Trading up in the draft

sonny44

32 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

This is true, but there are other examples

Geneard Avery was a GREAT pickup in later rounds.

So far he’s been decent, but he’s a high level reserve as of now.  Let’s not get too carried away.

3rd round might not be late enough but Travis Kelcie is now the best TE in the game

DJ Alexander in the 5th...

Hes made some very good late round picks.

Very true.

But he also seems to have an eye for talent all around.  Not everyone knew what Patrick Maholmes was, I thought he had bust written all over him. 

If this is to be believed, Veach was the primary driver behind the Mahomes selection.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/01/09/we-got-it-done-inside-story-how-patrick-mahomes-landed-with-chiefs/?utm_term=.0d8007b4bc1b

Very few people wanted Baker Mayfield over Sam Darnold and look what happened. 

Eh, a number did.  @freakygeniuskid, @ditchdigger, @NudeTayne, @TheeRealDeal, @Thomas5737 all did and that’s just off the top of my head here.  I had him 1B behind Darnold, as did some others ( @candyman93 maybe?), so he wasn’t exactly an “out of left field” selection.

A lot of fans here are Ohio State fans and very few wanted Denzel Ward over Bradley Chubb but very few are complaining now.

We could have taken Chubb and no one would be complaining either.  Or Nelson. Or Roquan. (The next 3 non-qb’s taken)

Ward was a fine pick, but he wasn’t the only option.

He just seems like he has a decent eye for talent.

Agreed.

• Like 1

If there’s one thing Dorsey is amazing at, its picking the right job opportunities.

In KC he inherited a LOT of top shelf talent and the first overall pick.

Here he inherited the most draft capital and cap space possibly in the history of the game and a number of nice young pieces.

I don’t mean this as a backhanded compliment at all either. Smart people pick good opportunities and pass on the duds.

• Like 2

Supposedly some teams have taken Sweat completely off their boards due to medicals. You know how that goes though. It’s hard to know what to believe and if someone is intentionally trying to push him down the board to their slot. 

Whatever we do, I don’t want to give up big future assets to move up unless there’s a very real talent discrepancy with where we are and the guy we’re getting. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Supposedly some teams have taken Sweat completely off their boards due to medicals. You know how that goes though. It’s hard to know what to believe and if someone is intentionally trying to push him down the board to their slot. 

Whatever we do, I don’t want to give up big future assets to move up unless there’s a very real talent discrepancy with where we are and the guy we’re getting. 

Can confirm subterfuge is being employed by a secret council in Berea.

On 4/22/2019 at 12:36 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, a number did.  @freakygeniuskid, @ditchdigger, @NudeTayne, @TheeRealDeal, @Thomas5737 all did and that’s just off the top of my head here.  I had him 1B behind Darnold, as did some others ( @candyman93 maybe?), so he wasn’t exactly an “out of left field” selection.

I went into that draft with a sticky note I wrote in February. And it said Baker Effing Mayfield no matter what.

• Like 4

I'll actually be impressed if Dorsey DOESN'T trade up.  It would show discipline and patience, something severely lacking with most of his predecessors.

I'll still never forget Savage in 2008.  He had traded away our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd as most of you remember.  Rather than waiting it out with our first pick, Savage got antsy and traded up for Beau Bell.  Who? Exactly.  He used a future 3rd to move up.  Puke.

Don't do that, Buddy Boy.  But if you do, make it worthwhile.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I'll actually be impressed if Dorsey DOESN'T trade up.  It would show discipline and patience, something severely lacking with most of his predecessors.

I'll still never forget Savage in 2008.  He had traded away our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd as most of you remember.  Rather than waiting it out with our first pick, Savage got antsy and traded up for Beau Bell.  Who? Exactly.  He used a future 3rd to move up.  Puke.

Don't do that, Buddy Boy.  But if you do, make it worthwhile.

Of the 3 player for picks trades only shaun Roger's was worrth it, though he was only good for a year or two. Was a true beast before he broke his leg.

33 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

You don't remember Beau Bell? Elite.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Just stay put please! I'd move up into early round 2 if Rapp or Adderley are gone.

Let's say Rapp goes in R1. Now there would be urgency on my end to go get Adderley. And the same thing goes for the opposite event.

I want one of those two DB's in the worst way.

Eh if those guys are both gone two other dudes are available.

No need to get desperate.