Kyle Long Drops Sigificant Weight Since January

soulman

Kyle Long feels younger and healthier after losing 25 pounds

Remember that new year’s resolution you had to lose weight by eating healthier? Kyle Long apparently had the same idea and stuck with it, posting today on his Twitter account about how great he feels after losing 25 pounds since the season ended in January.

Long, one of the longest-tenured Bears, has had an exceptional yet injury-plagued career. After making the pro bowl in his first three seasons, while also being named a second-team All-Pro guard in 2014, Long has missed 22 games over the last three seasons with shoulder, hand, ankle, and foot injuries. When he was drafted in 2013, Long entered the league at roughly 315 pounds but got as heavy as 350 during his six seasons in the NFL.

When asked about how he lost the weight, Long explained how he changed his diet with small portions, no carbs, and tons of water throughout the day. While some linemen want to add the extra weight, Long insists he is at his best playing closer to 315 pounds as it allows for better mobility on the line and injury recovery.

After playing at anywhere from 315-350 I can say that the lighter side of the spectrum gives you more opportunity for mobility and recovery.

Bears training camp is still just over three months away, which is when fans will truly see how Long’s weight loss will impact his play on the field, but after the recent injury issues he’s had, it’s a good sign to hear he feels better overall.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

350? He has looked a little softer at times than he usually is (as he is a fairly well built OL rather than a sloppy 300+ guy) but at no point do I remember him ever looking that big. Wow. 

Hes int of the most gifted large athletes ever, 350 on him looks like 320 on a lot of other guys.  Pep is the same kind of athlete, he was 296 lbs, and looked to have the same build as a guy who was 260.  These are true freaks of nature 

350 is too heavy for anyone to effectively play at. The additional wear and tear on the body is not worth the extra pounds.

I say that as probably the only person on the board who has weighed that much in their life.

Long carries it well, but everyone has the same cartridge between their joints and the same ligaments holding it all together.

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Soulman makes this sub forum into like a Bears Drudge Report or Bears news aggregation center.

I don't have to go anywhere else for information and tid bits.

@soulman that's dll's way of saying thank you ;)     xD

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

350? He has looked a little softer at times than he usually is (as he is a fairly well built OL rather than a sloppy 300+ guy) but at no point do I remember him ever looking that big. Wow. 

That was my exact first thought.

350 is huge.  Ginormous difference between 310 or so and 350.  350 is ridiculous for him.  

I think Shaheen loses some weight he will have less injuries and play better too.  One good thing about Lovie is he was always good on weight and enforcing it.  He was right too.

Flexibility is also key.  If I was a pro athlete I would be doing yoga daily.  But I am an officer worker so I do nothing but bike when it is nice.

At least I'm not fat.

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

One good thing about Lovie is he was always good on weight and enforcing it.

Ehhhh not always. He let Briggs and some other get fat. Tommie Harris once used the most oxygen in a season than any Bear on that roster.

I also recall Lovie having to burn a timeout because his defense was gassed.

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

That was my exact first thought.

350 is huge.  Ginormous difference between 310 or so and 350.  350 is ridiculous for him.  

I think Shaheen loses some weight he will have less injuries and play better too.  One good thing about Lovie is he was always good on weight and enforcing it.  He was right too.

Flexibility is also key.  If I was a pro athlete I would be doing yoga daily.  But I am an officer worker so I do nothing but bike when it is nice.

At least I'm not fat.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

There are lots of guys that do not lose athletic ability when they put on weight so it is difficult to realize when you are getting too heavy.

The difference comes in the repetitiveness of the abuse the body takes.

Knee gets sore, change running gate to compensate, hips start getting fatigued, lower back goes out. Things like that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, G08 said:

Ehhhh not always. He let Briggs and some other get fat. Tommie Harris once used the most oxygen in a season than any Bear on that roster.

I also recall Lovie having to burn a timeout because his defense was gassed.

Maybe he got lax.  They used to have regular weigh ins and you got fined if you didn't make weight.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Soulman makes this sub forum into like a Bears Drudge Report or Bears news aggregation center.

I don't have to go anywhere else for information and tid bits.

Just stuff I think might be of interest to the group in general.

I know that Kyle had admitted to weighing as much as 330lbs before but the 350lbs blew me away.

That's not a good weight for him so it's good to hear he's conditioning himself better and for once not having to spend and entire offseason rehabbing from surgery.  I expect a top shelf rebound by him this year.

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

350 is too heavy for anyone to effectively play at. The additional wear and tear on the body is not worth the extra pounds.

I say that as probably the only person on the board who has weighed that much in their life.

Long carries it well, but everyone has the same cartridge between their joints and the same ligaments holding it all together.

That's where the problem was.  He obviously was still dominant physically and athletically even at 350, but the wear and tear on the joints at that size is real rough