Lions GM for a day....

ThaFranchize

Being a GM is tough.  Balancing the fans hunger to win now, but being mindful that we will be just as “hungry” the following year, and the year after that is no easy task. 

A big part of that is being in tune with the HC, and knowing which guys are bought in to the program.  Here is my “virtual GM” assessment of where we stand now with regard to 2019 and beyond positionally.  

QB- Above average.  I believe at least 12-13 teams would trade a 1st or a pair of seconds for Stafford.  Yes he’s overpaid, but by next year his contract will be middle of the road.  I like the Savage signing, now we need a guy like Rypien in 6.

RB- Average- I love KJ, but it’s scary when a talented and historically injured RB, breaks out as a rookie and then gets hurt.  I liked the CJ signing, but he was also cut 2-3 times last year   I hate Riddicks contract for his value.   I love a 4th round RB who can catch and break big plays this year  

TE- Average- I’m fine here.  We have 3 young guys who are specimens.   Tight ends typically don’t blossum until age 27, and we have 3 that are 26 and under   Let’s see what we have unless value lands in our lap in 5-6   We not only have young bodies and some proven production, we have at least 2 years with 2 of them  

WR- below average.   At this point I think Marvin is a nice 3, and Amendola and regency 4.  I expect 750 and 520 yards respectively.   Golladay is a low end #1 without shiftiness or break away speed.  Add a burner and we have a nice squad.   Without we don’t give Stafford much to work with.

IE- give me a top tier WR and Jesse James in our starting lineup over Amendola and Hock.

OL-  above average.  I love 4/5 of it  I’m worried about 1 year with Glasgow and 2 with Decker, and no RG.   Give me a 3rd round RG over Wiggins all day   

CB- solid.   we still have Tabor and Agnew   I haven’t 100% given up yet.  We spend big money on Coleman, and decent money on Melvin opposite Slay.   We paid 2 free agents about 9.0 and 4.5M respectively, have a Pro Bowler, and 2 rookie deals that are in year 3.   I’d leave this alone.  

Safety- terrified.   I think Walker is purely hope, and Diggs is great. No depth behind them.   I’d have like Ha Ha or maybe a run at Eric Berry   

DE- strength.   I don’t get the edge rusher desire.   In my world we have 3 young studs signed for 2-5 years each.  Flowers on one side,  Hand on the other and Okwara in rotation on either side.   That should be 20 sacks this year combined.   

DT- terrified.  Two years with Snacks at 31, and A Robinson in his last year   Nothing else behind them.

*Ed Oliver*   He’s healthy and per his Pro Day, nimble and strong   He’d have been a top 3 pick had he been healthy all year, and would have had like 25 TFL    A rush DT like a hybrid between Donald and Atkins   Less impactful than Donald, more than Atkins   

LB- nervous- I am a believer in Davis in year 3.   I like Kennard, and I like C Jones for depth, not starting   I’d love to draft White, and blitz Davis from the weak side   

RG- is our biggest starter hole

MLB- would upgrade 2 positions with Davis going to WLB

Safety- has great contracts and years, but nervous about Walker starting, and nervous about depth

DT- have 2 solid players, but one battling age, and one with only 1 year left  

WR- we need a playmaker   

RB- need a gadget back on a good contract 

RD 1- Oliver, D White, C Wilkins- best way to sure up the D.  We improve at starter and fix depth  

RD 2- WR- Harry, Campbell, Brown, Hunter, Isabella, etc

RD 3- RG

RD 4- DT or LB depending on rd 1

RD 5- RB

RD 6- FS

RD 6- TE

RD 7- QB

RD 7- DT

sign Ziggy to a big prove it deal   13m on 1 year 

extend Glasgow and A Rob

Ed Oliver fills all of the above.  1) BPA 2) NEED 3) future stability at position. 

His Pro Day was nuts!  He was .04 slower than Donald in the 40.  3 reps off in bench.  Still crazy fast and strong.  Bigger vertical, top end WR type vertical and broad.  Far better than Donald.  Better cone drill time too.  

Right now we need a coverage LB, a foundational interior DL piece, and one more secondary player, preferably a safety.  

I agree our OL needs attention.  Clearly at RG, soon at C, and not too far off at LT and RT.   

WR is crazy expensive in FA.  Guys like Humphries getting 7-8m per, and guys like Funchess, Allen Hurns and Moncrief have been ridiculously expensive.  

We need to be real optimistic to pretend we are okay are WR.  Not just in 2019, but by 2020 its possible that Golladay is the only current lions WR that is still on the team  

I comp out Oliver to Fletcher Cox or Donald.   He was pegged the number 1 overall pick a few months ago.  He’s back to full health and he is a wrecking ball   

Flowers/Okwara

Snacks 

Oliver/A-Shawn

Hand/Okwara

J Davis

Z Brown

D Kennard

Slay/Coleman

Walker/ E Berry

Diggs

Melvin/Coleman

We have a ton of money   Extend Glasgow and Ashawn now.   Glasgow’s price will go up in the off-season.  Not being taken care of before risking injury, will justifiably push him to test the waters.   Pay him 4 years and 40m extension.   I think he’s take that now   In reality it’s 5 years and 40.7m   Fair deal for him    Give Ashawn 4 years and 26M now   It’s like 5 years and 26.9m   

Take a lot of the hot now   We have 28m left  

sign Zach Brown to 3 years and 16m, in realty 2 years in 10 then cuttable   Coverage mlb who cleans up tackles   Let’s Davis become the blitz and chase and tackle WLB he is   

Sign Berry to a 1 year prove it   

Flowers and Oliver add 12 sacks to our D   Plus versatility and inside pressure   Oliver is faster than nick Bosa   He can also play DE

Fix the offense in 2, 3, and 4 

WR

RG

RB

Oliver might not be “as” strong as Aaron Donald, but pound for pound he’s stronger than Fletcher Cox, N Suh and G Mccoy.  More bench reps by far than any but Suh and he tied Suh at 16 pounds lighter.  He was between 6 and 10” higher in vertical and crushed them all in broad jump. 

Despite missing 5 games last year, and only playing 3 years- he has more tackles for loss over his career than any of the above despite playing far less games.  Had he played one more year, I’d bet he would have eclipsed all 3 in sacks too.  I’m 2.5 years he did eclipse Cox and Mccoy.  

We are talking about 290-310 pound guys who stop the run, collapse the pocket, and disrupt QBs   

If you gave 31 other teams the choice between-

D Hand is 6’4 and 277- hrs too tall and too slight of frame to play DT!   He played a lot there while A Rob was in the doghouse.  Teams ran all over he and RJF- 

Then Snacks showed up, A Rob started playing, and Hand kicked outside til he was hurt.   Hand was a force on the outside.   Stout against the run, able to get some pass rush, even strip the ball.

The problem?  Snacks with 5.2 speed, A Rob with 5.1 speed, and Hand with 4.8 speed.   No pass rush with that lineup   

Now remove Ziggy (hurt) for Flowers, pull Snacks for Oliver, A Rob for Hand, and start line up Okwara on obvious pass downs     

On run downs- Oliver, Snacks, A Rob, Hand

base- Flowers, Oliver, Snacks, Hand   

DE

Flowers

okwarwa

hand

DT

Oliver

Snacks

A Rob

That is a DL

Again, we have holes at RG, WR, DT, DE, LB, CB, Safety, and maybe TE

depending on whether coaches like hand as an edge setting DE, or a pass rushing DT more really decides whether it’s DE or DT we have a need at.  

Maybe my bias for Oliver or even Wilkins is because I doubt many of these draftees will be 10 sack guys.  

We have 4 of the top 50 sack guys from last year on our team now in Okwara, Flowers, Kennard, and Davis   

Signing Zach Brown at MLB deploys Davis to blitz even more, and he’s good at it (6 sacks)    

Half the top 25 sack leaders last year weight over 285 pounds.  7 were listed as pure DTs and another 8 were 5 technique guys like Campbell, Donald, JJ Watt, Chris Jones, etc    3-4 DT/DE

very few Von Miller body types.   Guys like Sweat aren’t stout enough against the run, nor agile enough to drop back   

285 pound DE/DTs who can rush the passer and eat RBs are the most valuable players on the D now.   Donald, Watt, Buckner, C Jones, J Reed, D Autry, F Cox, 

the fact that Bosa is less productive and less efficient than Oliver and is consensus too 2 makes me laugh

compare Garret or even Chubb to Bosa- stars, size, athleticism   It’s not even close

the 4 freaks are Oliver, Q Williams, J Allen and D White   

36” vertical at 285 plus pounds is pretty decent leg strength.   My point was he’s explosive, He’s strong, and he’s mean.  

When a guy who was in the #1 overall pick conversation in August, shows his athleticism is at least on par with his crazy production, you have a rare player.   Patrick Willis, Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Aaron Donald, “specimens” with athleticism 

I like our CB situation.   I’d be pumped to see a scrappy guy like Mike Ford be our M Butler.   He’s big and fast, and he looked decent last year when give  a shot.   We have a Pro Bowler on one side.   We have the top paid nickel in the NFL.   We have a vet we just pod 4.5m in Melvin, we have a promising 2nd year guy in Ford and recent 2nd and 5th round picks.  

I hate our WR situation.  We have a guy pushing 30 that is coming off a blow knee.  2 years left, who knows how his knee rebounds.  We have a 3rd year player who feels a bit like M Colston to me.  Maybe 900-1200 yards and 7-8 tds a year.   A really nice 2, but doesn’t separate easily enough to be a consistent 1.   Our wr3 is 34, injury prone, has zero upside, a career high of like 630 yards and never plays even 12 games.   We have nothing beyond them.  

Slay >  Golladay

Melvin <  M Jones

Coleman >  Amendola

Ford >  TJ Jones

Agnew >  Powell

Tabor  ???    ????

Edge??   I know pressure is important.  We finished #10 in the league in sacks last year.  

We have 3 edge rushers that had 7 plus sacks each last year- Flowers, Okwara, and Kennard

We have a lack of pass rushers from the interior though.  D  Hand is suited best as a LDE to set the edge and run into 6-7 sacks, and if Davis become a blitz WLB he could hit 5-6 again easily  

This team needs a MLB, penetrating DT, WR and RG, and hopefully a TE and scat back   

Cut Riddick and pay Zach Brown

1   Oliver

2  Butler/Harry/AJ Brown Or Samuel/Isabella/Campbell depending on the type they want

3  N Davis- RG

4 Bryce Love

5  TE

6 DE

6 CB

7 DE

7 QB

Archived