Playstation 5

showtime

I'm making this right now because I'm assuming the console will actually be unveiled later this year.  I don't think it will be shown at E3 because Sony will not be present.  It might get shown during the Playstation Experience or some other noteworthy event.  We can use this thread to discuss the console and post any new news, etc.

Here are some of the details that have came out today about the console. 

Everyone has always projected a 2020 release time. 

For anyone who cannot see the Twitter details and wants to read the article in detail.

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Making backwards compatibility a priority is awesome, when XBOX seems to be moving more to a more digital model.

I'm guessing this will give them an excuse to charge more.

All the tech specs and hype, as always, will be believed when actual gameplay footage is unveiled. Everything leading up to that is irrelevant.

14 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Making backwards compatibility a priority is awesome, when XBOX seems to be moving more to a more digital model.

I'm guessing this will give them an excuse to charge more.

All the tech specs and hype, as always, will be believed when actual gameplay footage is unveiled. Everything leading up to that is irrelevant.

Backwards compatibility has been a priority on Xbox.  There are over 600 Xbox 360 and original Xbox games that are playable on the Xbox One.  Sony is finally starting on that.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and just guess on this, but PS4 owners will be able to play with PS5 owners.  That has never been possible with any new console that has come out, but I just have a feeling it's going to work that way.  So for example, if you're playing Overwatch on the PS4, you can play it with people who have a PS5; however, you'll be at some kind of disadvantage because they'll have better graphics and probably a higher FPS.

Just now, showtime said:

Backwards compatibility has been a priority on Xbox.  There are over 600 Xbox 360 and original Xbox games that are playable on the Xbox One.  Sony is finally starting on that.

Yea for sure in this gen. But they're trying to transition to more digital focus from what the reports show for next gen. Maybe even try a bigger push for a streaming service. I don't think either company wants to sell discs, that's why I'm happy to see Sony at least claim to make this a priority.

5 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Yea for sure in this gen. But they're trying to transition to more digital focus from what the reports show for next gen. Maybe even try a bigger push for a streaming service. I don't think either company wants to sell discs, that's why I'm happy to see Sony at least claim to make this a priority.

There's a digital only Xbox One coming out next month, I believe.  I'm still not sold on the new Xbox not having a disk drive.  The reports are, there will be two different models.

Personally, I haven't bought a physical disk since like NBA 2K14 (NBA 2K20 is coming out in a few months, for reference).  The reason being, it's not necessary anymore - because of all the backwards compatibility.  I bought the original Left 4 Dead on the Xbox 360 when it launched in 2008.  It's now 2019 and I can boot up that same game I bought 11 years ago and play it right now on my Xbox One without any issues.

It's pretty much just like Steam now and it's only going to continue to get better.

Here's some more information:

- 8-Core AMD CPU using 7nm Zen 2 microarcitecture and a variant of Radeon's Navi family supporting ray tracing. Chipset also includes 3D Audio support. Can produce graphics up to 8K.

- SSD that is specifically designed for the console that potentially makes load times 19x faster. Also has real time in-game benefits such as much smoother streaming in open world games.

- Current PSVR headset will be compatible with PS5.

- PS5 will be backwards-compatible with PS4.

- Death Stranding is highly alluded to being a cross-generation title. (Speculation)

- PlayStation will have a cloud-streaming strategy that will become clearer in the future.

There's just no real benefit to us, the consumers, by eliminating physical media. Personally I go physical just on principle; I don't want to pay $60 on something that will literally become worthless the moment I purchase it. I like the idea that I could at least get some money back... I also am old school I suppose, and like the optics of game cases lying around.

I don't see consoles getting rid of the disk drive any time soon though since I feel like the ability to play blu rays and DVDs is still enough of a draw that it would hurt the competition. If Microsoft decides to drop the disc drive while Sony keeps it, then suddenly there is no real debate as to which console is the best "entertainment" machine and will surely win over those who don't have a preference for exclusives. I guess, in this example, that would mean the PS5 is more expensive, but how much cheaper does a console really get from no disk drive? It would have to be a significant chunk IMO.

Of course Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and every game developer, would love nothing more than to eliminate the used games market. Understandably... but I think they all are too afraid to really test us on this, at least not yet. 

• Like 1

Just now, RandyMossIsBoss said:

There's just no real benefit to us, the consumers, by eliminating physical media. Personally I go physical just on principle; I don't want to pay $60 on something that will literally become worthless the moment I purchase it. I like the idea that I could at least get some money back... I also am old school I suppose, and like the optics of game cases lying around.

I don't see consoles getting rid of the disk drive any time soon though since I feel like the ability to play blu rays and DVDs is still enough of a draw that it would hurt the competition. If Microsoft decides to drop the disc drive while Sony keeps it, then suddenly there is no real debate as to which console is the best "entertainment" machine and will surely win over those who don't have a preference for exclusives. I guess, in this example, that would mean the PS5 is more expensive, but how much cheaper does a console really get from no disk drive? It would have to be a significant chunk IMO.

Of course Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and every game developer, would love nothing more than to eliminate the used games market. Understandably... but I think they all are too afraid to really test us on this, at least not yet.

I'm actually kinda surprise there has been so much backlash. I figured with so much of the mainstream consumers moving to streaming and not needing disc players for movies anymore this would be an easy transition, where they don't even need to convince us to do it, we'll accept it willingly the same way people voluntarily hand their lives over to big data....But apparently gamers are real stubborn ditbags. I'm so proud.

• Like 1

Just now, Mossburg said:

I'm actually kinda surprise there has been so much backlash. I figured with so much of the mainstream consumers moving to streaming and not needing disc players for movies anymore this would be an easy transition, where they don't even need to convince us to do it, we'll accept it willingly the same way people voluntarily hand their lives over to big data....But apparently gamers are real stubborn ditbags. I'm so proud.

Oh yes we are. Remember Microsoft's initial firm stance on how the Xbox One needed to be online and might even require Xbox Live to operate? Backlash was swift, and harsh, and the fact that Sony was in the other corner with open arms pretty much forced them to adjust. Unless the console developers group up and make a transition together, I think we'll still get physical media. 

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Oh yes we are. Remember Microsoft's initial firm stance on how the Xbox One needed to be online and might even require Xbox Live to operate? Backlash was swift, and harsh, and the fact that Sony was in the other corner with open arms pretty much forced them to adjust. Unless the console developers group up and make a transition together, I think we'll still get physical media. 

Physical media doesn't matter.  Are you saying that if the PS5 and next Xbox were to completely eliminate physical media that you would never get one of those consoles?

10 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

The SSD also needs to be at least 2 TB, preferably 5 TB. 

I'd be good with 2TB if the game files stay roughly the same size they are now for the average game.  For some reason I'm bracing for 500GB or 1TB, though.

17 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

The last time I bought a physical game disk was the first game I bought for Xbox one.  When I got home and discovered I still had to install the game for it to run I was like this is stupid.  I can DL a game in my pajamas at home and load it up anytime I want without having to switch out the game disks.  I also never trade in games because I go back and play them all the time.  

• Like 1