Playstation 5

showtime

8 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Let’s get some F5s in the chat, boys.

Given my experience since November, I won’t hold my breath getting one. Gonna get my computer and second monitor ready for tabs for all of the retailers.

I wish you luck. Do we know what time they are opening orders? I would put a priority on Best Buy from my experience and lowest priority on Gamestop (in Canada, but I doubt there is much of a difference)

Edited by JBURGE

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

I wish you luck. Do we know what time they are opening orders? I would put a priority on Best Buy from my experience and lowest priority on Gamestop (in Canada, but I doubt there is much of a difference)

No clue, besides Walmart.

I’ll have that, target and bestbuy open. Gotta text my dad for his Costco login just in case they are in stock again too. I don’t want to support or wait on Amazon if I don’t have to.

19 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I'm going to be checking Costco, Best Buy, Target, and Walmart as a last resort.

It is a great move to not have any in-store launch sales. So much easier and safer to be online.

I just really hope they dont all get taken by scalpers, but I have to imagine they will be. Good luck

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

I just really hope they dont all get taken by scalpers, but I have to imagine they will be. Good luck

Hoping the one per customer rule and rollouts throughout the day help. But yeah this is just a big bat signal for them.
Wish they could do this better.

Here's a tweet showcasing the different load times of the Series X vs PS5:

Really interesting to me. They're about the same at cold boot, but Xbox has a much faster speed at standby where we see 14 seconds for the PS5 vs 4 seconds for the Xbox. This is completely due to design choices, I'd assume. The Xbox chooses to boot you up a lot faster while the PlayStation probably saves a bit of power being in a "more off" state.

What's also really interesting, though, is when you compare games:

The Xbox loads into Destiny 2 a full 10 seconds quicker in both scenarios. This is, of course, without a patch of any kind. We know that, on paper, the Sony SSD is more capable than that of the Xbox. So how is the Xbox loading quicker?

My only idea is that the Xbox is utilizing it's higher memory bandwidth (448GB/s vs 560GB/s) and faster CPU clock speed (3.5GHz vs 3.8GHz) to run these games better natively. This means that, most likely, all backwards compat games (PS4/One games) will run/load faster on the Xbox than the PlayStation.

While the PlayStation has a much faster SSD, this isn't something that is supported natively by current games. Both the Xbox and PlayStation SSDs being bottle necked by the current legacy way that these games interface with the storage device. It won't be until games are designed to utilize these super fast SSDs using DirectStorage (Or Sonys equivalent nomenclature) will we see them actually shine at their best. At that point, I imagine Sony will take the lead when it comes to load times.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

30+ seconds from orbit to EDZ?? That is horrendous. I was expecting next-gen to be <5 seconds.

I really hope that is not indicative of new games coming out.

All games will have long loading screens right now because the SSD can't be utilized. The games are not developed to take advantage of them by default. You could effectively swap out the SSDs with HDDs and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Studios can fix this with patches (very doubtful for most games/studios), but more realistically, we won't see games take advantage of them until they are developed from the ground up with them in mind.

The first games that come to mind with potential are the new Spider-man and Demon Souls.

4 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

30+ seconds from orbit to EDZ?? That is horrendous. I was expecting next-gen to be <5 seconds.

I really hope that is not indicative of new games coming out.

Not sure if serious. I legit couldnt care less about boot up times

Edited by JBURGE