Playstation 5

showtime

Has anyone played a 4k UHD blu-ray on PS5? How is it? 

I'm debating buying Dune, and that is the type of movie I'd be willing to pay for a disc to prevent any compression or dips in quality from streaming. But only if I can get premium 4K HDR quality.

PS+ and PS Now are merging into a single, tiered system:

PlayStation Plus Essential

• Benefits
    • Provides the same benefits that PlayStation Plus members are getting today, such as:
      • Two monthly downloadable games
      • Exclusive discounts
      • Cloud storage for saved games
      • Online multiplayer access
    • There are no changes for existing PlayStation Plus members in this tier.
    • $9.99 monthly / $24.99 quarterly / $59.99 yearly

PlayStation Plus Extra

• Benefits
    • Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
    • Adds a catalog of up to 400* of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.
    • $14.99 monthly / $39.99 quarterly / $99.99 yearly

PlayStation Plus Premium** 

• Benefits:
    • Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
    • Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
      • PS3 games available via cloud streaming
      • A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations 
    • Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.*** 
    • Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
    • $17.99 monthly / $49.99 quarterly / $119.99 yearly

Interesting news and certainly better than having them separate, however still way behind GamePass. Disappointed with this. I was hoping for some sort of discount on 1st party releases at launch, because I figured Sony wouldnt be offering those free like Microsoft is. 

I think I'll probably get the "Extra" tier. An extra $40 per year for access to some big titles is a good deal. Even if you only play one game per year it is cheaper than buying that game. 

TBH I have no interest in the old PS1/PS2/PS3 games. Sure the nostalgia is great, but it just isn't the same anymore.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I think I'll probably get the "Extra" tier. An extra $40 per year for access to some big titles is a good deal. Even if you only play one game per year it is cheaper than buying that game. 

TBH I have no interest in the old PS1/PS2/PS3 games. Sure the nostalgia is great, but it just isn't the same anymore.

AgreeAgreed. At this point I will just stick with the base PS+ until we see what types of games are added to the $100 option - I have my doubts that they will be worth it. 

Sucks that they locked away the retro stuff on the highest tier. Thought they maybe would’ve cracked the emulation for PS3 at this point too.

Makes sense that they added the quarterly and annual discounts, the higher tiers don’t seem like something you need to have all the time.

Yeah @JBURGE, figured they wouldn’t go day 1 releases too thought maybe the highest tier might.
Would be nice to hear how long of a wait it is for new games to hit that Vault for the 2nd two tiers.

Its really more like EA Play but with paying for the default PS+ on top of it.

5 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Sucks that they locked away the retro stuff on the highest tier. Thought they maybe would’ve cracked the emulation for PS3 at this point too.

Makes sense that they added the quarterly and annual discounts, the higher tiers don’t seem like something you need to have all the time.

Yeah @JBURGE, figured they wouldn’t go day 1 releases too thought maybe the highest tier might.
Would be nice to hear how long of a wait it is for new games to hit that Vault for the 2nd two tiers.

Its really more like EA Play but with paying for the default PS+ on top of it.

Yeah, I wish I could say I am not disappointed but I am also not surprised. Sony's selling point are their exclusives which are just way better than Xbox, even with Bethesda acquisition. I don't know how much longer Xbox will continue to include free day 1 games including Bethesda, but if it is permanent, Sony will be in trouble for new gamers.

5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Yeah, I wish I could say I am not disappointed but I am also not surprised. Sony's selling point are their exclusives which are just way better than Xbox, even with Bethesda acquisition. I don't know how much longer Xbox will continue to include free day 1 games including Bethesda, but if it is permanent, Sony will be in trouble for new gamers.

Yeah it was a hope and a prayer to get like GoW Ragnorak to be there day1. But stuff like Returnal, Ratchet & Clank launching at least on the middle tier would’ve been fine.

Its just not the biggest value add for people entrenched in that system who already bought a lot of the games. The only way they could get it to be is just wait for for a new release to hit tier 2/3. Which could hurt Sony’s initial sales a bit. Xbox has this problem with indies or lower end games, people will wait for it to come to Gamepass.

Im curious if they’ll get some 3rd party games to launch right into it.

At this point I can’t see Xbox changing the day one thing, it’s what the whole thing is built off of, especially with the influx they’ll get between the Starfield launch this year and whatever COD game is coming out next year. And in between the two there are a bunch of other games like Fable, Avowed, and Hellblade 2 potentially. So we won’t have to wait too long to see these two strategies go against each other.

My guess would be Horizon Forbidden West will be added to tier 2/3 for this Fall or Spring 2023 to fill the lull, along with Gran Turismo. With Ragnorak launching for $70 around the same time. Entice those new adopters or fill the whole in the schedule with the spring PS+ extra launch for HFW. Then Spider-Man 2 will launch Fall 2023.

So the service battle for wallets Fall to Fall will be

PlayStation plus Extra $100 (annual)
God of War Ragnorak $70
Spider-Man 2 $70

= ~ $240 + whatever other 1st and 3rd party games you want

Gamepass Ultimate $180 (annual)

includes; Starfield, Call of Duty 2023, and other games launching in 2023 like Fable, Avowed, Hellblade II and 3rd party

= ~ $180 + whatever other 3rd party games you want that didn’t launch into Gamepass.

I’m just glad there is the slightest movement in competition between the two, we all benefit that way. 
The extra tier will be great for me, being out of the PS ecosystem for 4 years. Can catch up on a lot of stuff without shelling out a ton of money.

10 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Wonder how they will handle people that have banked PS+ subscription time?  I have a few years.  Hope they offer an upgrade model into that mid tier.  

Probably would just transition to tier 1, right?

It would be nice if it worked like Gamepass did. Where if you bought Ultimate and had months of gold still it’d just convert it all to GP Ultimate. They also did like a $1 upgrade fee.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Probably would just transition to tier 1, right?

It would be nice if it worked like Gamepass did. Where if you bought Ultimate and had months of gold still it’d just convert it all to GP Ultimate. They also did like a $1 upgrade fee.

Yeah, they laid out that it just transitions to tier 1.  I was meaning an upgrade fee to get to tier 2, or 3 for someone interested in that, with the existing subscription time.  $1 would be spectacular.  I'd guess it's more like $5 a month or $40 a year. 

5 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Can I upgrade to tier 2 download the games I want and then drop back down to tier 1, and still be able to keep the games. 

only games I’m interested In playing from the older PS games are NCAA football and basketball. Hopefully that’s on there.

I doubt that.  It will probably work how PS+ does currently, where you can only play the game with an active subscription, it will just incorporate the active tiers, too.  Also would be shocked if NCAA football or basketball was on there.  EA doesn't even offer them in through their own subscription service.  

2 hours ago, Kiltman said:

It’s a curious decision. I personally couldn’t care less to play any old games but it seems like it would’ve made more sense to have them both be individually accessible and not have one as the cherry on top of the other.