Playstation 5

showtime

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Saying they've never had great exclusives is a bit harsh.  Obviously that's your opinion, so everyone can respect that.  It's crazy how people forget back in 2006 or so when the PS3 and Xbox 360 were coming out.  Back then, the Xbox was the console that had the most exciting console exclusives - Gears of War was an insanely great and popular game and Halo was still in it's prime.  Back then there was no The Last of Us, Uncharted, Bloodborne, Nioh, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, rebooted God of War.

Things have obviously done a complete 180 and Sony clearly has the better list of exclusives without a doubt.  Microsoft needs to develop new games.  We'll see what they have in store.  One thing Sony still hasn't been able to do is create a first party multiplayer game that has become as iconic as their single player games.  They tried with Killzone, which I thought was a solid game, but it ultimately flopped.

That graphic is new.  Any old graphics were just rumors or leaks.  Those are actually the official specs for the Ps5.

I didnt mean to say they didnt have any individually good exclusives.  I just meant to say they have never had an overall impressive list of exclusives.

I care more about games themselves than graphics.   Even if PS5 isnt as powerful, there us no question thats what Im going with because they have far better exclusives and narrative driven games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I didnt mean to say they didnt have any individually good exclusives.  I just meant to say they have never had an overall impressive list of exclusives.

I care more about games themselves than graphics.   Even if PS5 isnt as powerful, there us no question thats what Im going with because they have far better exclusives and narrative driven games.

Yeah, that's the biggest issue with Xbox right now.  I always say this, but Gears and Halo are great - but how much longer are those going to be their flagship exclusives?  Halo is over 20 years old.  The game is getting stale.  Yeah, they can add new game modes, upgrade the graphics, etc but Halo is still Halo.  Gears of War is the same thing.  I've been playing that since 2007. 

Where are the new IPs, fresh ideas, memorable single-player experiences? 

When it comes to Sony, I don't need to see games.  I know they're coming.  When Microsoft does a huge reveal later this year or during the summer, I need to see some games.  Not Halo and Gears - some brand new and fresh ideas.  And they better be really good.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

@Kiltman Great points and great write up.

Can you shed some light as to why Sony cannot make PS1, PS2 and PS3 games backwards compatable?  I'm curious as to why this is when Microsoft is able to make OG Xbox games from 2001 backwards compatable with the Xbox One.

I think the PS3 games it's probably a lot to do with the goofy system structure. I truly don't get why games from the other two are any issue.

When Phil Spencer took over he made it like priority #1 to add the feature. They had the software engineers crack how to do emulation. It's not that hard..both the Ps4 & XOX are fairly straight forward power machines. You can strong arm the games to work with all that power ceiling. Why Sony doesn't do it...I don't know. I think they just don't want to do it. Xbox also found additional incentive with gamepass. Like Netflix padding their offerings with Speed and 90s action movies, these are the cheap additional offerings they can throw into gamepass. They put in all their 1st party releases now, so if you have it Halo Infinite is already paid for day 1, and rotate in 3rd party games from this gen (stuff like The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, a lot of AA games)

I'm kinda surprised Xbox is putting in AI-based tech to further improve these old games. Like they showed off Fusion Frenzy getting AI assisted HDR support, a game that came out at launch for the original Xbox in 2001. But i think it's one of those things that they put in systems for current gen games, and it's just a bonus that these old games get to benefit from modern graphics and improved frame rate.

I think with the power PS5 has, there is really no reason they can't emulate these old games. And your whole library not being guaranteed to come over is puzzling in 2020.

• Like 2

Sony dropped the ball. Kinda glad I've migrated over to PC a lot more now. Seems no reason to own a PS5 at launch. Series X isn't need at all sense the gamepads gives you everything on PC. But I'm really surprised at Sony and the backwards compatibility. I would've bought at launch if they got PS1, 2 and 3 BC. 

12 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

yeah the list has been bad. The games have been pretty good, but so few and far between.

My list I posted was mainly to show that it's going to be about equal for AAA games with a narrative of some kind.

Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Sony Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, Guerrilla (5) 
vs
343i, The Initiative, Ninja Theory, Playground, The Coalition, Obsidian (6)

trying to look again towards the race to get games out...

I think we'll see Sony repackage/market their two big games this year in Last of Us part 2,  Ghost of Tsushima with some sort of boosts from PS5.
Those teams will then go dark til 2023, with releases maybe in 2025.
We don't know of any launch games of theirs, none of their star studios seem like a timing fit. The Horizon Zero Dawn sequel likely hits "launch window" next year sometime.
The God of War sequel is years away, as is Spider-Man 2.  

On the Xbox side... Halo Infinite will be a launch title for the Series X. 
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II will potentially be the Fall 2021 release. The Initiative's game as well as Playground's RPG for 2022 seems possible.
Obsidian apparently has another team making a game, so that's maybe out in the next two years. An Outer Worlds sequel potentially by 2024
Rod Ferguson stepped down from The Coalition. If they are taking a break from Gears, might not see anything from them until late 2024

So we should be getting more big Xbox releases at the start of this gen, which makes me think Sony is probably going to be doing some 2nd party games to bolster things.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, showtime said:

@Kiltman Great points and great write up.

Can you shed some light as to why Sony cannot make PS1, PS2 and PS3 games backwards compatable?  I'm curious as to why this is when Microsoft is able to make OG Xbox games from 2001 backwards compatable with the Xbox One.

2 hours ago, Kiltman said:

yeah the list has been bad. The games have been pretty good, but so few and far between.

My list I posted was mainly to show that it's going to be about equal for AAA games with a narrative of some kind.

Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Sony Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, Guerrilla (5) 
vs
343i, The Initiative, Ninja Theory, Playground, The Coalition, Obsidian (6)

trying to look again towards the race to get games out...

I think we'll see Sony repackage/market their two big games this year in Last of Us part 2,  Ghost of Tsushima with some sort of boosts from PS5.
Those teams will then go dark til 2023, with releases maybe in 2025.
We don't know of any launch games of theirs, none of their star studios seem like a timing fit. The Horizon Zero Dawn sequel likely hits "launch window" next year sometime.
The God of War sequel is years away, as is Spider-Man 2.  

On the Xbox side... Halo Infinite will be a launch title for the Series X. 
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II will potentially be the Fall 2021 release. The Initiative's game as well as Playground's RPG for 2022 seems possible.
Obsidian apparently has another team making a game, so that's maybe out in the next two years. An Outer Worlds sequel potentially by 2024
Rod Ferguson stepped down from The Coalition. If they are taking a break from Gears, might not see anything from them until late 2024

So we should be getting more big Xbox releases at the start of this gen, which makes me think Sony is probably going to be doing some 2nd party games to bolster things.

Sony has a game from gearbox slated for the PS5, I forget what it's titled (Godfall?) so they'll likely fill the gap with 3rd party and that remake from the studio that did the shadow of the clollusus remake. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Sony has a game from gearbox slated for the PS5, I forget what it's titled (Godfall?) so they'll likely fill the gap with 3rd party and that remake from the studio that did the shadow of the clollusus remake. 

I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more from Godfall.  Looks like a loot based game, which I love.

1 hour ago, showtime said:
2 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more from Godfall.  Looks like a loot based game, which I love.

Oh yeah forgot about that one, looking forward to gameplay sometime soon on that. I fell out of love with Destiny, but a good looter game I could still get into. 
Glad it's coming to PC too, hopefully there is crossplay/cross-save... I'm probably gonna hold out til Spiderman 2 or the next God of War comes out to get a PS5 at this point.

Right now most of games I'm excited for the next couple year are mostly muliti-plats.
Cyberpunk, Dragon Age, Starfield, Elder Scrolls IV,  and Rocksteady's new game.

Of the exclusives coming out this year or have been announced
I'm excited for the new AAA Xbox games + Halo. A new Fable game with more budget behind it, all the story driven ones.
I'm sad I'm going to miss Ghost of Tsushima, I sold my ps4 last fall, but I'll pick it up for PS5. God of War was my favorite game this gen, so I can't wait for a follow-up. SM2
Switch will be mostly Pokemon, would play the hell out of Metroid or a new Donkey Kong when they come out. Love the switch for indies.

• Like 1

Overall I think it's fairly even right now with the edge leaning to microsoft because A. power. B. they've made very big strides from the last generation launch C. The actual investment in first party studios.

But it really will come down to games, last gen the PS4 was more powerful (until 2017 when the X dropped) 

• Like 1

Overall I think it's fairly even right now with the edge leaning to microsoft because A. power. B. they've made very big strides from the last generation launch C. The actual investment in first party studios.

But it really will come down to games, last gen the PS4 was more powerful (until 2017 when the X dropped) 

Hopefully they bring back Scalebound for the new Xbox.

• Like 1

Can't wait to see Sony start their hypetrain...been a super sleepy boring rollout thus far.

Want to see the Sony and Xbox versions of direct whenever they come (still june probably)
Setting markers for the next 3 years, packed with 3rd party stuff too. Just want to see the games at this point.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, showtime said:

I've been hearing that even though the PS5's GPU and CPU are a bit weaker, that game designers are more excited for the PS5 hardware.  Several people are saying this.

Lets be real...both consoles will be perfectly fine as next gen options.  I dont think you can go wrong either way.

As I said, I think first party titles will be huge selling poiints, so Microsoft needs to pick it up in a major way.

Should be an exciting next few years for gamers.

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Lets be real...both consoles will be perfectly fine as next gen options.  I dont think you can go wrong either way.

As I said, I think first party titles will be huge selling poiints, so Microsoft needs to pick it up in a major way.

Should be an exciting next few years for gamers.

There's something about the PS5's hardware that's more exciting for game developers.  I don't quite know what it is because I think it starts to get really technical, but that SSD is blazing.  It's like double the speed of the Series X's, which is insane. 

Either way, I posted that because that's really good for Sony.  And I'm not just talking about first party games.  I mean, devs from third party companies are saying this as well.  For example, EA, Ubisoft, etc.