Playstation 5

showtime

1 hour ago, showtime said:

There's something about the PS5's hardware that's more exciting for game developers.  I don't quite know what it is because I think it starts to get really technical, but that SSD is blazing.  It's like double the speed of the Series X's, which is insane. 

Either way, I posted that because that's really good for Sony.  And I'm not just talking about first party games.  I mean, devs from third party companies are saying this as well.  For example, EA, Ubisoft, etc.

True, but third party games are essentially the same on every console.  This might just mean it will be more often optimized for the PS5.

Too soon to say anything, though.

On 3/21/2020 at 8:53 PM, showtime said:

There's something about the PS5's hardware that's more exciting for game developers.  I don't quite know what it is because I think it starts to get really technical, but that SSD is blazing.  It's like double the speed of the Series X's, which is insane. 

The faster SSD is going to be much more noticeable than slightly higher CPU/GPU clock rates on the Xbox. It'll make a huge difference in loading times.

On 3/24/2020 at 2:05 PM, Heimdallr said:

The faster SSD is going to be much more noticeable than slightly higher CPU/GPU clock rates on the Xbox. It'll make a huge difference in loading times.

It's twice as quick, but what does that translate into the real world? For reference, both the PS4 and Xbox One both had hard drives speeds of about 100mb/s, substantially slower than an SSD obviously. As you get into higher and higher HDD speeds, you start to see diminishing returns in the time it takes to transfer data. For example (using easy numbers for calculations and obv not taking into account the difference in new architecture), if a PS4 took 20 seconds to load a game, you can estimate that a PS5 would take about 0.36 seconds to load, while if we  estimate an Xbox to take double that, it would be 0.72 seconds. Clearly the Xbox is twice as long, but that only translates to 0.36 seconds in this case.

Now obviously as we scale up games, the time might be a lot higher. For example, if a game would take 2 minutes to load (GTA5, sigh), that would translate to: PS5 loading in 2.2 seconds, while the Xbox lags behind at 4.4. Bigger, but still not significant. Beyond that, it's important to realize that any third party dev will almost definitely still be making games for PC as well. Because of that, there is no situation where they design a game that would take any longer than a minute or two to load on a standard HDD, meaning the difference between the two SSDs will never be more than a few seconds max on either console. And, again, if we assume that Sony is aiming for less than a second (instant) at everything, well, Xbox would be right behind at around ~2 seconds. Sony, however, could definitely choose to make use of there super fast SSD on their 1st party games. SSDs really shine with their potential for seamlessly loading in open world games as they could effectively instantly bring data into system memory. I'm really interested to see what Sony does on that front specifically.

Overall, though, I'm a little disappointed with the PS5 specs. A lot of the leaks suggested we'd see something pushing 13TFLOPs which would be insane. Instead, it looks like it's running at closer to 9 and being boosted up to a little over 10. Microsoft on the other hand seems to be pushing a base of 12.1, which is going to be massive if you care about FPS/resolution. I know people keep saying that you can't compare TFLOPs, and in general they're right, but when both Microsoft and Sony are basing their GPUs on the same RDNA2 architecture, it's pretty fair to compare the numbers. Either way, it's good that this time around both consoles are looking like high end PCs. Last generation at announcement they were puttering mid PCs at best.

At the end of the day, those numbers don't mean a ton of Microsoft continues to have poor first party game support, especially when a lot of their titles are available on PC. I think throughout the entire last generation, Microsoft put out 3-4 first party games that I really enjoyed. Sony, on the other hand, put out 1-2 a year. I honestly can't wait to see what both companies announce this summer. It's not crazy to think the initial sales battle will be won then.

• Like 5

On 3/21/2020 at 11:56 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

True, but third party games are essentially the same on every console.  This might just mean it will be more often optimized for the PS5.

Too soon to say anything, though.

Yeah, I'm curious which one gets the nod by 3rd parties this time.
Recently it followed the power, PS4 then the Xbox One X. But feel like we always saw the 360 get that title despite being weaker.

So PS5 could follow suit as the easiest to develop for, but weaker console, holding that role.
But XSX will also be easy to develop for, so not sure why it wouldn't be a straight fight on performance/graphics.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 5:26 PM, rob_shadows said:

Yeah that would be pretty insane for it to launch at the same price the PS4 did... Everyone I've heard speculate about it has said they expect it to be higher than the PS4 was.

With the economy the way is now/heading, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a lower price point to try and sell more units.

34 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

That thing better be available in other colors at launch that is ugly.

Also not sure why they bothered keeping the touchpad when it was barely used on ps4.

EVB9y5hXYAM3bCC.png

There's a black one as well.  I just posted the one in the blog post.

• Like 3