Who is better, Brees vs Favre

patriotsheatyan

Who is better, Brees vs Favre  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better, Brees vs Favre

• Favre
    • Brees
    • Favre now but eventually Brees

Great discussion..........much better than the usual Brady v Manning or Montana v Brady etc. etc........

For me, though Brees is a truly great player there's something about the mystique of Favre and playing in an era when QB play was more difficult. I tend to give more precendence to past QBs  simply because the job was more difficult - though of course their careers did overlap.

The head says take Brees - more efficient, high football IQ, insanely accurate, easy to coach and work with but the heart simply says Favre - was more naturally talented, iron will, volatile, unpredictable but when you absolutely need a big splash play Favre is more likely to make it happen. I think Favre would have had great success in any era whereas Brees would possibly have been less successful in an earlier era and probably not anywhere near as durable when QBs took real shots and plenty more cheap shots. 

Brees played more of his career indoors, Favre played more outdoors. Brees played in perfect conditions more often, Favre played in lousy conditions more often. Brees thrived in a dome, Favre struggled in domes. Brees wins with his brains and precision, Favre won with his brawn and moxy.

Both found the most success with their second NFL teams and both had offensive gurus as their HC's.

Favre won his SB in New Orleans, Brees won his SB for New Orleans

Two great players and we're lucky to have seen both of em play

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2017 at 10:37 AM, tyler735 said:

What does that even mean?? :|

I'd say Brees has had some greatness as he will likely become the all-time leader in passing yards, touchdowns, has one of the best career completion percentages ever, and has been a part of these accomplishments:

DGo_q7-XcAAPWne.jpg

That is what greatness looks like..

Bulk stats = Greatness?

On 9/13/2017 at 5:13 AM, Darbsk said:

I think Favre would have had great success in any era whereas Brees would possibly have been less successful in an earlier era and probably not anywhere near as durable when QBs took real shots and plenty more cheap shots. 

Maybe so, but you could make the same argument against a lot of QBs.  I don't see Brady or Manning as any more durable than Brees.  In fact,  Brees has only missed two games since he started with the Saints, and only one of them was due to injury.  He also came back from a devastating throwing shoulder injury better than ever.  In fact, all of his world beater seasons were post shoulder injury.  Brees is not made of glass by any means.  And he is intelligent enough to recognize blitzes, and gets the ball out quick.  He is also quicker than people give him credit for, and evades pocket pressure as well as anyone.

8 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Maybe so, but you could make the same argument against a lot of QBs.  I don't see Brady or Manning as any more durable than Brees.  In fact,  Brees has only missed two games since he started with the Saints, and only one of them was due to injury.  He also came back from a devastating throwing shoulder injury better than ever.  In fact, all of his world beater seasons were post shoulder injury.  Brees is not made of glass by any means.  And he is intelligent enough to recognize blitzes, and gets the ball out quick.  He is also quicker than people give him credit for, and evades pocket pressure as well as anyone.

Don't disagree with that, it's a very, very close call for me and as I say, I just think that Favre would have been awesome in today's pass happy league but also could have played in the 70s or 80s equally as well with his propensity for keeping the play alive and 'winging it' off the cuff whereas Brees would be the superior player right now I feel (if we transposed both at their peak) but maybe would have been less effective in earlier decades due to his stature and style of play - a lot of smaller QBs took some pretty big shots and injuries back then and it wasn't uncommon for most QBs to miss significant portions of time. Brees hasn't taken injuries in the modern era it's true, but it's a lot different to the days where QBs were allowed to be targeted.

It's all subjective though obviously and while my head says Brees, my heart says Favre. It's why this one is a great topic, there is no obvious or consensus answer and we can make a good case for either I feel.

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Don't disagree with that, it's a very, very close call for me and as I say, I just think that Favre would have been awesome in today's pass happy league but also could have played in the 70s or 80s equally as well with his propensity for keeping the play alive and 'winging it' off the cuff whereas Brees would be the superior player right now I feel (if we transposed both at their peak) but maybe would have been less effective in earlier decades due to his stature and style of play - a lot of smaller QBs took some pretty big shots and injuries back then and it wasn't uncommon for most QBs to miss significant portions of time. Brees hasn't taken injuries in the modern era it's true, but it's a lot different to the days where QBs were allowed to be targeted.

It's all subjective though obviously and while my head says Brees, my heart says Favre. It's why this one is a great topic, there is no obvious or consensus answer and we can make a good case for either I feel.

I just don't think that it's a legitimate argument to say that Brees isn't durable.  He's listed at 6'0 209.  Joe Montana is listed at 6'2 205.  Joe is slightly taller and more bean-polish.  Joe was durable enough to be the GOAT for two decades.  Have you ever seen Joe's legs?  They look like toothpicks.

Favre is certainly the Iron Man, and no one has dethroned him yet, but that doesn't necessarily mean that anyone not named Favre couldn't play in previous eras.

Favre is a better ad libber and extends plays, and just plays backyard football when the play breaks down.  He's definitely better at that than Brees.  And his arm is arguable GOAT strength, especially among legitimate starting QBs.

In order for Brees to really shine, he needs an offense that's gonna let him pass.  He could game manage, but his talents are much better suited to a passing team.  His strengths, such as accuracy, intelligence, pocket awareness, are strengths that would suit him well in any era.  He may not have the stats he does now, but no one else did either, except for Dan Marino in one year where everything came together perfectly for him.

I agree though, Brees vs Favre is close, but I prefer Brees strengths over Favre.  They both have a little gunslinger in them, but Favre goes full bonehead in too many postseason situations.

Traveled to St Louis to watch Favre play for the Vikings. Two weeks later. to watch Aaron Rogers. Then to Minny to watch Favre's Vikings play GB on MNF. Rogers was young but good. Favre still had some zip. As Favre led the Vikings on a long drive late in the 4th Q, the old Minny dome filled with Packers fans wearing Favre jerseys with tape over his name. Fans sat in horror as they watched ol Brett throw a dart into the endzone to win. The old dome, for just a second was quiet. 

Never saw Brees play. But Favre delivered.

Archived