Playstation 5

showtime

15 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

The whole SSD jump is great, games can now be designed with SSD hardware in mind, meaning a total shift in game design..... until you remember that for the first 3-4 years of the PS5's life cycle, games will also release on the PS4. That realization was a total buzzkill for me. It will be a while before we're able to see games be created fully utilizing the SSD imo

Yep, I think next gen isn’t really going to start kicking in until 2023 universally. But we’ll see some of that bleed over these first two years with deva going for optimization on the new systems or downgrades for the old systems. I think of stuff like Shadow of Mordor at the start of this gen, you could play the game on 360/PS3...but the core mechanic that really made that game wasn’t truly there in the nemesis system. I think some devs will push harder like Monolith did and go beyond a simple  uprezed port. Think the Next Gen Cyberpunk version will come with more life injected into the world. The fact that they can have these totally running cities and people always going and you can interact in an instant will be huge for open world.

47 minutes ago, Kiltman said:
1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

The whole SSD jump is great, games can now be designed with SSD hardware in mind, meaning a total shift in game design..... until you remember that for the first 3-4 years of the PS5's life cycle, games will also release on the PS4. That realization was a total buzzkill for me. It will be a while before we're able to see games be created fully utilizing the SSD imo

Yep, I think next gen isn’t really going to start kicking in until 2023 universally. But we’ll see some of that bleed over these first two years with deva going for optimization on the new systems or downgrades for the old systems. I think of stuff like Shadow of Mordor at the start of this gen, you could play the game on 360/PS3...but the core mechanic that really made that game wasn’t truly there in the nemesis system. I think some devs will push harder like Monolith did and go beyond a simple  uprezed port. Think the Next Gen Cyberpunk version will come with more life injected into the world. The fact that they can have these totally running cities and people always going and you can interact in an instant will be huge for open world.

It definitely makes me wish they held off Cyberpunk, but I will take solace knowing they probably build the 2nd one from the ground up on SSD optimization 

On 5/15/2020 at 12:45 PM, JBURGE said:

It definitely makes me wish they held off Cyberpunk, but I will take solace knowing they probably build the 2nd one from the ground up on SSD optimization 

That will be like a decade from now considering they already said they are doing another Witcher game after cyberpunk

• Like 2

On 4/16/2020 at 6:11 PM, showtime said:

$549 in the U.S. is over $600 with taxes and you still wouldn't have any games yet or other accessories.  I'm going to go ahead and probably pass on that.  I have a gaming computer already and it doesn't seem like there's any killer games launching with the PS5 outside of GodFall, which I still need to see more of and is also going to be a PC game from what I've been reading.

So sell your ps4 and get the ps5 $100 off.

59 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

GameStop usually does but who knows if GameStop will when still be going this winter

Gamestop has enough cash to operate for the next 2 years.

The problem is they're losing money in a dying industry. 

I've bought every version of the PS (after living on the NES/SNES, and a parent who got the Wii & Wii U for the kids) - but never at launch.  It's always about the games that ppl NEED to play.   I don't really see PS5 as any different - and frankly, if you have PS4 releases at the same time, the jump in quality is unlikely going to be worth it (I squeezed out BOTW on the Wii U, as my kids are old enough, they don't use it anymore, so didn't have to get the Switch - and while I know it looks amazing on the Switch, it was totally fine playing it on the Wii U).

Once there's a PS5 exclusive that I really need to play, or my PS4 starts packing it in, though - I'll be there.   Until someone shows that the A+ titles are going to another platform, it's still PS at the top of the heap for the must-have console.     The cross-platform gaming differences aren't enough to really force the issue.   As long as the PS is the place that gets games like FF7 Extreme, Last of Us 2, etc. - for 1+ year exclusive PS-only status (or longer), yeah, they'll keep getting my $. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I've bought every version of the PS (after living on the NES/SNES, and a parent who got the Wii & Wii U for the kids) - but never at launch.  It's always about the games that ppl NEED to play.   I don't really see PS5 as any different - and frankly, if you have PS4 releases at the same time, the jump in quality is unlikely going to be worth it (I squeezed out BOTW on the Wii U, as my kids are old enough, they don't use it anymore, so didn't have to get the Switch - and while I know it looks amazing on the Switch, it was totally fine playing it on the Wii U).

Once there's a PS5 exclusive that I really need to play, or my PS4 starts packing it in, though - I'll be there.   Until someone shows that the A+ titles are going to another platform, it's still PS at the top of the heap for the must-have console.     The cross-platform gaming differences aren't enough to really force the issue.   As long as the PS is the place that gets games like FF7 Extreme, Last of Us 2, etc. - for 1+ year exclusive PS-only status (or longer), yeah, they'll keep getting my $. 

I agree with what you're saying and you're correct on a lot of points; however, the main difference this gen is that Sony is not releasing exclusives on both systems.  In the past when a new console came out, new exclusives would appear on the brand new console and still would be made for the older console.  This would happen for at least a year or two.  Sony has already stated that they're not doing that this time around.  So for example, Godfall, will not be on the PS4 this year when it launches.  It's only going to be on the PS5 (and PC).

Microsoft is not taking that approach, so Halo Infinite will be on both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X this year.

Just wanted to point out a difference in philosophies this time around because the way Xbox is currently doing this exclusive titles was the standard for Sony as well in the past, but not anymore.

8 hours ago, showtime said:

I agree with what you're saying and you're correct on a lot of points; however, the main difference this gen is that Sony is not releasing exclusives on both systems.  In the past when a new console came out, new exclusives would appear on the brand new console and still would be made for the older console.  This would happen for at least a year or two.  Sony has already stated that they're not doing that this time around.  So for example, Godfall, will not be on the PS4 this year when it launches.  It's only going to be on the PS5 (and PC).

Microsoft is not taking that approach, so Halo Infinite will be on both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X this year.

Just wanted to point out a difference in philosophies this time around because the way Xbox is currently doing this exclusive titles was the standard for Sony as well in the past, but not anymore.

Yeah, I heard that some games were only going to be PS5-only but that's part of my point - until there's a must-have exclusive - ppl are going to wait.   If Godfall is that game, Sony wins early.    Until they make that must-have exclusive, though - most gamers will stay away.   Once they have that must-have game, though - the fanbase will follow along.    It's just rarely at launch time.

17 hours ago, showtime said:

See I think Sony kinda is going to do this for year 1, just in a worse less obvious way. I think TLOU 2 and Ghosts will be getting PS5 upgrades and that will be a lot of their year 1 first party offering. Contrasted to Xbox which will be making downgraded last gen versions. 

Just with where Sony’s studios are at, there won’t be much more outside 3rd party exclusives like a Godfall in the 2 year window. Which it seems like both companies are going with the 3rd party buys to be their next gen exclusives. Xbox has at least Medium and Scorn so far...+ a bunch of other things as timed exclusives from that showcase.

Though yeah the Horizon Zero Dawn sequel will only be on next gen. But by the time Spider-Man 2, God of War pt2, and any other games come out it’ll be past this period where Xbox is doing cross gen for 1st party. I’m hoping if Hellblade 2 is coming Q4 2021, that that’s the deviation point and the first first party Series X exclusive title. Because if they are pushing the visual fidelity as much as they showed, I don’t see how that can be cross gen.

But we’ll see, as pro consumer as it is to not force you to go out and get one...I wish MS at the very least said they were Xbox One X and Series X exclusives. Don’t want them to be held back by the launch Xbox Ones. I want to see what the differences are. Because sometimes when companies do this, the last gen version is really a shell of the game. Modes, big features, etc get taken out. But if it made them compromise and cut stuff from the series X version, it’s a mistake.

On 5/18/2020 at 2:36 PM, showtime said:

First off, where did you get this info?

Secondly, there is NO WAY Sony is going to release their major exclusives on PC simultaneously with PS5.   That would be handing WAY too much power to Microsoft.     Maybe some of the lesser exclusives and sports titles like "The Show", but when it comes to games like God of War, Horizon, etc....there is no chance PC gets it at the same time.   Maybe 2 or 3 years down the road.