Jaguars volunteer to swap home games with Texans

ET80

https://sports.yahoo.com/jaguars-owner-khan-willing-swap-home-dates-texans-235312875--nfl.html
Jaguars owner Khan willing to swap home dates with Texans

Given the events in Houston over the past few days in Houston, Jaguars owner Shad Khan volunteers to switch home games with the Texans in the wake of Hurricane Harvey.

It would position the Texans to host three home games in December (the home game with the Jags would be moved to 12/17). Conversely, it would put the Jags on the road three times in December. 

Really happy that the Jags and Khan see the bigger picture; If only a certain baseball team in Arlington had the same compassion.

Rick Smith already said the plan is to have the game at NRG on the 10th. We should be good to go with 11 days remaining. Freeways are clearing up.

I do want to add this little suggestion Jayson Braddock made on twitter and see what you guys think.  He proposed that the NFL should make SNF  a DH for the Texans. Giants/Cowboys the first game and Jags/Texans the 2nd game. I think thats  a bad idea for several reasons.

1. Nobody wants to see the Jags play on national tv (sorry Jags fans)

2. The game would start at 9? Thats too late in Houston. I know people gonna say "Rockets had playoff games at 8:30" but thats different. It's easier to get out Toyota Center after games, and NBA games are quicker than NFL games. Dont know if you guys have ever been to NRG but it is hell getting out games. People had to work the next morning.

32 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Rick Smith already said the plan is to have the game at NRG on the 10th. We should be good to go with 11 days remaining. Freeways are clearing up.

I do want to add this little suggestion Jayson Braddock made on twitter and see what you guys think.  He proposed that the NFL should make SNF  a DH for the Texans. Giants/Cowboys the first game and Jags/Texans the 2nd game. I think thats  a bad idea for several reasons.

2. The game would start at 9? Thats too late in Houston. I know people gonna say "Rockets had playoff games at 8:30" but thats different. It's easier to get out Toyota Center after games, and NBA games are quicker than NFL games. Dont know if you guys have ever been to NRG but it is hell getting out games. People had to work the next morning.

If you're playing in Houston, no need to change the time. 

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

As a Jaguars fan, the idea of trying to change the time like that seems nonsensical.  If they're at all worried about the logistics and safety of the game being in Houston with traffic and stuff in the first place, trying to throw together a national broadcast last minute, and making it a late night game there just seems like it would make everything significantly worse/more complicated.

Plus, nobody wants to see the Jags play on national TV.

This would actually give the city until October before hosting a game. It would also make 8 of 13 at home to close the deal. 

The thing ive wondered about is the cut down deadline. It's gonna be terrible for guys to go through this and this weekend 30 of them will be cut. 

13 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/jaguars-owner-khan-willing-swap-home-dates-texans-235312875--nfl.html
Jaguars owner Khan willing to swap home dates with Texans

Given the events in Houston over the past few days in Houston, Jaguars owner Shad Khan volunteers to switch home games with the Texans in the wake of Hurricane Harvey.

It would position the Texans to host three home games in December (the home game with the Jags would be moved to 12/17). Conversely, it would put the Jags on the road three times in December. 

Really happy that the Jags and Khan see the bigger picture; If only a certain baseball team in Arlington had the same compassion.

Different situation. 1 has a full week + to prepare and get the fans situated. The other had 1 day. Rangers were absolutely correct in their stance. What about their offer lacked compassion? It wasn't hurting the citizens of Houston.

22 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Different situation. 1 has a full week + to prepare and get the fans situated. The other had 1 day. Rangers were absolutely correct in their stance. What about their offer lacked compassion? It wasn't hurting the citizens of Houston.

They offered up Arlington Field, told the Astros they could be the "home" team (bat in the bottom of the lineup). The Astros wanted to be the away team and swap the last matchup in Houston, once the situation was resolved. THAT is what the Rangers balked at, citing their situation in the Wild Card race. Given that the division is hemmed up between the two (13.5 games up) letting some outside shot at a playoff run dictate keeping these players/staff away from family during this issue is what lacks compassion.

This wasn't a logistics issue as presented by the Rangers. The offered to host, the Astros agreed pending a few more home games and the Rangers said no dice.

Rangers GM Jon Daniels basically admits this:

"I say that kind of cringing, honestly, because it pales in comparison to the true-life challenges a lot of people are facing right now with the weather down there," Daniels said to reporters after the announcement was made. "I say that with being very much aware of the contrast of what's really going on."

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/si/mlb/2017/08/29/astros-rangers-series-florida-ruins-unifying-games%3fsource=dam

2 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

They offered up Arlington Field, told the Astros they could be the "home" team (bat in the bottom of the lineup). The Astros wanted to be the away team and swap the last matchup in Houston, once the situation was resolved. THAT is what the Rangers balked at, citing their situation in the Wild Card race. Given that the division is hemmed up between the two (13.5 games up) letting some outside shot at a playoff run dictate keeping these players/staff away from family during this issue is what lacks compassion.

This wasn't a logistics issue as presented by the Rangers. The offered to host, the Astros agreed pending a few more home games and the Rangers said no dice.

Rangers GM Jon Daniels basically admits this:

"I say that kind of cringing, honestly, because it pales in comparison to the true-life challenges a lot of people are facing right now with the weather down there," Daniels said to reporters after the announcement was made. "I say that with being very much aware of the contrast of what's really going on."

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/si/mlb/2017/08/29/astros-rangers-series-florida-ruins-unifying-games%3fsource=dam

I was logistics too. If you swap you have all your fans that bought tickets to the series in september and need to get them flipped to now in 1 day or refunds and it's a mess for their ticket employees and not fair to their own fans.

And they weren't keeping the Astros players away from thier families they were going to be anyway. Whether they swapped or did what they proposed they were going to be away in Dallas, not home in Houston.

Read this that was posted in the baseball forum

35 minutes ago, mse326 said:

I was logistics too. If you swap you have all your fans that bought tickets to the series in september and need to get them flipped to now in 1 day or refunds and it's a mess for their ticket employees and not fair to their own fans.

And they weren't keeping the Astros players away from thier families they were going to be anyway. Whether they swapped or did what they proposed they were going to be away in Dallas, not home in Houston.

Read this that was posted in the baseball forum

Read that article already. Completely disagree with it. The concept of "compassion" (which was my original point) means making concessions, even if that means you take on additional burden. 

I'll concede there is a logistical issue to be aware of (albeit an incredibly small one -  you're stating logistics, but completely OK selling brand new tickets to an audience who might have the same scheduling constraints as the audience who'd have to switch tickets). What is the difference of burden in hosting a series with one days notice vs swapping a series? You'll have fans who miss, but how many could drop everything they're doing to show up to this one (especially given that many in the Dallas area did get some rain from Harvey - not 9,000,000,000,000 gallons, but a lot of rain compared to the average). No matter how it plays out a net loss. So why not let compassion factor into it and say "If we're going to take a loss, why not do it in a way that makes both teams whole?" In essence, the burden you're citing - burdens for fans, ticket sales employees - are still present no matter how the three game series is played (except for the series being played in Florida).

I'll even concede that the Astros probably should have given in and played two away series (nevermind that a six game swing in those two series can completely alter a 13 game lead). Both teams are being petty, but the Astros don't have many options in this matter. They're losing home games now, nothing can change that.

19 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Read that article already. Completely disagree with it. The concept of "compassion" (which was my original point) means making concessions, even if that means you take on additional burden. 

I'll concede there is a logistical issue to be aware of (albeit an incredibly small one -  you're stating logistics, but completely OK selling brand new tickets to an audience who might have the same scheduling constraints as the audience who'd have to switch tickets). What is the difference of burden in hosting a series with one days notice vs swapping a series? You'll have fans who miss, but how many could drop everything they're doing to show up to this one (especially given that many in the Dallas area did get some rain from Harvey - not 9,000,000,000,000 gallons, but a lot of rain compared to the average). No matter how it plays out a net loss. So why not let compassion factor into it and say "If we're going to take a loss, why not do it in a way that makes both teams whole?" In essence, the burden you're citing - burdens for fans, ticket sales employees - are still present no matter how the three game series is played (except for the series being played in Florida).

I'll even concede that the Astros probably should have given in and played two away series (nevermind that a six game swing in those two series can completely alter a 13 game lead). Both teams are being petty, but the Astros don't have many options in this matter. They're losing home games now, nothing can change that.

It's about the Rangers fans who have tickets to the September series. They don't have to drop anything if you don't get rid of that series. They still have tickets and will go to those games. Those are the fans I'm talking about. And the ticket employees have far less burden only have to deal with selling new tickets as opposed to exchanging and refunding tickets as well. So, no the burden doesn't effect the Rangers fans at all, and the burden on the Rangers staff is far less, not equal. The burden in switching is definitely different than the burden of just hosting these 3 games with the Astros as the home team.

And the playoffs for Rangers aren't about chasing the Astros. It's about the wild card where they are only 3 back.

You keep talking compassion, but why is it you think the Rangers should lose something, but not the Astros. If you switched series the Rangers have all these issues to deal with and the Astros have basically none. All the burden is on the Rangers, none on the Astros. Again none of this is about Houston natives being inconvenienced, only the Astros. Dont' conflate the two. The Rangers were making consessions in getting their employees to host the games and gaining no revenue from it as they would be giving it to Houston.

And the biggest part of home advantage is batting last which the Astros would be doing even under the Rangers proposal. So the swing you are talking about isn't really present either.

9 minutes ago, mse326 said:

It's about the Rangers fans who have tickets to the September series. They don't have to drop anything if you don't get rid of that series. They still have tickets and will go to those games. Those are the fans I'm talking about.

Nobody suggested there wasn't going to be people inconvenienced by this - it's a natural disaster, people are inconvenienced. In the grand scheme of things, would you rather inconvenience the people who had tickets to the Houston game but can't go because they lost everything, or the people who had tickets to the Arlington game who really just lose a game? Seriously, play that one out. No one likes to be inconvenienced, but if you had a choice, which one would you rather inconvenience?

16 minutes ago, mse326 said:

And the ticket employees have far less burden only have to deal with selling new tickets as opposed to exchanging and refunding tickets as well

Simple solution - outsource this to the Astros ticketing staff if it's that much of a task (or at least ask for reimbursement of costs for refunds, payroll, etc). You've got until September, so that staff should be operational by then. If the Astros balk at THAT, then you have a case where the Astros are bring completely unreasonable.

18 minutes ago, mse326 said:

And the playoffs for Rangers aren't about chasing the Astros. It's about the wild card where they are only 3 back.

So, three additional games in your home park - with your home crowd, with zero travel - doesn't give you a competitive advantage?

If anything, this paints the Rangers as opportunistic. Get a leg up on everyone in that race by getting three more games in their home park, all while letting the Astros bat last - while they play in front of a pro-Rangers crowd, and sleep in their own beds.

Not a good look, IMO.

28 minutes ago, mse326 said:

You keep talking compassion, but why is it you think the Rangers should lose something, but not the Astros. If you switched series the Rangers have all these issues to deal with and the Astros have basically none. All the burden is on the Rangers, none on the Astros.

Don't you think the Astros and their fans have enough to deal with right now? Haven't they lost enough without losing this? So on top of all of that, you don't want to do this because you're afraid of the Rangers losing something?

32 minutes ago, mse326 said:

And the biggest part of home advantage is batting last which the Astros would be doing even under the Rangers proposal. So the swing you are talking about isn't really present either.

Incorrect. The biggest part of homefield advantage is not being on the road. That goes for every sport.

33 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Again none of this is about Houston natives being inconvenienced, only the Astros. Dont' conflate the two. The Rangers were making consessions in getting their employees to host the games and gaining no revenue from it as they would be giving it to Houston

Once again, SOMEONE is going to be inconvenienced. That's kinda what happens after a Natural Disaster. No way around that.

@EliteTexan80
The point is you are putting every burden on the Rangers and none on the Astros. That makes no sense.

You're really crying that you lose 3 games in Houston that are fairly irrelevant for you? Please. Yes they have a lot to deal with, this really doesn't matter. And as for the Astros again they are trying to do nothing but push off ALL of their inconveniences onto the Rangers. Not share the burden. And also don't pretend like Astros were asking to switch to benefit THEIR fans. It was for them, not the fans.

And trust me batting last is more valuable than just being on the road. No other sport actually changes based on who is home that is why being on the road has more effect on them. That isn't true in baseball.

Nor have you shown why compassion DICTATES you should lose something. The Rangers proposal was perfectly reasonable. The Astros would lose less than they otherwise would (far more fans would go to a game in Dallas than Tampa) and they were going to handle ALL of the arrangements. They weren't making the Astros organization do anything.

Once again, SOMEONE is going to be inconvenienced. That's kinda what happens after a Natural Disaster. No way around that.

And why does that have to be the Rangers?

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

The point is you are puttin every burden on the Rangers and none on the Astros. That makes no sense.

Being compassionate - which was the premise of my entire point - usually doesn't make sense. It's not thinking of the burden you're taking on by helping. 

5 minutes ago, mse326 said:

You're really crying that you lose 3 games in Houston that are fairly irrelevant for you? Please. Yes they have a lot to deal with, this really doesn't matter. And as for the Astros again they are trying to do nothing but push off ALL of their inconveniences onto the Rangers. Not share the burden. And also don't pretend like Astros were asking to switch to benefit THEIR fans. It was for them, not the fans.

Ok, let me try this - you're point of burdening fans for switching tickets. Yeah, that's a burden. Think we both can see that. Now, instead - Astros fans who had tickets for this home tilt need to get reimbursed and/or swapped out, just as many of them are rebuilding their entire lives. 

You act like it doesn't matter, but it's the ONLY thing that matters.

8 minutes ago, mse326 said:

And trust me batting last is more valuable than just being on the road. No other sport actually changes based on who is home that is why being on the road has more effect on them. That isn't true in baseball

We'll agree to disagree on this one. I'll take being at home, in my own house and not living in a hotel vs potentially not playing an extra half inning.

10 minutes ago, mse326 said:

@EliteTexan80 

And why does that have to be the Rangers?

Because that's what you do when you're being compassionate. You take on burdens you don't have to take on, to help someone who has a ton of burden already on their plate.

From a logistics perspective, you're probably right (not even probably, you are right). It's a very black and white view, but it is completely void of compassion. Which was my point from the onset.

And that's me take on this. Agree, disagree. Doesn't matter. 

Archived