***Spoiler Thread*** Avengers: Endgame

Deadpulse

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Would be awesome.

And really the multi-verse opens that possibility up.  Who wouldn't be opposed to RDJ making a final appearance out of the blue ala Steve Carroll in the office?

And yeah, they'll to end it at some point for obvious reasons.  A big finale like that would be pretty great.

They don’t even have to bring him back to life, just save a final holograph message and that Galactus suit or whatever thing.  When it ends, RDJ has to appear.  He had meant so much to this franchise.

On 7/10/2019 at 6:12 PM, Outpost31 said:

They don’t even have to bring him back to life, just save a final holograph message and that Galactus suit or whatever thing.  When it ends, RDJ has to appear.  He had meant so much to this franchise.

Yeah with the multiverse seemingly coming to the MCU, you can't never say never..

2 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

5 million away from beating avatars worldwide record

At the current rate it would need like 3-4 more weekends.  Feels like it might not get there given it's coming to streaming in about 2 weeks.

EDIT: Eh, maybe only 2 more weeks.  They've done 4 Mil and 3 Mil the last two weeks.

14 minutes ago, theJ said:

At the current rate it would need like 3-4 more weekends.  Feels like it might not get there given it's coming to streaming in about 2 weeks.

EDIT: Eh, maybe only 2 more weeks.  They've done 4 Mil and 3 Mil the last two weeks.

It's going to get re-released at the beginning of next year right before the Academy votes are due.

The question will be if James Cameron tries to throw his weight around and get Disney to re-release Avatar in 2021 before the sequel comes out.

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

It's going to get re-released at the beginning of next year right before the Academy votes are due.

The question will be if James Cameron tries to throw his weight around and get Disney to re-release Avatar in 2021 before the sequel comes out.

Haha yeah i wouldn't be surprised.

25 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

The smart way would be to release it again, but with the first 20 mins or so of Avatar 2 (or new footage of the movie bridging the gap between the two shown after). $$$.

Well for all the talk that the new footage wasn’t enough to get Endgame over the top - the staying power and interest internationally (combined with the Far From Home bump into rewatching) really got a big bump - officially passed Avatar tonight for #1 at 2.789B.  

With 2 weeks before digital release and likely kept in theatres until Labor Day (same MO with IW), I’d say 2.8B is a lock.  And a 20-30M edge seems like the minimum to keep it ahead of a 3rd Avatar re-release to play leapfrog if the international surge still has legs.  

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/avengers-endgame-box-office-record-avatar-2-1203256562/

Edited by Broncofan

14 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Well for all the talk that the new footage wasn’t enough to get Endgame over the top - the staying power and interest internationally (combined with the Far From Home bump into rewatching) really got a big bump - officially passed Avatar tonight for #1 at 2.789B.  

With 2 weeks before digital release and likely kept in theatres until Labor Day (same MO with IW), I’d say 2.8B is a lock.  And a 20-30M edge seems like the minimum to keep it ahead of a 3rd Avatar re-release to play leapfrog if the international surge still has legs.  

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/avengers-endgame-box-office-record-avatar-2-1203256562/

With Disney owning both franchises do you think they would do that. 

2 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Probably a good idea to get Avatar back into the public eye before the sequel. One thing this chase has done is actually get the movie's name back out there.

At least I'm sure that's how they'll sell it. Not like they have to pay for anything except the screens.

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Probably a good idea to get Avatar back into the public eye before the sequel. One thing this chase has done is actually get the movie's name back out there.

At least I'm sure that's how they'll sell it. Not like they have to pay for anything except the screens.

Just seems weird to congratulate end game for passing avatar, and then rereleasing avatar to beat end game when you own that franchise.

4 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Just seems weird to congratulate end game for passing avatar, and then rereleasing avatar to beat end game when you own that franchise.

Maybe they won't. We have no idea, but I'd bet Cameron at least tries to get them to so he can reclaim the title.

5 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

3 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Maybe they won't. We have no idea, but I'd bet Cameron at least tries to get them to so he can reclaim the title.

3 things to consider IMO:

1.  If Endgame gets the to "until Labor Day" treatment that Infinity War got, and realizing that some international markets are still just getting the re-released version, I think 2.8B is a lock, and it could be as high as 2.81 - 2.82B.   Even creeping along, 6 weeks of theatre time, at 500-900 theatres in NA, and more internationally (where it still holds a 30/70 split), that adds up.   That would likely end up being a 20-30M lead if they play until Labor Day weekend is over.

2.  Endgame is likely going to get some Oscar nomination consideration, so a re-release in November/December (before SW comes out, of course) isn't out of the question, either.  That could again net 5-10M more.    If Endgame is 20M+ ahead, let alone 30M+, it's a very tall order for any movie to get even 8 figures on re-release.

3.  Cameron's ego could demand a shot at reclaiming the title, but the idea of putting 10-20 mins of Avatar 2 out there seems far fetched.   Teasers are all you see, otherwise it takes away the rewatch target if you include a good chunk of the sequel in the re-release.  And re-watches are where the $ gets made.   IW's staying power internationally is what's giving it the legs when most experts wrote off its chances to catch Avatar after John Wick / Aladdin slowed its momentum down.  

Honestly, if I were to guess now, I think Endgame ends up 2.81 - 2.82B - before the Oscar re-release scenario (#2).   I think that would make an Avatar re-release an almost fruitless exercise.

Finally consider this, with the way things are playing out, Disney can now say they have the following:

-Top NA movie of all time (SW-TFA, 950M+)

-Top International movie of all time (Avatar at 2.03B)

-Top Overall movie of all time (Endgame, 2.8B+ likely by end).

3 top sellers, 3 franchises.  Honestly, other than Cameron's ego (which remember, you can't discount, after the public complaints on the MCU he had to backtrack on bigtime this April lol), for Disney, Endgame being top dog but not passing TFA domestically, and Avatar internationally, is their best case scenario.  I'd be surprised if anything changes from that - at least until Avatar 2 is released (honestly I'm skeptical it will even come close, but that's another story).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Avatar 2 has no shot at the all-time title unless it's just an all-time great movie.

I made a bet on here like 8 years ago with someone that Avatar 2 would make more than Avengers: Age of Ultron. I've got to try and find it. That's the only number I care about for it haha.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Avatar 2 has no shot at the all-time title unless it's just an all-time great movie.

I made a bet on here like 8 years ago with someone that Avatar 2 would make more than Avengers: Age of Ultron. I've got to try and find it. That's the only number I care about for it haha.

Yeah TBH I’d be surprised if it sniffs 2B.   1B is a lock imo.   Getting to 1.4B (AoU numbers) seems less than 50-50 except for the international love.  

Avatar came out of nowhere but the story setting originality and leap in graphical quality isn’t there.  I’m pretty confident it will still be a 3x+ moneymaker for Disney & co. unless the budget goes nuts.   But top 10 contender let alone all time contender seems like a stretch.