***Spoiler Thread*** Avengers: Endgame

Deadpulse

Just now, THE DUKE said:

What I don't understand is why doesn't Universal do a deal with Marvel like Sony did with Spiderman?   It's not like they ate doing anything with him.

They also own Namor's rights the same way.    You'd think they'd want to start printing $$ with Marvel.   Honestly, IMO I think their pride prevents them from doing it - they still see themselves as the top dog, they've been one of the top if not the top studios for so long.   Helping Marvel dethrone them isn't in their DNA.  Really, that's the only rational explanation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

They also own Namor's rights the same way.    You'd think they'd want to start printing $$ with Marvel.   Honestly, IMO I think their pride prevents them from doing it - they still see themselves as the top dog, they've been one of the top if not the top studios for so long.   Helping Marvel dethrone them isn't in their DNA.  Really, that's the only rational explanation.

So dumb. I understand that they don't want to give up the rights to those characters, but do they actually think they'll be able to do those characters justice?

43 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

That was a long month, anyways. 

I did not like that they built Thanos character for IW, than kill him off in the first 10 minutes. I understand that they still fought Thanos, but that one didn’t really win. 

His entire side was burned and injured from destroying the stones. He was weak and stone-less. I see the beginning as being the continuation/ending of IW and then Endgame not really starting until the "five years later" part.

On 5/23/2019 at 10:37 PM, Broncofan said:

Yeah, I mentioned this before (I get no one has time to read all these pages lol), but the rights issues is a huge reason that limits the Hulk storyline across the board.  He's never logged more than 21 minutes - and always is 3rd/4th at most in screen time, even in Ragnorok.   That's directly due to the rights issue.   Marvel just CAN'T make him the centerpiece, he's only a cog in the ensemble.

And given that, they could use him as the ace-in-the-hole in Avengers, but it's no coincidence that Ultron, Ragnorok & now IW/Endgame, his billing as their "ultimate weapon" was pure smokescreen.   It sucks, but there's no point in making Hulk a centerpiece if you can't dedicate the airtime and the solo movies a centerpiece would command.   At least they used him to build up Thanos in IW, that was a clear message sent early on.   Whether you like or hate the turn his character took this time, keep in mind that Marvel's hands are tied here in making it an abbreviated part of the story - they have to tell a REALLY short story with Hulk, as per the agreement with Universal.   It really sucks, but it is what it is.

Is the biggest rights issue the Hulk, Banner, or both?

2 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

I did not like that they built Thanos character for IW, than kill him off in the first 10 minutes. I understand that they still fought Thanos, but that one didn’t really win. 

I thought it was fine, he died happy and at peace as he achieved his life’s goal. That’s why 2014 Thanos wasn’t bothered about seeing his own death. It was only when he realised that the Avengers had a plan to undo what he did that he was bothered 

10 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

Thanos entire goal was to erase half of the world, and he did it.  He did his job.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Is the biggest rights issue the Hulk, Banner, or both?

It's both. Along with every other Hulk-related character. It's why we probably won't see She-Hulk anytime soon.

On 5/23/2019 at 8:37 PM, Broncofan said:

Yeah, I mentioned this before (I get no one has time to read all these pages lol), but the rights issues is a huge reason that limits the Hulk storyline across the board.  He's never logged more than 21 minutes - and always is 3rd/4th at most in screen time, even in Ragnorok.   That's directly due to the rights issue.   Marvel just CAN'T make him the centerpiece, he's only a cog in the ensemble.

And given that, they could use him as the ace-in-the-hole in Avengers, but it's no coincidence that Ultron, Ragnorok & now IW/Endgame, his billing as their "ultimate weapon" was pure smokescreen.   It sucks, but there's no point in making Hulk a centerpiece if you can't dedicate the airtime and the solo movies a centerpiece would command.   At least they used him to build up Thanos in IW, that was a clear message sent early on.   Whether you like or hate the turn his character took this time, keep in mind that Marvel's hands are tied here in making it an abbreviated part of the story - they have to tell a REALLY short story with Hulk, as per the agreement with Universal.   It really sucks, but it is what it is.

I read it all :D Very much appreciate the info.

Wish there was more discussion but it happens when the movie isn't brand new anymore.

Edited by Xenos

13 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Don’t think End Game will pass Avatar for the all time record.

12 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Disney/Marvel is definitely keeping it in theaters until it does. If not on the initial run, then they'll re-release before Oscar voting to get it to #1.

Yeah IW stayed in theaters until past Labor Day and was in 1400+ theaters until the end of June.  It’s hard not to see Endgame get the same treatment.  

IW made 68M+ domestically in that post-Memorial Day to July 4 run.    Endgame is 111M away from the top spot.    Given how much stronger the overseas market has been for Endgame (although it usually slows down at a fast rate now too)  it really seems like a formality.    At the very worst an Oscar re-release seems a shoo-in to get it there.    Given how closely Far From Home relies on seeing Endgame to get the full impact it doesn’t seem like the run will be shortened during the summer, either.   Marvel didn’t shorten IW’s run while Ant-Man and the Wasp ran in the summer and it could have been argued the 2 were more in competition than aligned as the 2019 Endgame / Far From Home combo. 

And before ppl say that’s s cheap way to get the top spot keep in mind that Avatar was in release for 6+ months and did its own re-release (plus enjoyed the novelty graphic upgrade to get a ton of IMAX extra sales).   And the competition  Endgame faced in May and will in June with John Wick 3, Aladdin, X-Men Dark Phoenix & Godzilla / Pikachu overseas (the last 2 are huge internationally), that’s an impressive feat. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This pretty much seals it:

While attending the Spider-Man: Far From Home press junket in London, ComicBook.com's Brandon Davis spoke exclusively with Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige, who confirmed that Avengers: Endgame was heading back to the big screen for a theatrical re-release. Not only that, but this version of the film will arrive with extra scenes that weren't included in the first theatrical release.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/06/19/avengers-endgame-theatrical-re-release-extra-footage-kevin-feige/

• Like 1