• Juan Thornhill, S
    • Johnathan Abram, S
    • Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S
    • Gerald Willis, DT
    • Dawson Knox, TE
    • Isaiah Johnson, CB
    • Zach Allen, DE
    • Joejuan Williams, CB

It is well known that our first pick is always an official visitor.  With the help of @WizardHawk and @Nextyearfordaboyz, it has also been determined that every one of our recent 2nd round picks(going back to 2011) were official visits as well, with the exception of Jaylon Smith, and Gavin Escobar. Jaylon was a special case where our team doctor performed his surgery. Escobar was just a bust.

Like it, love it, or hate it, you can bet safe money that #58 will be an official visit. Of the visitors these 13 guys are projected in our range.

Which one do you want?

Edited by DaBoys

6 minutes ago, eagles suck said:

Because Jeffery Simmons is not on the Board I choose Rapp

Simmons would be an excellent addition at #58. I'd sprint to the podium.  Unfortunately this team absolutely hates DTs. They don't value them at all. Not even two RBs with over a hundred yards on us to end our season seems have changed that. 

With Simmons off field history you can safely assume they would want bring him in for a visit first if they had any inkling they would take him. 

With the lack of respect for the DT position, the lack of pre draft interest in Simmons specifically, and the history of exclusively selecting official visitors, you can go ahead and start being disappointed now.

If Simmons is still there at 58, Dallas will draft someone they brought in over him.

Edited by DaBoys

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Simmons would be an excellent addition at #58. I'd sprint to the podium.  Unfortunately this team absolutely hates DTs. They don't value them at all. Not even two RBs with over a hundred yards on us to end our season seems have changed that. 

Vita Vea, Taven Bryan, Da'Ron Payne, Malik McDowell, Sheldon Rankins, Kenny Clark, Carl Davis, Timmy Jernigan, Aaron Donald, Dominique Easely...

In just the past 5 drafts, we've brought in these round 1/2 DTs for official visits. I think this is a little bit in the "Cowboys will never draft an OL in the first round" territory.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Vita Vea, Taven Bryan, Da'Ron Payne, Malik McDowell, Sheldon Rankins, Kenny Clark, Carl Davis, Timmy Jernigan, Aaron Donald, Dominique Easely...

In just the past 5 drafts, we've brought in these round 1/2 DTs for official visits. I think this is a little bit in the "Cowboys will never draft an OL in the first round" territory.

But zero of them are Cowboys. In fact, several were still on the board at our pick and we didn't take them. As long as Rod Marinelli is running the dl, then DT is not a realistic first pick. 

It helps that our first pick is in the 2nd round. That may make it worth while, but looking at the visitors, not likely. 

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

But zero of them are Cowboys. In fact, several were still on the board at our pick and we didn't take them. As long as Rod Marinelli is running the dl, then DT is not a realistic first pick. 

It helps that our first pick is in the 2nd round. That may make it worth while, but looking at the visitors, not likely. 

In the years leading up to us picking Tyron, we had a lot of OL visitors that didn’t end up as picks, either. Sometimes the board just doesn’t fall a certain way, and you can end up reading things as trends, when they are actually just idiosyncrasies.

I don’t think this will be the year we pick a DT with our first pick. However, I really don’t think there is much evidence that we “absolutely hate DTs”, either. 

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

23 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

In the years leading up to us picking Tyron, we had a lot of OL visitors that didn’t end up as picks, either. Sometimes the board just doesn’t fall a certain way, and you can end up reading things as trends, when they are actually just idiosyncrasies.

I don’t think this will be the year we pick a DT with our first pick. However, I really don’t think there is much evidence that we “absolutely hat DTs”, either. 

Maybe not "DTs" in general, but there is absolutely evidence that the team will not draft or sign a 1T unless they have 3T skills(I believe SJ said that). And because they are that picky at DT, they rarely have the board fall that way.

And when it does(like Sharif Floyd) they make an excuse and look the other way.

Just Google "Rod Marinelli on nose tackles," and see what comes up. 

35 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Maybe not "DTs" in general, but there is absolutely evidence that the team will not draft or sign a 1T unless they have 3T skills(I believe SJ said that). And because they are that picky at DT, they rarely have the board fall that way.

And when it does(like Sharif Floyd) they make an excuse and look the other way.

Just Google "Rod Marinelli on nose tackles," and see what comes up. 

Give me some credit here. The conversation started with your response regarding Jeffrey Simmons, who is a clear 3T if we draft him. Same goes for Gerald Willis, Trysten Hill, and Zach Allen, none of whom are out of the question to go in the 2nd round and all of whom we have shown interest in.

We all know that we aren’t drafting a 1T, but not drafting a 3T early, in my opinion, is more a result of happenstance than deliberate aversion.

Regarding Sharif Floyd... That was a weird case. An epic organizational failure where the room hadn’t adequately investigated the player led to a draft day panic and getting fleeced in a trade. Tom Ciskowski was demoted over the debacle. I just don’t think you can count out early 3Ts in the future as a result of that.

• Like 1

If we take a player who didn’t visit, Joejuan Williams, Isaiah Johnson, and Zach Allen have gotten a ton of attention from Dallas. The CBs are especially interesting, since it’s almost like our top-30 list goes out of its way to not bring in a decent CB. I almost wonder if they are trying to hide a serious interest.

Other than those 3, WR seems like the position with the most potential to throw a wrench in these plans. Rankings are all over the board at the position. What if someone they expected to be long gone, like Hakeem Butler or Hollywood Brown, falls to them as a result? I wonder if the might pull the trigger in that scenario. 

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Give me some credit here. The conversation started with your response regarding Jeffrey Simmons, who is a clear 3T if we draft him.

Yeah, I got you. A sub 300 pound 3T is always in play, and Simmons fits the bill. 

I can be a bit hyperbolic about Rods views at DT, because I value the trenches so much(I drafted Andrew Billings over Zeke at 4 in TCMD :$)

...and because of how long this has been an issue(this is like year 7 or 8 in a row that we are talking about a run stopping DT)

...and how badly we were gashed on our season ending game(CJ effing Anderson)(a hobbled Gurley that was hurting no one else but us.)

Most teams would be falling over themselves to get a NT after that game, and after this decade long NT dry spell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

If we take a player who didn’t visit, Joejuan Williams, Isaiah Johnson, and Zach Allen have gotten a ton of attention from Dallas. The CBs are especially interesting, since it’s almost like our top-30 list goes out of its way to not bring in a decent CB. I almost wonder if they are trying to hide a serious interest.

Other than those 3, WR seems like the position with the most potential to throw a wrench in these plans. Rankings are all over the board at the position. What if someone they expected to be long gone, like Hakeem Butler or Hollywood Brown, falls to them as a result? I wonder if the might pull the trigger in that scenario. 

I just don't see WR happening. With Gallup, Cobb, and not having a first because of the Amari trade... it isn't a smart bet if they haven't visited. I'll add Williams and Allen though.

Edited by DaBoys

I voted Abram. He is the biggest hitter. Only weighed in at 205 at the combine but was said to play at 215? He may have cut down to secure that impressive 4.45 he posted at the laser timed event.

He is KRs next Kam Chancellor.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D82 said:

I'm really torn between Thornhill and Abram at this point. I voted Thornhill, but I'd be just as happy with Abram. 

I am equally torn between Rapp and Abram, but Thornhill is very close right behind them.  I just hope one of the three is left.  AT this point I am starting to think that of the top 5 or 6 safeties only Thompson will be left and I think he is probably my least favorite of the bunch.