Playstation 5

showtime

4 hours ago, showtime said:

No they won't. They can't rival top end PC's right now, let alone 2-5 years from now.

That's what I always thought. When the next generation consoles come out, aren't they already using technology that might be a generation behind?

7 hours ago, showtime said:

No they won't. They can't rival top end PC's right now, let alone 2-5 years from now.

This^^^

The consoles are very good spec-wise, and much better than I was speculating a year or so ago, but they match the previous gen,  Nvidia 20 series GPUs. Nvidias new 30 series GPUs (and AMDs RDNA2 GPUs) blow them out of the water. The Xbox, which is about 20% more capable in terms of TFLOPs than the PS5, is about equivalent to a 2080 IIRC. The new flagship 3080 model is already about 2x as capable as the 2080 or 2x as capable as the new Xbox. 2-5 years from now that number will be significantly bigger. While the Xbox and PS5 will be playable at good framerate/resolution (probably 1440p-120 or 4k-60) there is no chance they're able to play at the same graphical settings as PC. To simplify it: you might get both consoles on medium-high settings while PC will be running at Very High-Ultra.

This isn't me trying to say bad things about the new consoles, they're significantly better than the PS4/X1 at launch and very good overall, but just to emphasize that PC is still always better if money is not an issue.

Edited by elevators_rule
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

That's what I always thought. When the next generation consoles come out, aren't they already using technology that might be a generation behind?

It depends, but the short answer is yes, typically. Last generation, the X1 and PS4 were actually pretty bad compared to PC. They came out of the gates a full generation behind in terms of hardware, which is a big reason we saw a mid generation update with the One X and PS4 Pro. This gen, they've actually done a pretty great job. The RDNA2 GPU architecture inside both the PS5 and Series X doesn't even release for a few more weeks for PC players- it'll make its world debut with the new consoles. With that being said, of course, it's not the top of the line GPU that PC players will be able to purchase, as that just wouldn't be economically feasible to release in a console that is suppose to retail at $399-$499. And that is always going to be the difference between console and PC: Consoles will always target a lower price point and thus can never compete with the higher-end, higher priced PC models. That's not a bad thing, but just proves that objectively PCs will always be objectively better than consoles in terms of performance.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

This^^^

The consoles are very good spec-wise, and much better than I was speculating a year or so ago, but they match the previous gen,  Nvidia 20 series GPUs. Nvidias new 30 series GPUs (and AMDs RDNA2 GPUs) blow them out of the water. The Xbox, which is about 20% more capable in terms of TFLOPs than the PS5, is about equivalent to a 2080 IIRC. The new flagship 3080 model is already about 2x as capable as the 2080 or 2x as capable as the new Xbox. 2-5 years from now that number will be significantly bigger. While the Xbox and PS5 will be playable at good framerate/resolution (probably 1440p-120 or 4k-60) there is no chance they're able to play at the same graphical settings as PC. To simplify it: you might get both consoles on medium-high settings while PC will be running at Very High-Ultra.

This isn't me trying to say bad things about the new consoles, they're significantly better than the PS4/X1 at launch and very good overall, but just to emphasize that PC is still always better if money is not an issue.

Yeah, like.... The 30xx series cards blow anything consoles can do out of the water and those card are out RIGHT NOW.  I don't get why console players think the PS5 is as powerful as a top end gaming PC.  The PS5 is a powerful machine, but it's just nowhere near the same as a top end PC lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

At the end of the day, it is sort of silly to play a Bethesda game on a console... too many bugs, and half the point of playing is the mods.

Meh, they will have mods on the PS5 so fine with me. PS5 will probably out-perform the PC I got earlier this year so I will play on that

At least they announced it beforehand, given they probably don't want to be blamed for a bunch of people crowding outside anywhere waiting for a PS5.  Makes sense on their part.

Bummed out though.  It's looking like I definitely won't have my hands on a PS5 for a week or so.  No biggie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

As in retailers won't be carrying (or selling rather) non preorder consoles on launch day?

There won't be any non-preorder consoles at launch.

It's also been announced that the PS5 won't support native 1440p, which is mind boggling to me. So it's either native 1080p, or native 4k. That makes me think a lot of the more demanding games will be forced to run at 4k, 30FPS or even 1080p with higher framerate. Meanwhile, the performance sweet spot of 1440p, 120FPS won't be an option on the PS5 as of right now. Now, you would think it would be something they could add if the demand was high enough, but we didn't see that at all with the PS4 Pro. Just a very strange decision by Sony here. I hope they make this right shortly after launch.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

There won't be any non-preorder consoles at launch.

It's also been announced that the PS5 won't support native 1440p, which is mind boggling to me. So it's either native 1080p, or native 4k. That makes me think a lot of the more demanding games will be forced to run at 4k, 30FPS or even 1080p with higher framerate. Meanwhile, the performance sweet spot of 1440p, 120FPS won't be an option on the PS5 as of right now. Now, you would think it would be something they could add if the demand was high enough, but we didn't see that at all with the PS4 Pro. Just a very strange decision by Sony here. I hope they make this right shortly after launch.

The no 1440p is a big yikes, but at the same time means I don't have to get 1440p monitors. I was going to consider upgrading PC next year and going to 1440p setup but now there's no point. 

There will be non-preorder consoles at launch, however they will be available through online only. I am sure they will be very limited tho 

On 11/1/2020 at 2:02 PM, showtime said:

With that said, if anyone is looking to get a PS5 or Xbox One, there are a ton of rumors and some evidence that point to Target and other sites having them for sale on launch day, but online only.  Costco will more than likely have some at launch as well.  Probably should call all your stores the week or release to see if you're allowed to go midnight or have to order online.

I posted this days ago. I keep my ear to the streets.

Not just Walmart, but check tons of other retailers as well.

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

1 hour ago, showtime said:

I posted this days ago. I keep my ear to the streets.

Not just Walmart, but check tons of other retailers as well.

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Stg I'm about to be refreshing my Internet every 30 seconds.  

I've never bought a new console at launch before.  Was too young to get my own 360/PS3 (I remember getting the backwards compatible fat PS3 for Christmas... best day ever).  None of my friends got the PS4 so I didn't until way later, Xbox One had no games so didn't care for it, and I was still in HS.  So I'm really tryna jump in early this year.