A "Fant-astic" Mock

Karnage84

I'm not sure how I would feel about this draft but I wanted to see how this could work out if the Lions did trade down.

Trade #8 to Atlanta for #14, 2nd and 5th

(S) = Starter (3); (K) = Key Depth (4); (B) = Back up (1); (D) = Developmental (3)

1) Noah Fant, TE, Iowa: Most athletic TE in the draft. He has the most potential to be the George Kittle of this draft and play the Jimmy Graham (lite) role in Bevell's offense. (S)

2) Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State: Very solid prospect with size and athleticism. Will compete and develop into a starter opposite of Slay (S)

2) Kaleb McGary, OG/OT, Washington: Versatile prospect with great size and power. Will start at RG but has the potential to play RT. (S)

3) Anthony Nelson, DE/Edge, Iowa: Big and versatile guy. Can play inside and outside. Brings the versatility that the Lions/Patriots like (K)

4) Miles Boykin, WR, Notre Dame: One of the most athletic guys at the combine but doesn't have the production to back it up. Could develop into one of the best WR's in the league (K)

5) Justice Hill, RB, Oklahoma State: Brings a speed element to the offense that is currently lacking. Hasn't shown to be a receiver yet, so he does have some more work to do. (K)

5) Foster Moreau, TE, LSU: One of my top 5 TE's in the draft, he slips due to being used primarily as a blocking TE in college. Moreau offers a lot of upside with a high floor as a blocking TE. He could develop into a steal (B)

6) Keelan Doss, WR, UC-Davis: Bucky Brooks has described him as a Keenan Allen-type. He's a developmental guy that has good size and could be a big hit. Will need some work coming from the FCS level (D)

6) Maxx Crosby, OLB/Edge, Eastern Michigan: Crosby could be the steal of the draft. His athletic numbers are comparable to a Josh Allen or Brian Burns. High motor with a ton of effort. He played mainly on the line in college but could play outside (K)

7) Oli Udoh, OT, Elon: A developmental prospect with great size. There's a chance he could develop into a solid tackle or guard (D)

7) Jordan Brown, CB, South Dakota State: FCS prospect with decent size and athleticism. Chance to develop. (D)

38 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

If we trade down and take not the best TE in the draft at 14, I would not be happy.  I don't like the rest of the draft TBH.  I think we need a safety more than a CB at this point.  I also would like a DT at some point and a LB. 

I personally think that Fant is going to be the best TE as a receiving option. Hockenson could also be gone by then, if that's your guy.

Maxx Crosby is essentially an OLB. Nelson is a D-lineman... he's versatile and can play at a few different spots.

45 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

If we trade down and take not the best TE in the draft at 14, I would not be happy.  I don't like the rest of the draft TBH.  I think we need a safety more than a CB at this point.  I also would like a DT at some point and a LB. 

I'm not thrilled with taking a first round TE but if you actually look at the past several years there are very few guys that have done much beyond the 3rd round. Kittle is more of an anomaly. Most of the guys that actually get yardage run a sub 4.70. Rudolph was the only guy to exceed that. Fant has elite measurables and the production to back it up. Warring, Moreau and Knox all have solid potential but they don't have the production, so there's a bit of a projection. Oliver is in that ballpark but has a bit more production to his name. He's also played against weaker competition, so there is still some projection involved. Hockenson doesn't offer up a lot more to me than what Jesse James can do, which is the tiebreaker.

There is no way that I would be taking a TE at #8 - whether it's Fant or Hockenson. It's a bit more palatable with a trade down and there is a potential scheme fit with the Bevell/Jimmy Graham connection.

• Like 1

Serious question but does it make sense to draft any TE in rd 1 financially? I feel like they have to be really special to take one in rd 1 just because they do not get paid much in FA. Wasnt Ebrons 5th year option like 9 mil? That is Gronk/Kelce money! Draft is ok though, I would have chosen different players but like the positions you hit. Love the trade down (Assuming Bosa, Allen, QW, Oliver were all off the board at 8)

4 hours ago, BZski said:

Serious question but does it make sense to draft any TE in rd 1 financially? I feel like they have to be really special to take one in rd 1 just because they do not get paid much in FA. Wasnt Ebrons 5th year option like 9 mil? That is Gronk/Kelce money! Draft is ok though, I would have chosen different players but like the positions you hit. Love the trade down (Assuming Bosa, Allen, QW, Oliver were all off the board at 8)

This is my thoughts.  Not to mention I just don’t think a TE is that much of a difference maker.  They are nice to have but unless you have a Gronk, they aren’t as impactful as other positions IMO.  I just feel like we are ok at TE, can take one later to have some potential there, but it’s just not worth taking in rd 1. 

13 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

How in god's name could we need a safety more than a corner? We have no CB 2 and one of the better safety duos you could ask for IMO. The next safety plays like 300 snaps where as CB2 is probably the third most valuable spot in our d

12 hours ago, BZski said:

Yes! Surplus value is the name of the game

4 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Fant is more Ebron than Kittle tbh

I don't disagree with you, although I am expecting him to be a better version of Ebron. Ebron couldn't block and had drops. I do think Fant is an improvement in the blocking. I have heard something about drops with him but don't have anything more concrete on that. Fant and Jesse James are a better combination and offer more versatility than what we're looking to be rolling with now.

I just saw a mock on espn that was interesting. it was trading back and getting a guy like Burns. then trading back into the first with extra picks and get te hockenson. Doubt he is there in the 20's though. But still could get a sick corner like Murphy or who knows who will drop. But if we can get two pro bowl players in the first. That would be a change and makes picking a TE less cringy.. (only cause Ebron broke most Lions fans hearts at the time of pick and during his time here and now hes a PB player on Colts lmao)

Edited by NFL_Fan

12 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

This is my thoughts.  Not to mention I just don’t think a TE is that much of a difference maker.  They are nice to have but unless you have a Gronk, they aren’t as impactful as other positions IMO.  I just feel like we are ok at TE, can take one later to have some potential there, but it’s just not worth taking in rd 1. 

Bevell utilizes a TE as his third option in the passing game. A guy like Graham was the most impactful. There are guys that could develop into some decent if not solid TE's in the class: Knox, Warring, Moreau, Oliver. They all have work to do as receivers and would be best utilized as run blockers to start. Fant is more polished and can be flexed out.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Bevell utilizes a TE as his third option in the passing game. A guy like Graham was the most impactful. There are guys that could develop into some decent if not solid TE's in the class: Knox, Warring, Moreau, Oliver. They all have work to do as receivers and would be best utilized as run blockers to start. Fant is more polished and can be flexed out.

still not worth it...even if TE is first option...