Playstation 5

showtime

1 hour ago, rob_shadows said:

You're assuming the PS5 will have a 4k Blu-ray player built in... Sony elected not to add one to the PS4 pro to keep the price down... They could do it again for the PS5... Especially since switching to a SSD, especially if it has anything remotely close to a decent capacity to it, will drive the price up considerably.

It'd probably make sense to have both options. 

2 hours ago, Mossburg said:

What about MVC2? I heard that was pulled from all digital stores. I wonder if you can download it if you already bought.

I'm not sure about that game.  That might be a game Capcom pulled; therefore, that's a Capcom issue and not a Microsoft one.

One of the points I was making is, people are going crazy over PS4 games being backwards compatible with the PS5, but Xbox has been doing backwards compatibility for a very long time.  Like I said, there are over 600 Xbox and Xbox 360 titles that are playable on the Xbox One.  You can't even play PS3 games you own on the PS4 right now, which makes zero sense other than Sony not wanting to allow it.

The example he was using is, he owned MLB the Show 14 and can't even play it anymore.  Which is purely pretty much a Sony thing.

3 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

You're assuming the PS5 will have a 4k Blu-ray player built in... Sony elected not to add one to the PS4 pro to keep the price down... They could do it again for the PS5... Especially since switching to a SSD, especially if it has anything remotely close to a decent capacity to it, will drive the price up considerably.

Yea, and they made a big mistake by doing that.  It doesn't drive the price up.  The Xbox One S has that and it cost the same as a standard PS4.  There's no way they ship a console in 2020 that still can't play 4K movies.

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

I'm not sure about that game.  That might be a game Capcom pulled; therefore, that's a Capcom issue and not a Microsoft one.

One of the points I was making is, people are going crazy over PS4 games being backwards compatible with the PS5, but Xbox has been doing backwards compatibility for a very long time.  Like I said, there are over 600 Xbox and Xbox 360 titles that are playable on the Xbox One.  You can't even play PS3 games you own on the PS4 right now, which makes zero sense other than Sony not wanting to allow it.

The example he was using is, he owned MLB the Show 14 and can't even play it anymore.  Which is purely pretty much a Sony thing.

Emulation/ architecture issue. We all know the early PS3 was a hunk of expensive complicated junk, it's a pain in the *** to emulate (See: Official developer of it doesn't have one out) and adding the physical parts to play the games wouldn't be worth it. Plus I'm pretty sure the base PS4/PS4 Pro would have issues running the emulator and those games. 

They'll likely have an answer for this next gen with more powerful hardware. 

1 minute ago, DingoLadd said:

Emulation/ architecture issue. We all know the early PS3 was a hunk of expensive complicated junk, it's a pain in the *** to emulate (See: Official developer of it doesn't have one out) and adding the physical parts to play the games wouldn't be worth it. Plus I'm pretty sure the base PS4/PS4 Pro would have issues running the emulator and those games. 

They'll likely have an answer for this next gen with more powerful hardware. 

So why is it not an issue to play a game that's over a decade old on the Xbox One?  That Star Wars game I linked came out in 2004, I believe.  That's 15 years ago.  Is it just that MS used a cleaner architecture that makes playing games on all three consoles work?

1 minute ago, showtime said:

So why is it not an issue to play a game that's over a decade old on the Xbox One?  That Star Wars game I linked came out in 2004, I believe.  That's 15 years ago.  Is it just that MS used a cleaner architecture that makes playing games on all three consoles work?

It is a billion things, emulation is far from easy/boils down to one thing (hence why the PSCLassic flopped so hard because of it's choppy emulation) but generally yes. The original Xbox used a lot of older components in computers that makes it easier to emulate. The 360 less so but it's still a fairly straightforward system to emulate (though ironically it's had less success from a private emulator standpoint compared to PS3) 

Plus we're talking original Xbox (3 gens ago) vs. PS3 which is one gen back. 

10 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

It is a billion things, emulation is far from easy/boils down to one thing (hence why the PSCLassic flopped so hard because of it's choppy emulation) but generally yes. The original Xbox used a lot of older components in computers that makes it easier to emulate. The 360 less so but it's still a fairly straightforward system to emulate (though ironically it's had less success from a private emulator standpoint compared to PS3) 

I wasn't just talking about the original Xbox, most of the backwards compatible games are from the 360, which is also one gen back.

Take a game like Marvel vs Capcom 3.  Both games (like all games outside of exclusives) were made for both systems, yet you can't play any of them if you own them on the Playstation.

I was actually reading up on this just now and one thing suggested that Sony made it this way, partly, so that people would be forced to subscribe to Playstation Now.  You can play PS3 games on there, but you have to stream them.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, showtime said:

I wasn't just talking about the original Xbox, most of the backwards compatible games are from the 360, which is also one gen back.

Take a game like Marvel vs Capcom 3.  Both games (like all games outside of exclusives) were made for both systems, yet you can't play any of them if you own them on the Playstation.

I was actually reading up on this just now and one thing suggested that Sony made it this way, partly, so that people would be forced to subscribe to Playstation Now.  You can play PS3 games on there, but you have to stream them.

I'm sure that's a factor but if you want to play PS3 games....buy a PS3. 

Backwards compatiblity is a hard thing to nail when your console can't run the emulation or has the hardware of last gen.

The PS3 was so expensive at launch because it could play ps2 titles and various other things. They dropped that feature to cut costs. 

They did the same thing with the PS4 because of the PS3, they've given changed course.

I mean at the end of the day there are a billion factors that went into these decisions, plus it's easier for Microsoft because their console runs on a version of windows. Which ya know has literally every emulator on it. 

9 hours ago, showtime said:

If you don't game that much, just hold off for a sale sometime in probably 2021.  You might consider upgrading if you can trade your PS4 towards a PS5 and want a UHD 4K Blu-Ray player (if you don't already have one).

Yeah, I'll definitely upgrade at some point. I still play it a little (though I just don't have the time for the rpgs which really sucks, since those are my faves...still waiting to open p5). The backwards compatibility will probably sucker me into the upgrade at some point for sure though. 

17 hours ago, showtime said:

He's pointing out a broader issue with digital games, regardless of whose fault it is. Assuming backwards compatibility is a standard, the only way you can not play a game you physically bought is if you lose or ruin your disc. Here things are potentially out of your hands, you can lose access to a game anytime because <insert whatever issue>.

19 hours ago, showtime said:

It's just an architecture issue man. Not a crazy tinfoil hat conspiracy. They're building this one close to ps4 architecture so it'll almost certainly being backwards compatible. You couldn't play let's say Saturn games on Dreamcast because they were designed completely different. M$ stayed similar enough to make it work throughout their consoles. It's just a design decision. PS now tried to help that I guess. But yeah it's a streaming subscription and it isn't that great of an option. 

Edit: Sony will be 2 for 3 on backwards compatibility. It's not some huge trend by any means. 

Edited by Norm

19 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

PS classic is hilarious just because ps1 games run on a freaking toaster. Pretty sure they run better on retroarch on the NES classic which is hilarious. 

Another random note is my understanding with 360 emulation is a lot of it being behind ps3 has little to do with tech and most to do with the support behind it being much smaller. Hell even og Xbox emulation stinks and at first glance I don't think they should have been harder to emulate than the PS counterparts but I'm not expert either. 

On 4/17/2019 at 10:45 AM, showtime said:

Yea, but that's a Sony problem.  Xbox doesn't do that.  If Xbox did that, then I wouldn't buy anything digital either.

This game from the original Xbox is still playable on the Xbox One without any issues.

xbox_star_wars_battlefront-110214.jpg

I can one situation where it was in fact done on Xbox from personal experience, though it may be apples to oranges?

I'd digitally downloaded NCAA 14 back in like 2015, didn't play it again until like 2017, but when I went to find it, it was nowhere to be found.