How do you guys feel about trailers?

RamRod

3 hours ago, texans_uk said:

A recent trend I've found with trailers, or maybe I'm just paying more attention, is how much of the movie they are ruining. 

I remember seeing the trailer for Anger Management way back when. Saw it in theaters and was completely disappointed. The only like three funny parts of the whole movie were in the trailer.

I watch them for either movies I'm excited about or movies that I'm on the fence/don't know much about. I get too excited by comic book movies to not watch the trailers, for instance. And the vast majority of the time, it never causes a problem. Most studios are pretty good after crafting trailers not to spoil too much. I think BVS and Spiderman: Homecoming were the only ones I felt kind of burned by. And on the flip side, trailers got me excited for Wonder Woman and Thor: Ragnarok when I previously did not care about either movie much, so it's about 50/50 there for me anyway. The trailers can definitely help confirm that I'm justifiably excited or that I'm going to be walking into the movie that I think I'm walking into. And there's a few gems I've seen purely because of the trailer that I otherwise wouldn't have noticed (Kingsman, Baby Driver, etc.) So I'll keep watching them.

Comedies they're useful for making sure it isn't garbage. Like Horizon said, they try to actively pick funny stuff to throw in the trailer, so if they fail at that, that means there's probably not enough good humor in there to justify the movie.

Horror trailers all blur together for me, so I kind of don't see the point there.

As far as the complaints go about 3 - 4 trailers or whatever, normally half the footage in each one is in some of the other ones. So even if you get three 2 minute trailers, you're not getting 6 minutes of content of the movie, you're probably really only seeing like 3 minutes worth of movie footage in there. And the TV spots show even less new stuff (though I don't have cable, so I haven't seen a TV spot in a good while, so maybe that's changed?)

On 9/2/2017 at 2:05 AM, texans_uk said:

A recent trend I've found with trailers, or maybe I'm just paying more attention, is how much of the movie they are ruining. 

Yeah I like a trailer that gets you hyped for the movie without spoiling it. I agree that they are bad for spoiling movies at the moment 

I've never quite been able to understand the whole concept of having to turn the pulling vehicle in the opposite direction when backing one up.  I'd prefer to not ever have to pull one again.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/vehicle-towing/trailer/difficult-backing-up-trailer.htm

Aww crap.  I just read the rest of the thread.  Boy did I misinterpret the title of this thread.  

Archived