - Gary Jennings Jr., WR
118 - Bobby Okereke, LB

Notes: The idea of AR throwing to at WR named Jennings? Worth the price of admission by itself!  :)

Archived