Who are the best 'professional' mockers out there?

James Lofton

No one is particularly great at it and it's basically impossible for reasons aside from just how different their board could be from NFL teams.

A) They cannot predict trades, which will completely alter how a draft unfolds.
B) A lot of stuff that gets leaked is leaked intentionally. Nothing gets out by accident.
C) There are random players that get taken far earlier than the consensus expects. There's a few guys every year, just in the first round.

It's a tough job. Mocks are mostly for getting a range a player is expected to go in. Outside of the top few picks, it's basically impossible to nail it down.

54 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

No one is particularly great at it and it's basically impossible for reasons aside from just how different their board could be from NFL teams.

A) They cannot predict trades, which will completely alter how a draft unfolds.
B) A lot of stuff that gets leaked is leaked intentionally. Nothing gets out by accident.
C) There are random players that get taken far earlier than the consensus expects. There's a few guys every year, just in the first round.

It's a tough job. Mocks are mostly for getting a range a player is expected to go in. Outside of the top few picks, it's basically impossible to nail it down.

+1.  Also, might just be my skepticism, but most mocks are generated for click value.  I mean, seriously, the NFL network guys changing their mocks every week are just to keep us tuned into the network.  It works like a charm, but the only mocks that are true efforts are going to be next Tuesday and Wednesday.  Otherwise it's smoke and mirrors or Bread and Circuses, whichever you like.

19 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The best (if memory serves) was that Dallas newspaper guy who, doesn't do it any more.
McGinn was pretty good, but only gave a mock immediately before the draft.
Mayock wasn't bad, but he is GM at the raiders so nothing there either.
I have more faith in 'The Bleacher Report' mock than most mocks, (it's only a one round mock) but I haven't checked the figures.................. time for a web search.....

Here is a link that might interest you. The Huddle Report has the best mockers and they give a list of the top ones over the years.

https://www.thehuddlereport.com/mock.scores.shtml

I came into this thread to post this site as well.  Very under the radar, but also very independent of mainstream twitter/media. 

1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

It's a tough job

Yeah I don't envy anyone who has to perform this task for their career. Haha. I'm just messing. You aren't wrong overall and I know what you meant.

They do seem to get decently accurate with a few guys right before the draft though

The purpose of doing a mock draft at any point in the year other than the two days leading up to the draft is to generate clicks, not to be accurate. Even in the last two days, it's half and half, with the only reason there's even half legitimacy is so that guys can jerk themselves off about being so smart.

An especially difficult task when the guys who get a bunch correct are the local guys who get it spoonfed to them.

Archived