Playstation 5

showtime

7 minutes ago, 43M said:

I get there are perks.   And if you can get one and want it....so be it.

I just dont see any of that making it a "must own" RIGHT NOW.   I want one eventually, but even if I had a chance right now, Id probably pass because I have a PS4 Pro and a good gaming computer that can still run almost every game out on good settings.

As you said, its personal preference.    Ive honestly never understood getting a new console immediately....but especially with the PS5/Series X.    Taking too long to really establish itself.

I’m curious when Sony makes the full switch. I guess maybe Spider-Man 2? But even that might not seam like it’s only possible on next gen unless they really make New York come alive with AI and weather or maybe even some destruction. Guess part of it is does God of War hit earlier in 2022 or is it the fall game?

As an XSX owner I’m glad Xbox is seemingly making the switch Summer 2022 with Redfall and then Starfield in the fall. Gives people a target to make the switch over for.

Im sure both would’ve made it it slightly sooner with the pandemic delaying development and console rollout. I’m curious just how significantly better both Halo and Horizon will be visually and performance wise on the new machines. If it’s bot that big people will probably just be able to wait til the fall next year.

• Like 1

I'm in a bit of a moral dilemma, guys. I've been checking out eBay listings for PS5s and I've seen some pretty "good" deals, at least by scalper standards. The other day, I saw a PS5 bundle with an extra controller + Rachet & Clank, Destruction All-Stars and Sackboy go for $870 and I've seen individual consoles sell in the $750 range. That's "only" $142 and $250 above MSRP, respectively, not too bad considering there's a**hole scalpers selling them for double or even triple their MSRP and people buying them up at these absolutely insane prices, but I've been pondering: at the end of the day, is it really worth it? Not only forking over hundreds of extra dollars, but contributing to and rewarding the scumbags for hoarding them off with bots?

It's not that I can't afford it, and believe me, I don't WANT to pay these a**holes and essentially get f*cked out of a few hundred dollars in the process, especially with the reports of UPS/Fed-Ex drivers stealing PS5s, so spare me the "DoN'T bUy FrOm ScAlPeRz!!!!" pitchforks. Believe me, I'm right there with you saying f*ck these clowns, but with the PS5 and XSX/S chip shortages and all next-gen stock drops being online only, it doesn't look like I'll be getting one at MSRP anytime soon if I were to play the waiting game unlike the Switch, which I was able to get in store a few months after launch with all the scalpers hoarding/marking up all the online stock. The chip shortages are primed to last into 2022 and I definitely don't see this going away before that, no, scratch that, I guar-damn-tee you it won't, which brings me to the crux of the problem:

to me, it's just not worth constantly refreshing the online retailer pages (Best Buy, Target, Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc.) for hours on end, hoping I'll get "lucky" enough to come across a live drop that'll sell out in minutes or before I can even add one to my cart, and I've been scouting the stock drop alert pages, too, not that they were much help to begin with since they only report "expected" drops and usually not even with specific times and/or dates. The way things are going, it's either I pay up or wait it out another year or more. I don't want to be "part of the problem", but I don't want to test my patience, either, it's already been stretched far enough as it is at this point (I've been told "don't pay scalpers, just wait a few months when they'll be readily available", well, we're now 8 months out, and here we STILL are, just as I suspected from the get-go).

Edited by KManX89

3 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

I'm in a bit of a moral dilemma, guys. I've been checking out eBay listings for PS5s and I've seen some pretty "good" deals, at least by scalper standards. The other day, I saw a PS5 bundle with an extra controller + Rachet & Clank, Destruction All-Stars and Sackboy go for $870 and I've seen individual consoles sell in the $750 range. That's "only" $132 and $250 above MSRP, respectively, not too bad considering there's a**hole scalpers selling them for double or even triple their MSRP and people buying them up at these absolutely insane prices, but I've been pondering: at the end of the day, is it really worth it? Not only forking over hundreds of extra dollars, but contributing to and rewarding the scumbags for hoarding them off with bots?

It's not that I can't afford it, and believe me, I don't WANT to pay these a**holes and essentially get f*cked out of a few hundred dollars in the process, especially with the reports of UPS drivers stealing PS5s, so spare me the "DoN'T bUy FrOm ScAlPeRz!!!!" pitchforks. Believe me, I'm right there with you saying f*ck these clowns, but with the PS5 and XSX/S chip shortages and all next-gen stock drops being online only, it doesn't look like I'll be getting one at MSRP anytime soon if I were to play the waiting game unlike the Switch, which I was able to get in store a few months after launch with all the scalpers hoarding/marking up all the online stock. The chip shortages are primed to last into 2022 and I definitely don't see this going away before that, no, scratch that, I guar-damn-tee you it won't, which brings me to the crux of the problem:

to me, it's just not worth constantly refreshing the online retailer pages (Best Buy, Target, Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc.) for hours on end, hoping I'll get "lucky" enough to come across a live drop that'll sell out in minutes or before I can even add one to my cart, and I've been scouting the stock drop alert pages, too, not that they were much help to begin with since they only report "expected" drops and usually not even with specific times and/or dates. The way things are going, it's either I pay up or wait it out another year or more. I don't want to be "part of the problem", but I don't want to test my patience, either, it's already been stretched far enough as it is at this point (I've been told "don't pay scalpers, just wait a few months when they'll be readily available", well, we're now 8 months out, and here we STILL are, just as I suspected from the get-go).

End of the day it’ll just continue until these companies get a better system in place, collectively everyone can kill the scalping industry but it’ll never happen completely. I myself have a no buying from scalpers policy, but it’s mainly because I don’t want the hassle and chance of scamming.

I’ll gladly take many hours of trying to get one on a drop over the social interaction. But obviously eBay takes a lot of that out.

I’d say you do you, if you want it badly enough now and don’t want to get like on Sony’s queue or get one of the other drops for the next couple months…go for it. It sounds like they nabbed one of the GameStop bundles the other day.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

End of the day it’ll just continue until these companies get a better system in place, collectively everyone can kill the scalping industry but it’ll never happen completely. I myself have a no buying from scalpers policy, but it’s mainly because I don’t want the hassle and chance of scamming.

I’ll gladly take many hours of trying to get one on a drop over the social interaction. But obviously eBay takes a lot of that out.

I’d say you do you, if you want it badly enough now and don’t want to get like on Sony’s queue or get one of the other drops for the next couple months…go for it. It sounds like they nabbed one of the GameStop bundles the other day.

Honestly, the only way to fix this is to flood the market with systems.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KManX89 said:

I'm in a bit of a moral dilemma, guys. I've been checking out eBay listings for PS5s and I've seen some pretty "good" deals, at least by scalper standards. The other day, I saw a PS5 bundle with an extra controller + Rachet & Clank, Destruction All-Stars and Sackboy go for $870 and I've seen individual consoles sell in the $750 range. That's "only" $142 and $250 above MSRP, respectively, not too bad considering there's a**hole scalpers selling them for double or even triple their MSRP and people buying them up at these absolutely insane prices, but I've been pondering: at the end of the day, is it really worth it? Not only forking over hundreds of extra dollars, but contributing to and rewarding the scumbags for hoarding them off with bots?

It's not that I can't afford it, and believe me, I don't WANT to pay these a**holes and essentially get f*cked out of a few hundred dollars in the process, especially with the reports of UPS/Fed-Ex drivers stealing PS5s, so spare me the "DoN'T bUy FrOm ScAlPeRz!!!!" pitchforks. Believe me, I'm right there with you saying f*ck these clowns, but with the PS5 and XSX/S chip shortages and all next-gen stock drops being online only, it doesn't look like I'll be getting one at MSRP anytime soon if I were to play the waiting game unlike the Switch, which I was able to get in store a few months after launch with all the scalpers hoarding/marking up all the online stock. The chip shortages are primed to last into 2022 and I definitely don't see this going away before that, no, scratch that, I guar-damn-tee you it won't, which brings me to the crux of the problem:

Ill never have a PS5 before I buy it from a scalper...unless I could "pay" them in person.

Im fine waiting another year....maybe even 2.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, KManX89 said:

If you don't feel like it's worth it to wait for a drop then buy from a scalper.

"The other day, I saw a PS5 bundle with an extra controller + Rachet & Clank, Destruction All-Stars and Sackboy go for $870."

^ If it was a disk console, that goes for $500 and Ratchet & Clank goes for $70. Sack Boy I saw yesterday for like $35. Destruction All-Stars is literally a free game. If you're okay with paying that much over retail for the console, then go for it.

As for the PS5 itself, it's def worth it. Unlike all other console gens, games are getting upgraded to run much better. Here are some examples: Borderlands 3 runs at 30 fps on PS4 at 1080p. Same game runs at 120 fps on PS5. Destiny 2 runs at 30 FPS at 1080p on PS4. Same game runs at 60 fps at 4k or 120 fps at 1080.

^ Console is worth the upgrade for that alone, imo. That's just two games, but there are so many cases of this it's insane. Then, if you factor in the PS5 games (there are a few and they're good) with more coming out this year, this is def a great console imo.

Here's an example of Miles Morales on PS4:

fHAAl4O.png

Here's an example of Miles Morales on PS5:

lDeyX5N.png

^ Game looks good on PS4, but look how blurry the signs are and the people cars below while he's swinging. Look how much more clear everything looks on PS5. Game also runs at double the FPS on PS5 at a higher resolution and has Ray Tracing.

• Like 1

My brother figured out the Sony Direct play for getting a PS5. It involves having a PS Plus sub and accepting deals/offers through email. I might have to ask him exactly what he did in case that’s not specific enough. 

They sent him an email telling him they were going to have some PS5’s available and he got into the queue and purchased his this last Friday which he’s expecting to receive on Wednesday. 

I got mine through Sony Direct a month ago but that was open to everyone. There should be another Sony Direct sale in another month whether open to the public or just to subscribers 

Fastest console to ever reach 10 million sales.

The PlayStation 5 sold an estimated 235,907 units to bring its lifetime sales to 10.01 million units. The Xbox Series X|S sold 116,412 units to bring their lifetime sales to 5.93 million units.

FWIW there have been 3 inventory drops in the last 2 months at walmart & EB (Canuck version of Gamestop), so if you follow the trackers on Twitter, I think those searching can get 1 sooner rather than later.

Edited by Broncofan

On 7/21/2021 at 11:57 PM, Heimdallr said:

I love my PS5, but I would NEVER buy from a scalper. There are so many things in life that require comprising your morals just to get by, but a gaming console doesn't need to be one. 

yessir