2017 College Football/2018 Draft Prospect Thread

TitanSlim

Sam Hubbard feels like Dodd to me. Maybe he will have a better start. But I want to really like Hubbard, having a hard time convincing myself he is worthy of #25. Not an elite pass rusher. Feel like more of what we have a 5-8 sack guy.

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Sam Hubbard feels like Dodd to me. Maybe he will have a better start. But I want to really like Hubbard, having a hard time convincing myself he is worthy of #25. Not an elite pass rusher. Feel like more of what we have a 5-8 sack guy.

Yeah, imo his best case scenerio is Derrick Morgan, which certainly isn't bad. Just a bit uninspiring at 25.

I'm riding the "Josh Sweat surprise pick at 25" prediction from here on out.

On 4/8/2018 at 7:03 PM, TitanSlim said:

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind if we double up at edge rusher in the first 3 rounds.?

For example, maybe a Sam Hubbard in the first and a guy like Uchenna Nwosu or Lorenzo Carter in the 2nd/3rd.

Idk, I just have no faith in our depth at OLB this upcoming season and it looks even more dire next year when Orakpo and Morgan both are free agents.

Lorenzo Carter doesn't sit well with me. I don't know about him. Size and his football skills seem shaky to me.

31 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Yeah, imo his best case scenerio is Derrick Morgan, which certainly isn't bad. Just a bit uninspiring at 25.

I'm riding the "Josh Sweat surprise pick at 25" prediction from here on out.

#25 for him just seems wrong. lol I see him as an 2nd round guy in the early to mid round of the 2nd.

I like him. Just think there would be better prospects that rate higher than him at 25.

17 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

#25 for him just seems wrong. lol I see him as an 2nd round guy in the early to mid round of the 2nd.

I like him. Just think there would be better prospects that rate higher than him at 25.

You could've said the exact same thing with Adoree at 18 last year lol.

If all the top ILBs are gone and Landry/Davenport are gone, then who's next? Maybe a DL like Hurst or Bryan(who I view similarly to Sweat). Maybe a different edge guy like Hubbard (who we discussed) or Arden Key(big red flags with him imo). Maybe we'd just go BPA. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

I definitely see him as a 2nd round guy... A lot more do than a guy at 25. If they end up going ILB, Hubbard becomes a likely target as our 2nd pick (even if they feel they need to trade up a few picks for him... Although I think he'll be there if we wait...)

9 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Good point... When working on our mock drafts...

I say this every year. Ever since I've been keeping up with the draft, they have never, NOT had a player in for a visit, that they took in the 1st round. And since Robinson, they have taken players they have directly worked out or had in for a visit. 
Khuarsky liked to say the visits don't matter, but they do. At the very least, it shows you the positions they are targeting. Robinson hasn't been about a lot of camouflage or time wasting with visits and workouts. 

9 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

You could've said the exact same thing with Adoree at 18 last year lol.

If all the top ILBs are gone and Landry/Davenport are gone, then who's next? Maybe a DL like Hurst or Bryan(who I view similarly to Sweat). Maybe a different edge guy like Hubbard (who we discussed) or Arden Key(big red flags with him imo). Maybe we'd just go BPA. 

Yeah, there aren't a lot of edge rushers in the draft that are going to fall to #25. The good ones are going to be taken before we pick.  Then the ones left at our spot have questions.

I wouldn't be comfortable taking Sweat, Key, or Hubbard at 25. I would feel we could have gotten that player at some point in the 2nd.  Someone like Hurst is a possibility to me. They can rush from inside and that be just as important as an edge rush. 

You normally don't take an ILB in the 1st unless you feel they can play all 3 downs. If one of those guys fall then yeah.  
I'm taking CB, OG, C, QB, RB, T, and S off the board for possibilities in the 1st round. 
I can see a WR, TE, ILB, OLB, DT taken in the 1st. TE is the only one that would be a total WTF  pick to me out of that bunch. 

Anyway..lol Sweat just seems high. I only seen one site rank him that high. The rest have him in the early 3rd. 

23 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah, there aren't a lot of edge rushers in the draft that are going to fall to #25. The good ones are going to be taken before we pick.  Then the ones left at our spot have questions.

I wouldn't be comfortable taking Sweat, Key, or Hubbard at 25. I would feel we could have gotten that player at some point in the 2nd.  Someone like Hurst is a possibility to me. They can rush from inside and that be just as important as an edge rush. 

You normally don't take an ILB in the 1st unless you feel they can play all 3 downs. If one of those guys fall then yeah.  
I'm taking CB, OG, C, QB, RB, T, and S off the board for possibilities in the 1st round. 
I can see a WR, TE, ILB, OLB, DT taken in the 1st. TE is the only one that would be a total WTF  pick to me out of that bunch. 

Anyway..lol Sweat just seems high. I only seen one site rank him that high. The rest have him in the early 3rd. 

The thing is, Landry and Davenport are both prospects with question marks to their game, and they're both expected to be picked before we're on the clock. They are prospects that will need to be developed into NFL pass rushers just as much as Sweat. All three of them are lengthy, athletic edge rushers. For Landry, 2017 has been basically as big of a question mark as it has been for Sweat, meanwhile Davenport has fed on playing weaker competition, so he has that question mark attached to his scouting report.

With the ceiling being pretty much similar, I don't think either of them are really that much more advanced as pass rushers (if at all) than Sweat, to think that both belong in the top 20 while Sweat is not worth a 1st round pick. I'd say there's a very great chance he won't be available for us in the 2nd, unless we trade up to get him. Neither will a couple of other guys, with pass rush being a premier position after all. If we're serious about getting younger and adding good depth that could eventually take over one of the OLB spots, I think we should be serious about investing a 1st round pick into one, and to me personally, Sweat seems worth that investment just as much as Landry.

46 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

The thing is, Landry and Davenport are both prospects with question marks to their game, and they're both expected to be picked before we're on the clock. They are prospects that will need to be developed into NFL pass rushers just as much as Sweat. All three of them are lengthy, athletic edge rushers. For Landry, 2017 has been basically as big of a question mark as it has been for Sweat, meanwhile Davenport has fed on playing weaker competition, so he has that question mark attached to his scouting report.

With the ceiling being pretty much similar, I don't think either of them are really that much more advanced as pass rushers (if at all) than Sweat, to think that both belong in the top 20 while Sweat is not worth a 1st round pick. I'd say there's a very great chance he won't be available for us in the 2nd, unless we trade up to get him. Neither will a couple of other guys, with pass rush being a premier position after all. If we're serious about getting younger and adding good depth that could eventually take over one of the OLB spots, I think we should be serious about investing a 1st round pick into one, and to me personally, Sweat seems worth that investment just as much as Landry.

Well Landry has a year of film that would have put him in the top 5 of picks probably if you go back to the year before last, so I think that is what propels him.  Davenport played against weaker competition but has a strong Senior Bowl at his back too.  I do think you are right, they all have similar traits. I think Landry has more bend and explosion on the edge. I think Davenport has more power/speed combo than both.  I think Sweat has a better frame than all of them. 

I like Sweat. I think he is a good player. I don't think he has enough at the moment to warrant an 1st round selection.  He lacks production. He has injury history. He doesn't have the best game video to me. He just has a couple more questions than the other guys. I see the skills and traits. It is just more of a projection and risk, in my opinion. 

In my opinion it takes more projection with Sweat than the other two. Landry and Davenport you have seen some situations that make it easier to picture him in the league, especially with Landry.
But nothing a good workout and heavy film study couldn't solve, in Sweat's case.  Not saying he won't get that high in the draft, but I personally don't see him in that class of draft picks at the moment. I think he is projecting to be a late 2nd to early 3rd round guy. 

6 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Well Landry has a year of film that would have put him in the top 5 of picks probably if you go back to the year before last, so I think that is what propels him.  Davenport played against weaker competition but has a strong Senior Bowl at his back too.  I do think you are right, they all have similar traits. I think Landry has more bend and explosion on the edge. I think Davenport has more power/speed combo than both.  I think Sweat has a better frame than all of them. 

I like Sweat. I think he is a good player. I don't think he has enough at the moment to warrant an 1st round selection.  He lacks production. He has injury history. He doesn't have the best game video to me. He just has a couple more questions than the other guys. I see the skills and traits. It is just more of a projection and risk, in my opinion. 

In my opinion it takes more projection with Sweat than the other two. Landry and Davenport you have seen some situations that make it easier to picture him in the league, especially with Landry.
But nothing a good workout and heavy film study couldn't solve, in Sweat's case.  Not saying he won't get that high in the draft, but I personally don't see him in that class of draft picks at the moment. I think he is projecting to be a late 2nd to early 3rd round guy. 

I've seen some 2016 footage of Landry. Not a lot, but some of it. He looks better for sure, but I still don't think he's necessarily a crazy talent. His get-off and his athleticism allowed him to get by at the college level, that doesn't always translate that well into the league. Which is why I think he's close to being the same type of developmental prospect as Sweat. I see him similar to a Beasley/Irvin type of player, though I usually hesitate making NFL comparisons. He offers pass rush value for sure, but won't necessarily ever be an all-around top player at his position. I see Sweat's ceiling a little bit higher than that myself. Maybe I'm just crazy, I don't know, but I would be very, very cool with the pick at 25. To put it in perspective a little, I would be actually more cool with Sweat at 25 than I was with Adoree last year. Factor in that he likely won't be asked to start year 1 but instead being allowed the time to fully develop, and I don't see why not take the chance on him.

Also, I really like Davenport too, I can say I liked him maybe a little too much even before the hype started growing around him. But as for Senior Bowl, I've seen mixed reviews of how he actually looked. Bottom line is, he's athletic, he shows that on film, great frame and length. Just like Sweat I think it takes some projection as to how he'll look in the NFL, but I'm pretty comfortable in both developing into solid players at the next level.

1 hour ago, Andrei01 said:

I've seen some 2016 footage of Landry. Not a lot, but some of it. He looks better for sure, but I still don't think he's necessarily a crazy talent. His get-off and his athleticism allowed him to get by at the college level, that doesn't always translate that well into the league. Which is why I think he's close to being the same type of developmental prospect as Sweat. I see him similar to a Beasley/Irvin type of player, though I usually hesitate making NFL comparisons. He offers pass rush value for sure, but won't necessarily ever be an all-around top player at his position. I see Sweat's ceiling a little bit higher than that myself. Maybe I'm just crazy, I don't know, but I would be very, very cool with the pick at 25. To put it in perspective a little, I would be actually more cool with Sweat at 25 than I was with Adoree last year. Factor in that he likely won't be asked to start year 1 but instead being allowed the time to fully develop, and I don't see why not take the chance on him.

Also, I really like Davenport too, I can say I liked him maybe a little too much even before the hype started growing around him. But as for Senior Bowl, I've seen mixed reviews of how he actually looked. Bottom line is, he's athletic, he shows that on film, great frame and length. Just like Sweat I think it takes some projection as to how he'll look in the NFL, but I'm pretty comfortable in both developing into solid players at the next level.

I like Sweat's numbers and traits. I won't be made if he is #25. I'd just be shocked as on now. Lol. 2 weeks from now, maybe I'd see it easier. 

48 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I like Sweat's numbers and traits. I won't be made if he is #25. I'd just be shocked as on now. Lol. 2 weeks from now, maybe I'd see it easier. 

Yeah, even though we're close to draft day, a lot can change.

Looking back at mock drafts of last year guys like Jonathan Allen, Marshon Lattimore, OJ Howard and Malik Hooker were predicted to be picked much higher than they were while guys like Corey Davis, John Ross, and Adoree Jackson were picked much higher than most thought.

What it boils down to is no one knows anything with the draft lol...

Vita Vea is a guy that I really like a lot. I don't know if he'd be there for our pick, and I'm not even sure where I'd necessarily see him fitting for us, but his skillset is really impressive especially for his size. He plays all over the line can play NT or 3-4 DE. He has really nice explosion for being 340 lbs. You'd think he'd be strictly a 2 down run stuffer at that size, but he brings some really nice interior pass rush on top of his great ability to shed blocks and clog up run lanes. He's very versatile and pretty dominant even though he faces double and triple teams consistently. I think pairing him with Casey on our DLine if he falls for whatever reason could be pretty special.

Archived