Playstation 5

showtime

6 minutes ago, showtime said:

Physical media doesn't matter.  Are you saying that if the PS5 and next Xbox were to completely eliminate physical media that you would never get one of those consoles?

Of course, but if one doesn't? I'd get that one... Actually that's a lie, I'll get both regardless!.. but I am a somewhat "hardcore" gamer. I feel half of people who buy a console are only getting 1, and they care about a lot more than just the games, which is why I think there is that risk with going all digital, which is why it hasn't already happened.

• Like 1

Just now, MKnight82 said:

The last time I bought a physical game disk was the first game I bought for Xbox one.  When I got home and discovered I still had to install the game for it to run I was like this is stupid.  I can DL a game in my pajamas at home and load it up anytime I want without having to switch out the game disks.  I also never trade in games because I go back and play them all the time.  

My tendency to go physical is not really rooted in practicality, more so just in theory. "IF I don't like this game I can get some return"... I say only in theory since I haven't actually sold a game in ages, and I can't remember the last game I got that I didn't enjoy, since there is so much resources at our disposal to help us make a decision on which games to get. If consoles go all digital, it won't really effect me on a personal level, but it's giving the big wigs more power, and taking it away from consumers, which I don't like to see....

Of course, a spin zone to that is if the used game market was eliminated, perhaps developers could charge less and/or we'd see game prices drop much faster, so in the long run it would benefit us? 

5 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Of course, but if one doesn't? I'd get that one... Actually that's a lie, I'll get both regardless!.. but I am a somewhat "hardcore" gamer. I feel half of people who buy a console are only getting 1, and they care about a lot more than just the games, which is why I think there is that risk with going all digital, which is why it hasn't already happened.

Yes, it hasn't happened already, but it will happen in the future.  Sony and Microsoft will come out with some service that's similar to Netflix.  Nobody is even going to buy games in the future.  People don't believe that's going to happen, but it will.  Sony already has a plan in place for this, but they haven't unveiled it yet.  Xbox has been more vocal about this, as has Google.

I would assume the next Xbox will also have a disk drive (just predicting), but it won't really matter much.

I feel like it's too early for a new generation. I know that statistically it's probably not, but each generation is just starting to feel too similar to me. There aren't any big jumps anymore. I flip between my Xbox One and Switch, and even though the Xbox has prettier graphics, I don't feel like the games actually feel all that different between the two. 

Why do we need something like 8K support? Can your eyes even tell the difference? 

28 minutes ago, showtime said:

Yes, it hasn't happened already, but it will happen in the future.  Sony and Microsoft will come out with some service that's similar to Netflix.  Nobody is even going to buy games in the future.  People don't believe that's going to happen, but it will.  Sony already has a plan in place for this, but they haven't unveiled it yet.  Xbox has been more vocal about this, as has Google.

I would assume the next Xbox will also have a disk drive (just predicting), but it won't really matter much.

There will definitely be a market for game buying even if streaming will be the dominant model. Console gamers may give in eventually, but hardcore PC gamers never will. There's enough of those for at least a fringe offering of digital downloads to be available forever.

The reason why I think many current stubborn gamers will eventually give in is despite fighting the good fight for now, people will always give in to convenience. I don't think the streaming service today is targeted at the people on this or other gaming forums, at least not entirely, I think it's meant to reach a broader market. Once that market is reached, it'll be easier for the convenience factor to sink in for those who initially resisted and slowly they'll convert, especially if there are no technical issues and more areas are covered by actual broadband.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Physical media doesn't matter.  Are you saying that if the PS5 and next Xbox were to completely eliminate physical media that you would never get one of those consoles?

I couldnt get one. Neither could 60% of Americas landmass until internet improves. I get 3G speed after 15gig. And Dial Up speed after 30. And thats doing a whole lot better than most rural areas.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

The last time I bought a physical game disk was the first game I bought for Xbox one.  When I got home and discovered I still had to install the game for it to run I was like this is stupid.  I can DL a game in my pajamas at home and load it up anytime I want without having to switch out the game disks.  I also never trade in games because I go back and play them all the time.  

I have 3 kids that play. I take them to trade in games and get new like once a month. And when they trade in, its a stack of games. Which they put towards new used games. We hit the deals of like 4 for 20 and they clean house. Some they dont like after trying for 15 mins, some they love and keep a few months.

And then trading games. I trade games all the time with neighbors. Half of the games Ive played through the past year have been borrowed.

But like I have done for new games like RDR2. Why buy a game for 60 and trade it in for 40 and buy it in the future for 10. When I can download in my pajamas?

44 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I have 3 kids that play. I take them to trade in games and get new like once a month. And when they trade in, its a stack of games. Which they put towards new used games. We hit the deals of like 4 for 20 and they clean house. Some they dont like after trying for 15 mins, some they love and keep a few months.

And then trading games. I trade games all the time with neighbors. Half of the games Ive played through the past year have been borrowed.

But like I have done for new games like RDR2. Why buy a game for 60 and trade it in for 40 and buy it in the future for 10. When I can download in my pajamas?

I have a neighbor that I use gameshare with.  No need to switch disks, we can just instantly DL whatever game the other has bought.  As far as kids games, that doesn't really apply to me (currently).  I get what you're saying though, but you can still bargain shop on xbox live for cheaper DLs.  

It sounds like next gen they should have two versions of the consoles available, because people like me have no interest in a system that has a hard disk reader.  I would prefer for them to use that space/cost for an upgrading hard drive.  Obviously there are some people that still prefer hard disk and they should have a system that gears towards them.  

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I have a neighbor that I use gameshare with.  No need to switch disks, we can just instantly DL whatever game the other has bought.  As far as kids games, that doesn't really apply to me (currently).  I get what you're saying though, but you can still bargain shop on xbox live for cheaper DLs.  

It sounds like next gen they should have two versions of the consoles available, because people like me have no interest in a system that has a hard disk reader.  I would prefer for them to use that space/cost for an upgrading hard drive.  Obviously there are some people that still prefer hard disk and they should have a system that gears towards them.  

Gamestop was looking to get bought out last year. If Sony would step up and pull something like that. Basically make it a Sony store for themselves. That could really make a go of things for them.

Closest one to me if 50 miles, and 40 of those 50 are rural zones. Everyone has to go there because of the internet flow we get. I wouldnt mind downloads so much if we could take a flash drive or something to the places and have them zip it on one for us. But so many of us are so screwed when it comes to such things. Why I never got GTA5 not doing addons like GTA4. They just went full online mode, where half the country cant atm. Make addons and you get a quick cash grab from all 100% that wants one.

6 hours ago, showtime said:

I'd be good with 2TB if the game files stay roughly the same size they are now for the average game.  For some reason I'm bracing for 500GB or 1TB, though.

If it's an SSD, It's gonna be a TB at the biggest. They'll have bigger options but 5 TB is not happening. 

6 hours ago, Lions017 said:

I feel like it's too early for a new generation. I know that statistically it's probably not, but each generation is just starting to feel too similar to me. There aren't any big jumps anymore. I flip between my Xbox One and Switch, and even though the Xbox has prettier graphics, I don't feel like the games actually feel all that different between the two. 

Why do we need something like 8K support? Can your eyes even tell the difference? 

Yes. 

It's the monitor/TV that lets you tell the difference. 

8k is quality enough to basically have tech demos look realer than real life. 

4 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

VR.

PSVR wouldn't make a damn difference in 8k streaming, hardware couldn't run it. 

8k is pretty much mute when 95% of people don't even own an 8k and we're just barely getting into 4k. 

10 hours ago, showtime said:

Here's some more information:

- 8-Core AMD CPU using 7nm Zen 2 microarcitecture and a variant of Radeon's Navi family supporting ray tracing. Chipset also includes 3D Audio support. Can produce graphics up to 8K.

- SSD that is specifically designed for the console that potentially makes load times 19x faster. Also has real time in-game benefits such as much smoother streaming in open world games.

- Current PSVR headset will be compatible with PS5.

- PS5 will be backwards-compatible with PS4.

- Death Stranding is highly alluded to being a cross-generation title. (Speculation)

- PlayStation will have a cloud-streaming strategy that will become clearer in the future.

I question them putting SSD's in there instead of HDD. The reliability will not be as good and with consoles most people won't know how to just pop off the top and replace the SSD with a new one.

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

I question them putting SSD's in there instead of HDD. The reliability will not be as good and with consoles most people won't know how to just pop off the top and replace the SSD with a new one.

Load times. 

HDDs fail as much as SSDs.

• Like 1