Playstation 5

showtime

2 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Luckily I have the luxury of getting up sooner than most on my own volition with my meds (Remeron and Adderall), but will that be enough to get one at 7AM on Black Friday morning or will I have to camp out? Sadly, this may be my only hope of getting one. Even more sadly, I think I know the answer.

But yeah, **** scalpers. **** em up their ******* *****.

I won’t pay for them from a scalper. The bits started with shoes, and now goes to card collecting as well.  Some folks during the pandemic were stalking the reps who stock Target and Walmart and buying all of their product at each place and selling for three times the value. The 19.99 boxes of Bowman Mega Box and Mosaic were being sold for over 60.00 at one point. And probably even higher. Target even put limits on the amount one person could buy and it still happens. 

so at this point I don’t even buy boxes anymore, and that includes the jumbo and hobby boxes that you get at the local card shop or directly from Topps or Panini. I will buy singles and that’s it. I’m not getting into this game where I’ve got to spend double or triple the price to rip a box. It’s crazy.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I won’t pay for them from a scalper. The bits started with shoes, and now goes to card collecting as well.  Some folks during the pandemic were stalking the reps who stock Target and Walmart and buying all of their product at each place and selling for three times the value. The 19.99 boxes of Bowman Mega Box and Mosaic were being sold for over 60.00 at one point. And probably even higher. Target even put limits on the amount one person could buy and it still happens. 

so at this point I don’t even buy boxes anymore, and that includes the jumbo and hobby boxes that you get at the local card shop or directly from Topps or Panini. I will buy singles and that’s it. I’m not getting into this game where I’ve got to spend double or triple the price to rip a box. It’s crazy.

And unfortunately, because retailers aren't stocking in-store and doing almost all their purchases online, you've got these ******* pricks buying up all the stock faster than anyone can make a purchase using bots and then sell them for three times their MSRP.

How is this shyt not illegal? We have laws against scalping tickets, why should this be any different? It's not "selling something you own", it's effectively denying customers a product via bots since most won't buy the ridiculously-overpriced scalped consoles and the ones that do still end up paying triple or more their MSRP. Either way, they're getting ****ed. And last I checked, copying someone else's work without monetary gain is still illegal.

Edited by KManX89

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

At least Xbox scalpers are not making much profit. I see them usually going for $700 on Facebook Marketplace. PS5’s go for about $950. 

eBay is like $1050 for Series X and $1300 for PS5. 

Either way it's gross. Anyone who buys from a scalper is just as bad IMO. It's literally directly supporting the practice. If nobody bought, scalpers wouldn't exist.

1 minute ago, elevators_rule said:

Either way it's gross. Anyone who buys from a scalper is just as bad IMO. It's literally directly supporting the practice. If nobody bought, scalpers wouldn't exist.

100%, it should be against the law. Especially the ones who do it multiple times.

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

100%, it should be against the law. Especially the ones who do it multiple times.

Why should it be against the law to double or triple your money? If people are goofy enough to buy it, I don't understand what's the problem. I feel the hate should be towards the consumer who don't have any patience and line the pockets of the scalper, etc. Saying it should be against the law just makes you sound super salty, in my opinion. I'm not fan of scalpers especially the ones who have bots that get them the systems, but if you stood in line to grab one (well, not in this case) or were able to manual get a few systems off the sites, then by all means... get your paper.

23 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Why should it be against the law to double or triple your money? If people are goofy enough to buy it, I don't understand what's the problem. I feel the hate should be towards the consumer who don't have any patience and line the pockets of the scalper, etc. Saying it should be against the law just makes you sound super salty, in my opinion. I'm not fan of scalpers especially the ones who have bots that get them the systems, but if you stood in line to grab one (well, not in this case) or were able to manual get a few systems off the sites, then by all means... get your paper.

Yes it should be ******* illegal. They're making it to where you literally can't get one unless you pay triple or more the MSRP, that's basically theft. We have laws against scalping tickets, why should this be treated any differently? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

While I agree with the logic of "if people are goofy enough to buy it", it should definitely be illegal.    Its complete exploitation.   They are not a licensed vendor.   They didnt make the product they are selling.    They paid for the product with the sole intention of exploiting the limited stock and demand for the product.   

Do I have sny sympathy for idiots who pay extreme amounts to get it?   Hell no....but this should still be extremely illegal.  If you think its just about being salty, then think about it from a different perspective....

Say Covid emptied all the store shelves and there was no food readily available.   Then you cross someone who has a HUGE STOCK of canned goods, and 0offers to sell you some soup...$30 per can, which they paid $2 for.   

Would you still feel the same way in that situation if you needed that product fir survival or feeding your family?

I know food is a necessity and PS5 is a luxury, but the its the same situation....someone exploiting a situation where there is limited stock for personal gain. 

There is a reason its illegal.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, 43M said:

While I agree with the logic of "if people are goofy enough to buy it", it should definitely be illegal.    Its complete exploitation.   They are not a licensed vendor.   They didnt make the product they are selling.    They paid for the product with the sole intention of exploiting the limited stock and demand for the product.   

Do I have sny sympathy for idiots who pay extreme amounts to get it?   Hell no....but this should still be extremely illegal.  If you think its just about being salty, then think about it from a different perspective....

Say Covid emptied all the store shelves and there was no food readily available.   Then you cross someone who has a HUGE STOCK of canned goods, and 0offers to sell you some soup...$30 per can, which they paid $2 for.   

I know food is a necessity and PS5 is a luxury, but the its the same situation....someone exploiting a situation where there is limited stock for personal gain. 

Not to mention avoid paying income taxes, which is also a crime.

Hell, ticket scalping is already illegal and it's scamming secondhand buyers out of a lot less money than console-scalping. Tell me again why this should be treated any differently?

Edited by KManX89
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

If you wanna sell one of each system, that's fine IMO. If you wanna scalp the systems you pre ordered that's fine. However, the people who make a business out of it, with 30+ of each, are scumbags IMO. That's what I'm talking about. It's almost like drug dealing.

12 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Yes it should be ******* illegal. They're making it to where you literally can't get one unless you pay triple or more the MSRP, that's basically theft. We have laws against scalping tickets, why should this be treated any differently? 

Fair argument, but I don't have as much a problem with it being consoles and tech.

7 hours ago, 43M said:

Would you still feel the same way in that situation if you needed that product fir survival or feeding your family?

I get where you're coming from, but its hard for me to take the analogy only because as you said, food v. luxury. But I do get it.

6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

If you wanna sell one of each system, that's fine IMO. If you wanna scalp the systems you pre ordered that's fine. However, the people who make a business out of it, with 30+ of each, are scumbags IMO. That's what I'm talking about. It's almost like drug dealing.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from with that standpoint. As I said, I agree the 30+ bot scalpers are trash, but even then, I personally still think its a stretch to make it illegal only because as I said above... people are goofy. 

With that said, I definitely now understand both sides of the argument a lot better. It's a sad situation we have to live with, but I don't see it getting any better any time soon.