Who are the best 'professional' mockers out there?

James Lofton

Some mocks seem so off base. I'm wondering who you think has a track record of close-ish mock drafts, because it's virtually impossible to get it right on. I'm talk'n about who seems to get it close. In my opinion Bob McGinn (formally a local reporter) was one of the best and Mike Mayock was pretty good too. But neither are anymore. So where so you go for a strong mock and please post a link.

The best (if memory serves) was that Dallas newspaper guy who, doesn't do it any more.
McGinn was pretty good, but only gave a mock immediately before the draft.
Mayock wasn't bad, but he is GM at the raiders so nothing there either.
I have more faith in 'The Bleacher Report' mock than most mocks, (it's only a one round mock) but I haven't checked the figures.................. time for a web search.....

Here is a link that might interest you. The Huddle Report has the best mockers and they give a list of the top ones over the years.

https://www.thehuddlereport.com/mock.scores.shtml

50 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The best (if memory serves) was that Dallas newspaper guy who, doesn't do it any more.

Rick Gosselin from the Dallas Morning News used to be the best .. as you mentioned he gave it up a few years ago.  Now he is known for his yearly special teams rankings.

44 minutes ago, blankman0021 said:

The Draft Network guys are a good listen. Not sure their history on mocks, but they seem to do their homework on the prospects at least.

I like their stuff too but I feel like they definitely have their guys (similar to pff)

Maycock and McGinn had some insider knowledge esp as draft day neared. Interesting McGinn has slipped. Perhaps more out of the loop now. They had a better feel for certain players. McGinn's forte was guessing the top 100 picks IIRC.

Every NFL team has a different board. So, it is hard to predict. Also meds are big and those often come out after the draft (Dexter Lawrence had a real strange nerve damage for instance). Not to mention the smoke has been coming out since January. Teams try hard to hide a couple guys they love more than others (like Jaire for GB last year) -- character plays a huge role and that word means so much more than mere off field stuff. Nothing is so predictive as true heart for the game and desire to be great.

Anyways, I prefer following those guys who predict good players and not (the sometimes stupid) picks of (bad) FOs. GB I expect to have a great draft-- because they don't have to settle for "leftovers" in a deep draft with a ton of capital.

Archived