Trading up in the draft

sonny44

More than 15% growth per year for any company is considered risky.  But what about a sports team?  We have already added many players (hopefully starters) in the off-season, not to mention the vast coaching changes.  We need to find out who we are; establish relationships, identify strengths and combinations. We have decent depth now at most positions.

Assuming we are not likely to get a starter after round 2 or 3, I would favor trading all our picks to get just one or two high potential players. Not next year's picks though. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sonny44 said:

More than 15% growth per year for any company is considered risky.  But what about a sports team?  We have already added many players (hopefully starters) in the off-season, not to mention the vast coaching changes.  We need to find out who we are; establish relationships, identify strengths and combinations. We have decent depth now at most positions.

Assuming we are not likely to get a starter after round 2 or 3, I would favor trading all our picks to get just one or two high potential players. Not next year's picks though. 

I'm going to assume that this was for the Browns forum. 

I think there is certainly some value in having some picks past day 2, though I agree with the premise that 7-8 rookies are unlikely to all make the team. 

Mortgaging it all for just day 1 or 2s cuts down on your chances to get some roster caliber role players or developmental guys that can help down the road. We took some shots and didn’t hit on all but did get Genard Avery in the 5th. Callaway was a 4th. To me, that right there is enough to convince me not to get rid of all our picks for 1-2 guys. 

• Like 1

Just now, sonny44 said:

Well Avery and Calloway ARE 1 or 2 guys.  Easier to indentify them in earlier rounds.

My point was that it took several day 3 shots with some likely pisses to land us a couple good players. And a 3rd in Chad Thomas also. Targeting 1-2 guys doesn’t always result in those guys being hits. There’s something to be said for the volume and percentage hit approach. I’m all for moving a few of our later picks around and still having the highest level of 5-6 picks instead of 7-8. But I’m not really on board with 2-3 draft picks. 

If we dratt 1-2 guys, we won't have a problem this year, but we might come up short next year. 

We have a bunch of guys coming off contract qe have to think about. 

Tretter, randall, schobert, Robinson, we went be able to keep them all, and we dont want to have to draft them and sign them all next year. We need to pick up one or two of their replacements this year.

• Like 1

Trading up this draft would be stupid. The sweet spot this year is rounds 2-4. We just so happen to have picks in those rounds. Let buddy boy take BPA and let’s go. Or trade out and accumulate draft capital for future years when we will actually need it. 

2 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Trading up this draft would be stupid. The sweet spot this year is rounds 2-4. We just so happen to have picks in those rounds. Let buddy boy take BPA and let’s go. Or trade out and accumulate draft capital for future years when we will actually need it. 

WHERE IS YOUR CONCRETE IRREFUTABLE PROOF TO SUBSTANTIATE THIS!!!!

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 11:47 AM, NateDawg said:

My point was that it took several day 3 shots with some likely pisses to land us a couple good players. And a 3rd in Chad Thomas also. Targeting 1-2 guys doesn’t always result in those guys being hits.

Thank Christ someone else gets this, I feel like some folks think Dorsey just won’t miss if he trades up.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:47 AM, NateDawg said:

There’s something to be said for the volume and percentage hit approach. I’m all for moving a few of our later picks around and still having the highest level of 5-6 picks instead of 7-8. But I’m not really on board with 2-3 draft picks. 

My thoughts exactly.

Not to mention, those day 3 picks are the exceptionally cheap deals locked in for 4 years that provide depth and balance the OBJ, Juice, Garrett, etc contracts.

Take a dozen guys on day 3 for all I care.  Get them into camp, see who can play and who fits, cut the rest and move on.  I like that approach a lot more than lumping all those picks into a guy or two in R3 or 4.

• Like 2