Playstation 5

showtime

10 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

30+ seconds from orbit to EDZ?? That is horrendous. I was expecting next-gen to be <5 seconds.

I really hope that is not indicative of new games coming out.

Destiny has always been miserably optimized in terms of load times. It's been **** since the start of Destiny 1. I think that's more of an issue with the game than the consoles. Early load times for Spider-Man and for a handful of last gen games on both consoles have been ridiculous.

19 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

Here's a tweet showcasing the different load times of the Series X vs PS5:

Really interesting to me. They're about the same at cold boot, but Xbox has a much faster speed at standby where we see 14 seconds for the PS5 vs 4 seconds for the Xbox. This is completely due to design choices, I'd assume. The Xbox chooses to boot you up a lot faster while the PlayStation probably saves a bit of power being in a "more off" state.

What's also really interesting, though, is when you compare games:

The Xbox loads into Destiny 2 a full 10 seconds quicker in both scenarios. This is, of course, without a patch of any kind. We know that, on paper, the Sony SSD is more capable than that of the Xbox. So how is the Xbox loading quicker?

My only idea is that the Xbox is utilizing it's higher memory bandwidth (448GB/s vs 560GB/s) and faster CPU clock speed (3.5GHz vs 3.8GHz) to run these games better natively. This means that, most likely, all backwards compat games (PS4/One games) will run/load faster on the Xbox than the PlayStation.

While the PlayStation has a much faster SSD, this isn't something that is supported natively by current games. Both the Xbox and PlayStation SSDs being bottle necked by the current legacy way that these games interface with the storage device. It won't be until games are designed to utilize these super fast SSDs using DirectStorage (Or Sonys equivalent nomenclature) will we see them actually shine at their best. At that point, I imagine Sony will take the lead when it comes to load times.

It was surprising to see all of that. Could just be all the work Xbox has put into firmware, emulation and all of the backward compatibility features. There is a bunch of under the hood software solutions I know they’ve developed. It will always be the best place to play legacy titles, because Xbox supports it. But the usefulness of that starts to trail off after a couple years into more of a nice thing to have rather than something a ton of people are taking advantage of every day on the system.

Im sure there will be a difference with current gen, stuff that’s developed for PS5 should take advantage of the drive properly. Even if they are about equal it’s just a great situation for the industry to be in. Everyone wins.

Has there been anything on a quick resume like feature on PS5? So far that’s the coolest use of the ssds I’ve seen.

13 hours ago, Heimdallr said:
14 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Not sure if serious. I legit couldnt care less about boot up times

That is loading time between levels... that is so slow

That is kinda poop. I haven't played Destiny 2. Maybe 3 will be better?

Not everyone wants a PS5 the same amount. Like on the day pre-orders opened, I was able to get one. I got one from Target as well, but I canceled that one.  I didn't use any bots and didn't even have the websites constantly refreshing.  It was tough to get, but I got it.  I guarantee I can get another one on launch day.

There are a bunch of people who want a PS5, but they're not willing to put the time and effort to get one.  As soon as a site crashes or they have trouble checking out, a lot of people will give up.

51 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

That is kinda poop. I haven't played Destiny 2. Maybe 3 will be better?

They seemingly aren’t doing a 3rd one.

Beyond Light is the first of 3 expansions they have planned that sort of finish the destiny story as we know it. The Witch Queen is next fall, followed by Lightfall in 2022. 

I think they said they started making a 3rd one with Activision but scrapped it when they left. But you can totally see these 3 being pressed together to make Destiny 3 + the traditional big follow up expansion (like Taken King and Forsaken). Have the main game of Destiny 3 be the Pyramid ships being here, getting the 2 darkness subclasses and dealing with Savathûn. Then the big expansion would be the finale of the fight against The Veil/Pyramid Ships and getting the 3rd subclass.

2 hours ago, Kiltman said:

They seemingly aren’t doing a 3rd one.

Beyond Light is the first of 3 expansions they have planned that sort of finish the destiny story as we know it. The Witch Queen is next fall, followed by Lightfall in 2022. 

I think they said they started making a 3rd one with Activision but scrapped it when they left. But you can totally see these 3 being pressed together to make Destiny 3 + the traditional big follow up expansion (like Taken King and Forsaken). Have the main game of Destiny 3 be the Pyramid ships being here, getting the 2 darkness subclasses and dealing with Savathûn. Then the big expansion would be the finale of the fight against The Veil/Pyramid Ships and getting the 3rd subclass.

Since I didn't play Destiny 2, I don't understand what most of this means 😂

3 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Since I didn't play Destiny 2, I don't understand what most of this means 😂

I thought about it after the fact LOL.

Savathûn is Oryx’s (The Taken King) sister, she’s been like behind the scenes of a lot of stuff the last few years.

Pyramid ships were teased in Destiny 1 but are like finally here in Destiny 2.

destiny-2-pyramid-ships-shadowkeep.jpg

The Veil are potentially just a race much like the others that are in those ships. Hard to say at the moment. I barely play but do the bare minimum for the story.

We are getting Darkness subclasses starting this year. Stasis is the first, then probably like a decay one next fall (if you remember Thorn for D1, like that) and then there are a couple ways to go with the third in the last expansion. So there will be 3 light and 3 darkness. 

They are kinda doing a lot of “Grey Jedi” raque stuff. 

Got my dualsense in the mail today, heavier than both the dualshock 4 and the Xbox one controller but it feels good in the hands, excited to try it out when the console gets here... Can use it on steam but none of the features work it just shows up as a generic controller because there are no windows drivers.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

PS5's went live earlier today on Antonline. If you wanted it, you could have gotten it today.

That's what I mean. People who really want it will get it. People who don't want it as badly don't even know it went up today.

I guess. I google and look on twitter every day for leads. Never saw this one. Never even knew what antonline was. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, showtime said:

PS5's went live earlier today on Antonline. If you wanted it, you could have gotten it today.

That's what I mean. People who really want it will get it. People who don't want it as badly don't even know it went up today.

If the requirement for getting a PS5 is that you have to know every single time it is made available, then I don't see how you can say it won't be hard to get.  People are busy, even if they really want it they might not have the time to check all day 24/7.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, showtime said:

Drop a hint in here next time, BEFORE it actually happens.  I don't know where to look, but I'd love to score one in the next few weeks.  I've never heard of Antonline.  Help your brothers out here.