Paul Richardson tried to play through fractured clavicle last season

turtle28

Paul Richardson tried to play through fractured clavicle last season

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/19/paul-richardson-tried-to-play-through-fractured-clavicle-last-season/ via @ProFootballTalk

Redskins wide receiver Paul Richardson was injured last year and tried to show he could play anyway.

According to the team’s website, Richardson played in seven games for Washington last season despite a fractured clavicle that occurred during training camp last August and worsened as the year progresses.

I was like, man something’s not right,” he said. “I got all this adrenaline after practice and it was just sore. I was in rehab every day, it was just sore. There was no sense of urgency or need to investigate further because I said I was fine. I was being more competitive than smart.”

Richardson tried to act as though his injury wasn’t as significant as it was as he tried to prove himself to his new team after signing a five-year deal with the team last March. That was until the injury became too serious to overlook any longer.

“The end of the bone was stabbing through my skin every day,” Richardson said. “I was having trouble with day-to-day stuff, and it was bigger than me being an athlete. I have a family, I have to be able to do regular stuff around the house every day. If I can’t do that, I’m definitely no use on the field”

Damn guy still caught 20 passes for 262 yds and 2 tds - and got held/interfered with a few times so he didn't have another 100 yds in receptions and another TD - despite playing all of his 7 games with a broken clavicle. Perhaps we have something with PRich, if, IF, he can stay healthy!

This WR situation is so bizarre. No idea what to make of this position group. What does the organization expect?

Josh Doctson - Perpetually injured and lack of production for 1st rounder 

Paul Richardson - Injured in his first year making big $$

Trey Quinn - 7th round rookie...also injured

Robert Davis/Cam Sims/Brian Quick - injured but also showed little to nothing in the reg season

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The money we gave him should’ve been used to re-sign Crowder last year. Richardson is Andre Roberts all over again. 

Now come on, he's not Andre Roberts. PRich is faster than Roberts, a better athlete w/good tracking skills who can high point balls and unlike Droperts, Prich can catch.

Obviously his injuries have hurt the production he could have had in his career, but he's clearly a better athlete and WR than Droperts.

As far as Crowder goes, let's  not forget Crowder also underperformed as a Redskin after his break out 2016 season when he got less attention in coverage bc we had Djax, Garcon and Reed. And, Crowder battled injuries in 2017 and 18 too and underperformed or missed many games. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Lost me -He didn't what ? Play thru the broken clavicle ?

He’s just saying that PRich didn't stay healthy. So, because he didn't stay healthy he didn't give us the production we needed.

Edited by turtle28

47 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He’s just saying that PRich didn't stay healthy. So, because he didn't stay healthy he didn't give us the production we needed.

He barely stayed healthy with his previous team so they should've took that as a hint not to sign him. Why are you tryna protect him? He had 1 good year if I'm not mistaken. 

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

He barely stayed healthy with his previous team so they should've took that as a hint not to sign him. Why are you tryna protect him? He had 1 good year if I'm not mistaken. 

I’m not trying to protect him, I'm trying to tell you the truth. He mostly stayed healthy when he was in Seattle, but it is true that he was mostly their #3 or 4 WR until 2017 when he had a good year bc he was stuck behind Baldwin, Kearse for a few years and Lockett.

I've gone over this before for others but if course most choose to ignore it. I hope you don't.

He tore his ACL in a playoff game in 2014-2015 when he was a rookie. That caused him to miss the rest of the 2014-15 playoffs and all but one game in 2015-16. In 2017 he played in two playoff games on top of the 16 regular games, so that's 18 games.

His game logs in his career go like this:

2014: 15 games (16 including the playoff game where he tore his ACL)

2015: 1 game and the playoffs 

2016: 15 games

2017: 16 games (18 including the playoffs)

2018: 7 games as he played through a broken clavicle and a knee injury for us.

http://www.nfl.com/player/paulrichardson/2543491/careerstats

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RichPa01.htm

He's also played in 3 playoff games in his career and has a 40-yard TD in the playoffs.

In 2014 in the game he tore his ACL in, he had a 21-yard reception.

In 2017 he played in two playoff games and had 7 receptions on 9 targets for 131 yards, a 18.7 avg and a TD.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Now come on, he's not Andre Roberts. PRich is faster than Roberts, a better athlete w/good tracking skills who can high point balls and unlike Droperts, Prich can catch.

Obviously his injuries have hurt the production he could have had in his career, but he's clearly a better athlete and WR than Droperts.

As far as Crowder goes, let's  not forget Crowder also underperformed as a Redskin after his break out 2016 season when he got less attention in coverage bc we had Djax, Garcon and Reed. And, Crowder battled injuries in 2017 and 18 too and underperformed or missed many games. 

I dunno what it is Turtle, but sometimes you're in such a rush to defend a player that you fail to see the actual analogy being made.

You were so keen to discuss the ways they were different in their physical attributes and hands that you failed to grasp his point.

What I understood from his post (and correct me if I'm wrong @lavar703) is that PRich was a WR that had a modicum of production elsewhere and was highly touted coming in here and then flopped (for whatever reason).

He wasn't making a checklist of all their characteristics and saying they were exactly the same height, weight, athlete, zodiac sign, etc...

As far as Crowder goes, I agree with you. It's why I wasn't too sorry to see him go.

• Like 1