Playstation 5

showtime

1 minute ago, Tyty said:

backwards compatibility: literally only care about it so I can play ncaa 14 potentially and throw my crappy OG PS3 off a bridge. I’m sure that other dingus on here will be stoked to play duelist roses yugioh on it too

I don't think that it will work because the game has been taken down from online purchasing. I am guessing all backwards compatible games PS3 or older would be emulated and they never bothered to support emulation for the game for legality concerns.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

I don't think that it will work because the game has been taken down from online purchasing. I am guessing all backwards compatible games PS3 or older would be emulated and they never bothered to support emulation for the game for legality concerns.

I will burn EA sports to the ground 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Neither Xbox or Sony are looking to profit off the hardware. Expect the Xbox Series X to come in at $100 more than the PS5, and the [Series S]* to be $50-100 less than the PS5. 

Expectations:
Series S will be $349
PS5 will be $399
Series X will be $499

Neither company really cares about making money on the hardware, they've learned that the most important thing is customer share even if it means selling the hardware for a small loss.

So you don't think the PS5 will offer costumers a more high end version of their console when Microsoft is?

4 minutes ago, showtime said:

So you don't think the PS5 will offer costumers a more high end version of their console when Microsoft is?

Out of the gate, from everything I've seen and heard (I've been following both pretty closely) it doesn't seem that will be the case. Maybe Sony offers a higher end one down the line in like a year or so.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Out of the gate, from everything I've seen and heard (I've been following both pretty closely) it doesn't seem that will be the case. Maybe Sony offers a higher end one down the line in like a year or so.

Why do you think the lower end Xbox would be cheaper than the PS5, though?  Why not the same price?

7 minutes ago, showtime said:

Why do you think the lower end Xbox would be cheaper than the PS5, though?  Why not the same price?

Because Xbox wants to take a two pronged approach. Offer the least expensive console for those who make their decisions mostly off of cost, and offer the most powerful console for those who care more about that. That's my expectation. That said, I don't expect that either company is set on a price point yet. 

They're both honestly playing chicken to see who'll blink first on that front.

2 hours ago, Danger said:
2 hours ago, showtime said:

Because Xbox wants to take a two pronged approach. Offer the least expensive console for those who make their decisions mostly off of cost, and offer the most powerful console for those who care more about that. That's my expectation. That said, I don't expect that either company is set on a price point yet. 

They're both honestly playing chicken to see who'll blink first on that front.

@Danger this is pretty much bang on. The PS5 will probably get a "Pro" version down the line with better specs than the Xbox Series X, which imo will work out for them long term, but Microsoft has work to do to get their share back, so it makes sense for them to target a wider audience at launch. 

From what we've seen, the Series X will be more powerful than the PS5. 

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

@Danger this is pretty much bang on. The PS5 will probably get a "Pro" version down the line with better specs than the Xbox Series X, which imo will work out for them long term, but Microsoft has work to do to get their share back, so it makes sense for them to target a wider audience at launch. 

From what we've seen, the Series X will be more powerful than the PS5. 

Seems like a bad movie if Danger is correct.  First of all, the console is cheaper than the PS5, which is a big deal.  Secondly, there is an option for the more hardcore (whether that's 4k 60 fps, high fps in general, VR, etc) where as Sony doesn't give that at launch.

You're right, Microsoft has a lot of work to do to get their share back, but they've been doing a hell of a job gearing up for that and if the console is actually cheaper at launch, that's a game changer for many parents who don't care or know anything about exclusives or games.

8 minutes ago, showtime said:

Seems like a bad movie if Danger is correct.  First of all, the console is cheaper than the PS5, which is a big deal.  Secondly, there is an option for the more hardcore (whether that's 4k 60 fps, high fps in general, VR, etc) where as Sony doesn't give that at launch.

You're right, Microsoft has a lot of work to do to get their share back, but they've been doing a hell of a job gearing up for that and if the console is actually cheaper at launch, that's a game changer for many parents who don't care or know anything about exclusives or games.

Of course it is, that's why they're doing it. It will/has cost them a lot to come out with two consoles at launch. Sony is doing what they did with the PS4 cycle, and honestly I prefer that approach. If the life cycle of the console is 5-7 years, I would rather get the PS5 and then upgrade 2-3 years in, rather than get the slightly more powerful Xbox Series X and then want to upgrade that in a few years when stuff gets better. 

Just now, JBURGE said:

Of course it is, that's why they're doing it. It will/has cost them a lot to come out with two consoles at launch. Sony is doing what they did with the PS4 cycle, and honestly I prefer that approach. If the life cycle of the console is 5-7 years, I would rather get the PS5 and then upgrade 2-3 years in, rather than get the slightly more powerful Xbox Series X and then want to upgrade that in a few years when stuff gets better. 

That's the thing, though.  According to reports, it's roughly three teraflops more powerful.  I guess it depends on what that actually means, but that can be more than a slight upgrade.  In addition, what if the PS5 Pro is on par with the Series X in terms of power?  So they release a PS5 Pro with three more teraflops that matches the Xbox Series X's power.

In other words, if the PS5 Pro was releasing at launch, wouldn't you just buy that instead?  It saves you money in the long term because you don't have to buy two consoles.

Both companies have been holding their cards close to their chests regarding games for the most part. Xbox probably has a couple more because they more or less conceded last gen a few years ago, and have been holding off any and all games to be next gen titles so they can enter this cycle with a bang. E3 this year will be where they finally lay everything down on the table for us to see.

40 minutes ago, Danger said:

Both companies have been holding their cards close to their chests regarding games for the most part. Xbox probably has a couple more because they more or less conceded last gen a few years ago, and have been holding off any and all games to be next gen titles so they can enter this cycle with a bang. E3 this year will be where they finally lay everything down on the table for us to see.

That's another thing I'm curious about.  I still want to know what killer app Sony is going to release alongside the PS5 and how will it be different.  I know The Last of Us 2 is coming out this year, but rumors are that's a May release.  I wonder what exclusive title is going to be releasing with the PS5.

On Microsoft's end, that killer app will be Halo Infinite.  Obviously, Halo Infinite will be released for the Xbox One, but I'm assuming we'll see graphical, frame rate, and resolution jumps if you play it on the Series X, which would be the reason to adopt the console at launch.

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

That's another thing I'm curious about.  I still want to know what killer app Sony is going to release alongside the PS5 and how will it be different.  I know The Last of Us 2 is coming out this year, but rumors are that's a May release.  I wonder what exclusive title is going to be releasing with the PS5.

On Microsoft's end, that killer app will be Halo Infinite.  Obviously, Halo Infinite will be released for the Xbox One, but I'm assuming we'll see graphical, frame rate, and resolution jumps if you play it on the Series X, which would be the reason to adopt the console at launch.

The other big one that's basically unofficially confirmed is Fable 4. Which sort of resets the Fable Universe in a sense. I'm sure they have more that we haven't seen yet. Hellblade isn't my cup of tea, but it's a game!

Based on information from friends in the tech industry I have been looking forward to the PS5 for the graphics. At this point I realize computer graphics are just a step ahead but it's the hardware that you have to invest in more. And it's long been theorized that the console generation where PS7 fits into or possible PS6 depending on how PS5 is maintained will be the point at which we have indistinguishable life-like graphics. I know we've heard people back in 2010 predicting 10-15 years or whatever but I never got that information from people who were way ahead of the curve. Augmented reality is only now going to develop in the 2020s for example.

But anyway, exciting times. I've gotten back more into gaming because of my retirement and the kids growing up (although still not old enough for the really good games lol).

On 8/23/2019 at 5:07 PM, BayRaider said:

Ill bump this back up...

I really think this might be co-released with GTA 6. And I just barely started playing GTA 5 (I know... i live under a rock!) amazing game. GTA 6 may be the most fun and realistic game of all time. Can’t wait for it. 

I have always bought every PlayStation Console almost two years after release. Except PS1 was like six months after. I really think I might cop a PS5 on launch day. 

I’ve been with Sony since 1996 and just eight years old. Was my second console after Sega Genesis (loved that machine). 

I bought PS1 I believe 3 or 4 years after it came out with Crash Bandicoot Warped. I know I got a PS2 myself many years after it debut. I just played on my friends' consoles. PS3 I never purchased, I simply just got one from a friend when he was done with it and he had 3 at one point (competitive gamer). I finally got a PS4 early last year. But I'll probably get a PS5 a year after it comes out around Christmas time.

On 4/25/2019 at 6:03 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

400 movies....300+ of which you probably watched once or twice and will never watch again.

I'm not knocking you for preferring physical media, mind you, but let's be honest...most of them are just decorations at this point.

I probably have over 1,200 different movies on some form of physical media (I have 2 working VHS players, 4 DVD and 4 BluRay compatible). Although I may not watch about half of those for a year or more at a time, I do watch a lot of movies and I lend many out and overall I will probably watch 100-200 in a given year (4-6 movies in a day isn't unusual for me on some days). But even if you were right, the streaming services are only going to get worse in terms of available libraries so if you really want to watch certain movies you have to get another subscription. And good consistent internet connection is not a guarantee for many on this continent, I myself live remote.

On 10/9/2019 at 7:53 PM, Lions017 said:

Statistically it's absolutely true - somewhere around a third of all homes have a 4K TV according the numbers that I've been able to find. 

The question is the quality in 4K. For a long time there was a slew of cheap HDTVs on the market that would break within 2 years and/or not have the vibrant resolution as other HDTVs. And I mean it was the brand you were buying. Costco seems to be one of the better places to get a 4k tv at a reasonable market price but that's still $900 or so after taxes (probably around $650 USD).

• Like 2

I hope people don't fall for the "Mid-Gen refresh" trap again. Especially since games will always be optimized for the base model while you're paying another $400 for some upscaled graphics and minimal response times.  I also don't believe Sony will be releasing a "PRO" version of the PS5 this time around honestly. They'll most definitely do the slim versions as the hardware gets cheaper to produce like normal, but I can't see them bringing another pro. I'd be very, very surprised. I can't wait to see the final specs for both the PS5 and Series X. Just hoping Sony has heard my prayer and release another Socom game!