Playstation 5

showtime

On 4/17/2020 at 9:44 PM, showtime said:

To me, I'm not even sure it's worth it.  Lets say the console winds up being $549.  If you save up a little more money, you can have a pretty nice gaming PC. 

But yeah, you make a good point and a good solution for some people to get the console even if money is short at the moment. 

You seem to have forgotten you can’t play Knack 2 on a PC though. To me you just sound really ignorant. 

• Like 4

The specs on the PS5 look to be really good.  I'm actually excited.  There are things I enjoy about the Xbox, but Sony's exclusives are just so much better and I plan on playing other third party games on PC, for the most part.  I've pretty much let go of sports games because of how bad they've become.  I didn't buy Madden this year.  I downloaded it from the EA Access Vault for one day and then uninstalled it after playing one game.  NBA 2K20 is one of the worst NBA games 2K has ever released, imo.

I'm mainly playing games like Overwatch, Smite, Apex, etc and all of those games are 1000x better on PC.  I'm getting Horizon Zero Dawn on PC when it launches this summer.  My hope is that Sony continues to put their exclusives on PC.  A report from probably the most reputable person in the industry says that Horizon Zero Dawn isn't going to be the last Sony exclusive we see coming to PC.  Hopefully, they all do so I can stop buying consoles altogether haha (except Nintendo, of course).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tyty said:

With last of us 2 coming in at 100 gb and the newest COD getting closer and closer to 250 gb I wonder how many tb the ps5 will have to be 

They announced it's 850GB. If games continue this trend you're going to only be able to have a handful of games downloaded at a time... I was thinking with the SSD being used installing will be a super speedy process so it won't be a big deal, but that's assuming you have a disc and not a digital download. Digital peeps will be constrained by their internet speeds and the Playstation servers :'(

Edited by elevators_rule

Just now, elevators_rule said:

They announced it's 850GB. If games continue this trend you're going to only be able to have a handful of games downloaded at a time... I was thinking with the SSD installing will be a super speedy process so it won't be a big deal, but that's assuming you have a disc and not a digital download. Digital peeps will be constrained by their internet speeds and the Playstation servers :'(

😂 oh gosh 

On 4/28/2020 at 4:31 PM, showtime said:

The specs on the PS5 look to be really good.  I'm actually excited.  There are things I enjoy about the Xbox, but Sony's exclusives are just so much better and I plan on playing other third party games on PC, for the most part.  I've pretty much let go of sports games because of how bad they've become.  I didn't buy Madden this year.  I downloaded it from the EA Access Vault for one day and then uninstalled it after playing one game.  NBA 2K20 is one of the worst NBA games 2K has ever released, imo.

I'm mainly playing games like Overwatch, Smite, Apex, etc and all of those games are 1000x better on PC.  I'm getting Horizon Zero Dawn on PC when it launches this summer.  My hope is that Sony continues to put their exclusives on PC.  A report from probably the most reputable person in the industry says that Horizon Zero Dawn isn't going to be the last Sony exclusive we see coming to PC.  Hopefully, they all do so I can stop buying consoles altogether haha (except Nintendo, of course).

Again, even if Sony starts putting exclusives on the PC,  it wont be immediately except for probably MLB the Show.   The major Sony exclusives will still be exclusive to the PS5 for probably 2 or 3 years.  

• 2 weeks later...

Epic showed off a tech demo today for Unreal Engine 5 running on the PS5.

Although it's just a tech demo, the lighting in particular looks absolutely incredible and is something I'm confident we'll see going forward. The super high res textures are insane as well and they described them as being literal ports from movies, no compression or anything. Although, I do wonder how that'll work with PC gaming? Unless I'm misunderstanding some technical breakthrough here, it sounds like a lot of this is the direct result of higher bandwidth/speed SSDs allowing them to bring images more quickly to memory. Most people on PC are still using HDDs (substantially slower), and even the SSDs we do see on the market today are much slower than that of the PS5 (and even the Xbox). Should be interesting to see how 3rd party games fare versus 1st party games next gen.

Here's a Youtube clip of the demo in case you don't want to watch using IGNs video player.

Also, like most people, I'm always skeptical to see tech demos for anything. They're obviously designed to look good and not always accurate representations of consumer products. However, I looked back the PS4 tech demo of Unreal Engine 4, and I gotta say, we've easily surpassed it. Makes me a little bit more trusting that this quality is something we can expect to see in future games.

• Like 1

It seems to me (i'll call myself the average technical guy), that the jump will be in things like you said involving lighting and depth. Because have the graphics overall really JUMPED that much? We're def curving down on that graphics jump end. 

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

It seems to me (i'll call myself the average technical guy), that the jump will be in things like you said involving lighting and depth. Because have the graphics overall really JUMPED that much? We're def curving down on that graphics jump end. 

Yeah the graphics jump is waning even more so than ever. The upgrades are going to be in fidelity of the image. Both new systems are plenty powerful enough to get native 4K/60 fps. Instead of having to use checkerboard it or other tech to achieve 4k like the PS4 pro did.

so even if you still have a 1080 tv it’ll look better.

So far a lot of the tech seems like it’s being made to make things easier for devs, make tough things like lighting and sound something that just works, without taking a ton of Dev time to nail.

The other big jump will be the SSD tech both have, it’ll make load times super fast. Which extends to the games where they can just load way more of the world. So things like open world games can really load in a ton of stuff to make them come alive.

• Like 3

On 5/13/2020 at 5:17 PM, Kiltman said:

Yeah the graphics jump is waning even more so than ever. The upgrades are going to be in fidelity of the image. Both new systems are plenty powerful enough to get native 4K/60 fps. Instead of having to use checkerboard it or other tech to achieve 4k like the PS4 pro did.

so even if you still have a 1080 tv it’ll look better.

So far a lot of the tech seems like it’s being made to make things easier for devs, make tough things like lighting and sound something that just works, without taking a ton of Dev time to nail.

The other big jump will be the SSD tech both have, it’ll make load times super fast. Which extends to the games where they can just load way more of the world. So things like open world games can really load in a ton of stuff to make them come alive.

The whole SSD jump is great, games can now be designed with SSD hardware in mind, meaning a total shift in game design..... until you remember that for the first 3-4 years of the PS5's life cycle, games will also release on the PS4. That realization was a total buzzkill for me. It will be a while before we're able to see games be created fully utilizing the SSD imo