Playstation 5

showtime

What’s more exciting, the leaker said Sony will hold a PS5 event on February 5th in New York, at which point PS5 preorders will kick-off. None of that can be confirmed for the moment, but Sony just made a move that signals a standalone PlayStation press conference is coming soon.

^That's the current rumor.

Maybe it's just me, but over the past 3-4 years Microsoft has been more ahead of the curve.

* Cross plat/cross play has been very important to Microsoft.  Sony fought this for so long and just recently started to give in.

* Microsoft realized they'd make a hell of a lot more money and profits if they make their games playable on devices that are non-Xbox devices.  Sony is literally just realizing this right now with the news that Horizon: Zero Dawn will be coming to PC later this year.

Sony still has a huge advantage because their exclusive titles are blockbuster, but Microsoft is probably a better company overall and more pro-consumer/cutting edge.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Maybe it's just me, but over the past 3-4 years Microsoft has been more ahead of the curve.

* Cross plat/cross play has been very important to Microsoft.  Sony fought this for so long and just recently started to give in.

* Microsoft realized they'd make a hell of a lot more money and profits if they make their games playable on devices that are non-Xbox devices.  Sony is literally just realizing this right now with the news that Horizon: Zero Dawn will be coming to PC later this year.

Sony still has a huge advantage because their exclusive titles are blockbuster, but Microsoft is probably a better company overall and more pro-consumer/cutting edge.

I'm fully expecting microsoft to pull a microsoft, maybe not as bad as 2013 but their early stuff (Xbox being named Xbox, no exclusives which is a plus for consumers but not for the brand)  makes me think they're one wrong decision from falling off the wagon.

But I agree recentley they've been pretty solid, gamepass, FINALLY BRINGING HALO TO PC, xcloud looks decent and the backwards compatibility all look like nice wins for them. 

Edited by SwoleXmad

Just now, SwoleXmad said:

I'm fully expecting microsoft to pull a microsoft, maybe not as bad as 2013 but their early stuff (Xbox being named Xbox, no exclusives which is a plus for consumers but not for the brand)  makes me think they're one wrong decision from falling off the wagon.

But I agree recentley they've been pretty solid, gamepass, FINALLY BRINGING HALO TO PC, xcloud looks decent and the backwards compatibility all look like nice wins for them. 

There's no way the pull another "Microsoft" with Phil Spencer at the helm.  Spencer has been a Godsend for them.  Granted, they still need to hit on some of these exclusives.  Hellblade, Fable 4, Halo Infinite and whatever else they have.

But yea, like you said the Gamepass, moving their exclusives to PC and other stuff looks good.

• Like 1

One interesting thing I read is that there might be console specific exclusives at launch - meaning games made specifically for PS5 that are not playable on the PS4.  That's interesting because that seems to be the opposite of Microsoft's approach, which is to have all of their games playable on the Xbox Series X and Xbox One.  I think I like Sony's approach better, if all this is true.

• Like 1

Never got a console at release, debating getting the PS5. 

PS1, 6 months later. 

PS2, 2 years later. 

PS3, 2 years later.

PS4, 1 year later. 

I may wait one year, we’ll see. Usually the game selection the first year is poor and opening day consoles end up having hardware bugs. 

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Never got a console at release, debating getting the PS5. 

PS1, 6 months later. 

PS2, 2 years later. 

PS3, 2 years later.

PS4, 1 year later. 

I may wait one year, we’ll see. Usually the game selection the first year is poor and opening day consoles end up having hardware bugs. 

I'm not worried about hardware issues and all that at launch like most people are.  My biggest concern is two things: 

1.  There won't really be any games that can actually full take advantage of the PS5's hardware at launch.  Sure games like Cyberpunk, Madden, 2K, etc will probably be playable on the PS5 at launch, but will they have the extremely high resolution and FPS they're capable of?  Or will they just be slightly upscaled ports of PS4 games. 

2.  There's a chance that these consoles will probably split the community (like all new consoles do).  So for example, if you bought NBA 2K21 on PS4 and I had NBA 2K21 on the PS5, we won't be able to play together.  This sucks if you have friends who aren't upgrading at launch like you would possibly be doing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, showtime said:

I'm not worried about hardware issues and all that at launch like most people are.  My biggest concern is two things: 

1.  There won't really be any games that can actually full take advantage of the PS5's hardware at launch.  Sure games like Cyberpunk, Madden, 2K, etc will probably be playable on the PS5 at launch, but will they have the extremely high resolution and FPS they're capable of?  Or will they just be slightly upscaled ports of PS4 games. 

2.  There's a chance that these consoles will probably split the community (like all new consoles do).  So for example, if you bought NBA 2K21 on PS4 and I had NBA 2K21 on the PS5, we won't be able to play together.  This sucks if you have friends who aren't upgrading at launch like you would possibly be doing.

Solid on both points. Especially point 2. If you game with friends you may wanna wait a year. Getting a console at launch is maybe 10% of the gaming population. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, showtime said:

Pretty sure Sony has already stated that online crossplay between the PS4 and PS5 is happening... Just how many games that will work for however idk.

Edited by rob_shadows

As there's never been an A+ title that's been new-console exclusive IIRC (and it would be business suicide to do that for an A+ title), it makes sense to wait on the PS5.    I mean, we saw this go down with Last of Us on PS3 & PS4, and BOTW on Wii U and Switch (LoU bad example because it was actually released before PS4 IIRC, too, but you get the idea).   Until something like that happens, it's always a smart move to wait a while.

Edited by Broncofan

9 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Pretty sure Sony has already stated that online crossplay between the PS4 and PS5 is happening... Just how many games that will work for however idk.

Can you show me a article where that's been confirmed?  I find that really interesting because that's never been the case in previous gens.  I'm not sure if Sony or Microsoft even have anything to do with that.  It might be different servers, etc for different consoles.

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

As there's never been an A+ title that's been new-console exclusive IIRC (and it would be business suicide to do that for an A+ title), it makes sense to wait on the PS5.    I mean, we saw this go down with Last of Us on PS3 & PS4, and BOTW on Wii U and Switch (LoU bad example because it was actually released before PS4 IIRC, too, but you get the idea).   Until something like that happens, it's always a smart move to wait a while.

What about Mario64 or Halo on Xbox?

11 minutes ago, jyod21 said:

What about Mario64 or Halo on Xbox?

I was talking about upgrade from 1 platform to the next gen - those are great examples, but Halo was on Ver1 for an entirely new platform with XBox.   N64 was an entire leap, too - and  with Nintendo, exclusive 1st-party titles are the only way they can get ppl to come over, for the most part.    But even with BOTW, Nintendo didn't make it Switch-exclusive.  The model has really changed since those days.   And with Sony, there's no such property for PS5 that won't be there for PS4 release as well (just like how BOTW went both Wii U and Switch compatible).   It really doesn't give much incentive to be a Day 1 purchaser, unless you have to be one of the guys in the lead.   Not from a gameplay/entertainment perspective.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, showtime said:

Can you show me a article where that's been confirmed?  I find that really interesting because that's never been the case in previous gens.  I'm not sure if Sony or Microsoft even have anything to do with that.  It might be different servers, etc for different consoles.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamesradar.com/amp/ps5-cross-gen-play-confirmed/