Playstation 5

showtime

15 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

I imagine their solution to the cooling issues is the reason the PS5 is so massive in size

They already confirmed this. They said they spent a lot of money researching a more efficient way to cool the fans (plural fans) and that plus the venting of the console are the reason for the size. Also cause the ps5 has a massive pp 

5 minutes ago, Tyty said:

They already confirmed this. They said they spent a lot of money researching a more efficient way to cool the fans (plural fans) and that plus the venting of the console are the reason for the size. Also cause the ps5 has a massive pp 

Yeah it has a much bigger power profile this time around and will generate a lot of heat. 

We finally got a PS4 last year because the Spider-Man game (big hit), MLB The Show (big let down), and Fortnite finally going cross-platform.  There will have to be a huge, industry changing game for us to even consider a PS5 in the next 3-4 years.  Much more likely if we do get a new gen console it is the X-Box Series X.

As my kids get older and get their own TV's and start contributing towards gaming instead of just relying on gifts, we now have (all functioning) a NES, N64, PS2, Wii, WiiU, Switch, X-Bow One, X-Box One S, PS4, and a gaming PC in our house.  Now, I rarely ever get to game, but the inner kid me is so pumped at the setup my boys get.  Too bad i'm not sure what happened to my old Sega Genesis, I could go for some NHL 94.

And yes, they do have lives outside of video games (sports, band, school, friends, playing outside, etc, etc, etc, yadda yadda yadda).

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 6:55 PM, elevators_rule said:

I imagine their solution to the cooling issues is the reason the PS5 is so massive in size. I guess the only other question mark then becomes how they'll handle their variable frequency for the CPU. If they push it as aggressively as they've said (keeping it close to max speed in 95% of situations) then that might still produce heating issues and require the fan to speed up/become loud. On the other hand, if they throttle the speed of the CPU to avoid having to ramp up the fan, then the system doesn't reach it's max performance output. Hopefully the size of the PS5 is big enough to simply be able to do both (max CPU most of the time without the fan RPM matching it), but it's actually somewhat unclear. Based on last generation you'd assume they know how important this is to consumers, but there are also rumors that this wasn't the target CPU speed for Sony and they bumped it up to match what Microsoft is doing. Again, this could easily lead to the scenario of the fan kicking on more often than originally planned or at higher speeds, making more sound.

In any case, I'd be surprised if it was anywhere as loud as the PS4. I think Sony will do a good job with it.

I'm hopeful that they will. I can also believe the rumors that this wasn't their target speeds. Just hope it doesn't bite them in the cheeks. I also wanna see what that memory controller will be like in a breakdown from Gamers Nexus or Digital Foundry when it launches. Tech seems pretty spiffy. Still not a launch buy for me at this point, however. November is going to be real interesting.

13 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Just saw they plan to release the new Horizon game next year. I'll have to pick one of these up sooner if that's the case. Happy to see the price points are lower than initially rumored

The prices are all still rumours at this point. I get the first Horizon some time next week and will play it, I have never really been interested but fell I owe it a shot. 

• Like 1

As long as cross platform (playing PS5 games with someone on PS4) exists, I will probably get a PS5 sooner rather than later while I still have a larger disposable income. I am hesitant to get a launch platform, so I still haven't decided if I'll get one at launch or not... I guess a lot will depend too on what the upgrade programs are (Madden 21 will be free upgrade from PS4 to 5). 

Edited by JBURGE

58 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

The prices are all still rumours at this point. I get the first Horizon some time next week and will play it, I have never really been interested but fell I owe it a shot. 

Hope you like it. Instantly became a top 5 for me after I played it. Don't really think I had one gripe and got 85+ hours of playing time on it. Will be interested in what you think

6 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Hope you like it. Instantly became a top 5 for me after I played it. Don't really think I had one gripe and got 85+ hours of playing time on it. Will be interested in what you think

O.o

Not sure what could even challenge my top 5 at this point

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

O.o

Not sure what could even challenge my top 5 at this point

To elaborate, I claimed every trophy except two lol. I'm going to 100% it on my next playthrough.

I thought my top 5 were set then I played this and I'm not sure what to think lol. I know this and FF III/VI would be in there. Probably The Last of Us as well. Would have to think about the rest though. GoldenEye..... Mario 3. 

That's what I got off the top of my head lol. From what I'm seeing though, I really need to get GTA5. Only played the original and hot damn that was a fun one.

Edit: Put 4 more minutes of thought into it and Tony Hawk 1, A Link to the Past.... Damn this is tough

Edited by JTagg7754
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

To elaborate, I claimed every trophy except two lol. I'm going to 100% it on my next playthrough.

I thought my top 5 were set then I played this and I'm not sure what to think lol. I know this and FF III/VI would be in there. Probably The Last of Us as well. Would have to think about the rest though. GoldenEye..... Mario 3. 

That's what I got off the top of my head lol. From what I'm seeing though, I really need to get GTA5. Only played the original and hot damn that was a fun one.

Edit: Put 4 more minutes of thought into it and Tony Hawk 1, A Link to the Past.... Damn this is tough

BOTW
Odyssey
Fallout 3
TLOU1
Cod4

HM: Ocarina, GTA5, Pokemon Gold, Borderlands 2... lots more I'm sure