Your Top 5 Big Board for pick 9

Trentwannabe

Pretty simple and straight forward, who are your top 5 (realistic) options at pick 9 that you would like to see the Bills go after. Imagine we can't trade back or don't trade up. We are stuck at 9, what 5 guys you want and in what order?

Mine:

1. Ed Oliver
2. Montez Sweat
3. Jonah Williams
4. Andre Dillard
5. DK Metcalf/TJ Hockenson (they're the same for me truthfully).

1. Ed Oliver
2. Kevin White
3. Montez Sweat
4. Jawaan Taylor
5. Brian Burns

16 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Pretty simple and straight forward, who are your top 5 (realistic) options at pick 9 that you would like to see the Bills go after. Imagine we can't trade back or don't trade up. We are stuck at 9, what 5 guys you want and in what order?

Mine:

1. Ed Oliver
2. Montez Sweat
3. Jonah Williams
4. Andre Dillard
5. DK Metcalf/TJ Hockenson (they're the same for me truthfully).

I like Hockenson but bills didnt meet with him and i would assume if they liked him they would have shown some form of interest whether it is a private workout or pre draft visit. Metcalf I could see them moving up from the 2nd rd to late 1st and take him in the 20s if he is still on the board which many believe he will be.  On another note, I dont get the Dillard love, why people think he is a top 10 pick, is there something that i am missing as you are not the only one who brought his name in to this at pick 9? He is very raw, I guess they think his ceiling is high but I dont get how a team can take a player that high based on potential.

I will say this if bills stand pat at 9 and dont draft a wr, I expect them to move up to in the 1st round and take metcalf, brown, or harry.

Mine changes constantly but Oliver is always at 1 and Hockenson has solidified himself at 2. 3-5 are changing constantly for me.  

1. Ed Oliver

2. TJ Hockenson 

3. Montez Sweat

4. Jonah Williams

5. D.K. Metcalf

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

Mine changes constantly but Oliver is always at 1 and Hockenson has solidified himself at 2. 3-5 are changing constantly for me.  

1. Ed Oliver

2. TJ Hockenson 

3. Montez Sweat

4. Jonah Williams

5. D.K. Metcalf

Damn bruh we almost the same. I have fallen off DK big time. Deep WR class we can nab one in the second.

My only thing with Wilkins is the same with Hockenson, I do not mind either one being selected at 9 if other options are gone but the bills havent met or held private works outs for either of them. I know it doesnt mean to much but if your spending a 9th overall pick on a guy you should have the GM who is drafting you show some form of interest on him other then what a scout is telling you or game film.

44 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Damn bruh we almost the same. I have fallen off DK big time. Deep WR class we can nab one in the second.

I would much prefer Harry or Harmon in the second.

I only included DK because his potential is hard to ignore (despite the risk being just as high as his potential). If someone like Jawaan Taylor or Devin White slide they'd bump DK off my top 5. I just expect White and Taylor to be gone before we pick. 

The drop off from Hockenson to Sweat in my rankings is huge. And the drop off from Jonah to whoever sits at 5 is pretty sizeable too. 

It's rare that an entire fan base is unanimous on their #1 overall player in Ed Oliver. Can't remember when that last happened.

Just for fun I went back to 2010 when I started following the draft more closely.

2018 (Josh Allen & Tre Edmunds). It was Rosen and the field of Josh Allen, Baker and Darnold. I think Rosen was the leader overall. Can't believe we also got Edmunds. We were all focused on QB though. 

2017 (Tre' White) - Deshaun Watson, Jamal Adams, Corey Davis, Marshon Lattimore, O.J. Howard were the mix of favorites. Don't kid yourselves and say Mahomes. Nobody knew Mahomes would be this good and I remember very very few people wanting him. Pretty certain I remember Trubisky had more fans than Mahomes haha. 

2016 (Shaq Lawson) - This pick was just meh. Not surprising nor was it a bad pick given the spot we took him. Can't remember specifically the mix of players but I know I wanted Darron Lee. Looking back, this draft was kinda ugly.

2015 (Ron Darby) - No first round pick, traded away to get Sammy Watkins in '14. 

2014 (Sammy Watkins) - Unexpectedly moved up. I think we were all dreaming of getting Watkins but knew it wasn't realistic, so our opinions were all over the place. Heh, lovely how that turned out. I know Mack was high on our lists, along with Ebron, Mosely, and pretty much any of the WRs.

2013 (EJ Manuel, yuck) - We originally were slotted at 8 before moving down. Mix of players I remember discussing at that spot were Dee Milliner, Tavon Austin, Cordarrelle Patterson, and others. We all knew we needed a QB desperately but Manuel was not at all an expectation in round 1. What a disaster.

2012 (Stephon Gilmore) - Ended up loving the selection of Gilmore but don't remember him being highest on our list. Luke Kuechly and Quinton Coples (yikes) were two I remember debating.    

2011 (Marcell Dareus) - This draft was super fun and damn is it talented looking back now. Picking at 3 meant blue chipper... Von Miller, Dareus, Patrick Peterson, Tyron Smith, AJ Green and Julio were all in the mix. But I think we were all between Von Miller and Marcell Dareus.

2010 (CJ Spiller) - I remember punching things over this pick I was so furious. He was fun for like one year. I wanted a bunch of different guys, namely Bryan Bulaga, Joe Haden, Earl Thomas or Eric Berry.    

Edited by NickChowaniec

I realize that the following list is not in the consensus BPA order that our FO wants to go with. Still, I feel our needs should be factored in to some extent and so have proposed this order:

Ed Oliver

TJ Hockenson 

Jawaan Taylor

Devin White

Montez Sweat

In theory, Hockenson should be my #5, but I have no faith in our current small group of TE's and Hockenson allows us to pound the ball plus attack through the air with the TE. Sweat also should be higher, but we don't really attack off of the edge, so it doesn't seem like as good of a fit. Properly used, I think he'd be a significant upgrade opposite Hughes, I just don't see him used that way, however. White is a stud who I'd probably have at #2 any other year, but our current LB corps played solid last year and I expect them to have recovered from injuries. Finally, Taylor is rated a little higher than he should be because I just don't believe we are done trying to improve our OL and there certainly is still improvements that can be made and hope we do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

On another note, I dont get the Dillard love, why people think he is a top 10 pick, is there something that i am missing as you are not the only one who brought his name in to this at pick 9? He is very raw, I guess they think his ceiling is high but I dont get how a team can take a player that high based on potential.

huh???? Dillard is anything but raw or a potential guy. 

Dillard has taken more "true" pass sets than any other OT in this class. Like doubled the next closest guy (Jonah). He also had the best pass blocking grade of those snaps (per PFF). He has started 39 games at LT and was first team All Pac 12. He is a plug and play LT. The only reason I prefer Jonah is become he can conceivably start at 4 out of 5 positions.

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

My only thing with Wilkins is the same with Hockenson, I do not mind either one being selected at 9 if other options are gone but the bills havent met or held private works outs for either of them. I know it doesnt mean to much but if your spending a 9th overall pick on a guy you should have the GM who is drafting you show some form of interest on him other then what a scout is telling you or game film.

Nothing has been reported on Hockenson from any team. He likely has met with the Bills. 

30 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

It's rare that an entire fan base is unanimous on their #1 overall player in Ed Oliver. Can't remember when that last happened.

Just for fun I went back to 2010 when I started following the draft more closely.

2018 (Josh Allen & Tre Edmunds). It was Rosen and the field of Josh Allen, Baker and Darnold. I think Rosen was the leader overall. Can't believe we also got Edmunds. We were all focused on QB though. 

2017 (Tre' White) - Deshaun Watson, Jamal Adams, Corey Davis, Marshon Lattimore, O.J. Howard were the mix of favorites. Don't kid yourselves and say Mahomes. Nobody knew Mahomes would be this good and I remember very very few people wanting him. Pretty certain I remember Trubisky had more fans than Mahomes haha. 

2016 (Shaq Lawson) - This pick was just meh. Not surprising nor was it a bad pick given the spot we took him. Can't remember specifically the mix of players but I know I wanted Darron Lee. Looking back, this draft was kinda ugly.

2015 (Ron Darby) - No first round pick, traded away to get Sammy Watkins in '14. 

2014 (Sammy Watkins) - Unexpectedly moved up. I think we were all dreaming of getting Watkins but knew it wasn't realistic, so our opinions were all over the place. Heh, lovely how that turned out. I know Mack was high on our lists, along with Ebron, Mosely, and pretty much any of the WRs.

2013 (EJ Manuel, yuck) - We originally were slotted at 8 before moving down. Mix of players I remember discussing at that spot were Dee Milliner, Tavon Austin, Cordarrelle Patterson, and others. We all knew we needed a QB desperately but Manuel was not at all an expectation in round 1. What a disaster.

2012 (Stephon Gilmore) - Ended up loving the selection of Gilmore but don't remember him being highest on our list. Luke Kuechly and Quinton Coples (yikes) were two I remember debating.    

2011 (Marcell Dareus) - This draft was super fun and damn is it talented looking back now. Picking at 3 meant blue chipper... Von Miller, Dareus, Patrick Peterson, Tyron Smith, AJ Green and Julio were all in the mix. But I think we were all between Von Miller and Marcell Dareus.

2010 (CJ Spiller) - I remember punching things over this pick I was so furious. He was fun for like one year. I wanted a bunch of different guys, namely Bryan Bulaga, Joe Haden, Earl Thomas or Eric Berry.    

I hated the Gilmore, Manuel, Watkins and Tre White picks..

Tre White shut me up really quick but man the Doug Whaley era was awful and set us back years with his awful picks.

1 hour ago, NickChowaniec said:

2010: Anthony Davis and DT Dan Williams were my guys 
2011: Dareus all the way. Knew we couldn't land Newton.
2012: Was a huge fan of Michael Floyd out of ND
2013: I was on the Geno Smith bandwagon and never believed he would even fall to 8.
2014: I was pumped when we traded up for Watkins but I thought Mike Evans was the perfect pairing with Stevie
2015: AJ Cann was who I wanted in round 2
2016: I loved the Lawson pick. Thought he would be our Adalius Thomas in Rex defense. 
2017: Trubisky was my favorite QB. Thought OJ Howard and Mike Williams would be really good fits.
2018: Rosen ...

Image result for you were the chosen one

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

2010: Anthony Davis and DT Dan Williams were my guys 
2011: Dareus all the way. Knew we couldn't land Newton.
2012: Was a huge fan of Michael Floyd out of ND
2013: I was on the Geno Smith bandwagon and never believed he would even fall to 8.
2014: I was pumped when we traded up for Watkins but I thought Mike Evans was the perfect pairing with Stevie
2015: AJ Cann was who I wanted in round 2
2016: I loved the Lawson pick. Thought he would be our Adalius Thomas in Rex defense. 
2017: Trubisky was my favorite QB. Thought OJ Howard and Mike Williams would be really good fits.
2018: Rosen ...

Image result for you were the chosen one

Shoot completely forgot about Geno. I was 100% on the Geno train too. And he went in the second round... crazy year.