• Johnathan Abram, S
    • Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S
    • Gerald Willis, DT
    • Dawson Knox, TE
    • Isaiah Johnson, CB
    • Zach Allen, DE
    • Joejuan Williams, CB

9 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I still believe - against all logic - that a prominent DL player will fall well past expectations and he will be our pick.

I wouldn’t be surprised by this, but it’s hard for me to envision which player will fall. Tillery, Lawrence, and Simmons all look like locks to be gone by #58 at this point. Crazy things happen, just hard to predict who might fall at this point. I also don’t know that you can completely rule out Willis or Hill at this point. 

9 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

I know we could use a Saftey (FS) and they might be some good one available BUT NOOOOOOO for me. I want the next Jason Witten for the next ten years, not the old one we have now. a Bigtime TE is such an important security blanket for Dak or any other QB. 

If the best player we leave this draft with is Jace Sternberger, we did an alright job by me. Dude is going to be a really solid TE for a lot of years, and a perfect replacement for Witten. My dream scenario would be to land him at #90. 

6 hours ago, Runaway Jim said:

I voted for the WR.  I think the only receivers we have that we can count on are Cooper and Gallup.

I might lean Deebo if the safeties are wiped out, and could be convinced even if not. Dude has some of that JuJu/Anquon to his game. Would be such a weapon for Dak out of the slot from game 1. Not a bad option at all. Love this player. 

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I wouldn’t be surprised by this, but it’s hard for me to envision which player will fall. Tillery, Lawrence, and Simmons all look like locks to be gone by #58 at this point. Crazy things happen, just hard to predict who might fall at this point. I also don’t know that you can completely rule out Willis or Hill at this point. 

If the best player we leave this draft with is Jace Sternberger, we did an alright job by me. Dude is going to be a really solid TE for a lot of years, and a perfect replacement for Witten. My dream scenario would be to land him at #90. 

I might lean Deebo if the safeties are wiped out, and could be convinced even if not. Dude has some of that JuJu/Anquon to his game. Would be such a weapon for Dak out of the slot from game 1. Not a bad option at all. Love this player. 

I'm a big fan of Deebo and would love to see him end up in Dallas especially with the uncertainty (health or contract or both) around Cobb, Austin and Hurns.

I think Wilson can be a solid player but I wouldnt want to bet the house on him if we had an injury or 2.

14 hours ago, matt79511 said:

One-on-one man coverage can't hold up for more a couple of seconds, agreed. You're not zero blitzing every play in the NFL, though. Flooding the right areas of the field with zone defenders buys you more time than that.

There's a reason the Pats have consistently eschewed premium cost DLs for DB talent, and KC and BAL followed suit this offseason. It may seem wonky, but it's not as difficult to neutralize a good pass rush as people make it out to be. The key to an effective rush is attacking QBs from set points based on their own specific mechanics/tendencies, so by the same token, you can block a pass rush if you know how/when/where they plan to attack you.

Also if a defensive line is supposed to rotate and a secondary is not, how much more valuable can 60% snap players really be than 100% snap ones? So much more valuable that the latter shouldn't be taken in the first 100 picks? I have a hard time reconciling that people can actually hold this opinion in 2019. Almost every team that has advanced further than ours in the playoffs in recent years outspent us at DB.

All rationally thought out and explained Matt, I would expect nothing less. However, please explain to me why we repeatedly put emphasis on CB and S in every offseason and yet we still cannot cover anyone or advance in the playoffs? 3rd and 20 Rodgers completes a 30 yard pass to set up the winning FG. This is just one example of how many times good QB's and some stinkers find ways to humiliate this team.

It seems with 11 players on the field at any time last year's opinion was "We need Earl Thomas to be a legit SB threat." 

?????? 

You mean to tell me with all the coaching, talent, drafting, FA players etc, we cannot win without this guy. And if that is the case, why didn't we go after him with an all or nothing mentality?

Sorry, I believe this position is overhyped and a waste of our time. We consistantly throw high picks at this position and get beat the same way every year.

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

All rationally thought out and explained Matt, I would expect nothing less. However, please explain to me why we repeatedly put emphasis on CB and S in every offseason and yet we still cannot cover anyone or advance in the playoffs? 3rd and 20 Rodgers completes a 30 yard pass to set up the winning FG. This is just one example of how many times good QB's and some stinkers find ways to humiliate this team.

Well, because the rules are slanted towards the offense, which makes playing defense hard. And Aaron Rodgers is about as special a player as the NFL has ever seen. No single defensive player is going to change things drastically, you have to build a roster with talent and depth across the board. 

I think your point does hold some merit in the debate about whether to take a defensive or offensive player. That because defense is inherently at a disadvantage, strengthening your offense if the best use of your premium assets.

But I don’t buy that because Aaron Rodgers made a ridiculous play, secondary isn’t a worthwhile investment.

2 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

It seems with 11 players on the field at any time last year's opinion was "We need Earl Thomas to be a legit SB threat." 

?????? 

You mean to tell me with all the coaching, talent, drafting, FA players etc, we cannot win without this guy. And if that is the case, why didn't we go after him with an all or nothing mentality?

Sorry, I believe this position is overhyped and a waste of our time. We consistantly throw high picks at this position and get beat the same way every year.

I wasn’t a fan of giving Thomas that sort of contract and I’m glad we opted out of doing so. That’s a different discussion, though. I don’t get how anyone can look at all the money and picks that teams like NE, NO, and LAR have sunk into their secondary and act like the positions are somehow worthless. They never come off the field! You can’t just put you or me out there. And even in the most dominant outing for your DL, they’re not going to win the war up front more than half the time. Even pressuring the QB on a third of the overall passing snaps over the course of the season is ridiculously high. You have to have a plan for those other 2/3

16 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

I am with @Rtnldave with this one. Whether you believe secondary help is important or overrated, I think it's fair to say we have invested quite a bit at those positions with debatable returns. I wish we would go after a trench monster or a weapon over the secondary almost always.

Have we invested quite a lot in the defensive backfield recently? I feel like that's a debatable statement at best. 

Premium draft picks spent in the last 5 years on:

Defensive Backs:

1st - Byron Jones
2nd - Chidobe Awuzie
3rd - Jourdan Lewis

Defensive Linemen:

1st - Taco Charlton
2nd & 3rd - DeMarcus Lawrence
2nd - Randy Gregory
3rd - Maliek Collins

We've mostly gotten by at DB on late draft picks (Anthony Brown, Xavier Woods) and UDFAs (Jeff Heath). We have not invested some absurd amount in DBs, and the two highest picks we spent (Byron and Chidobe) played nearly 2000 snaps combined.