2017 College Football/2018 Draft Prospect Thread

TitanSlim

23 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I should have a decent chunk of time tomorrow. So Titania, give me some names to watch!

A few of the more popular names that could be top realistic targets for us (outside of the guys you already watched)

Sam Hubbard

Marcus Davenport

Josh Sweat 

Taven Bryan

Maurice Hurst

Ronnie Harrison

39 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I should have a decent chunk of time tomorrow. So Titania, give me some names to watch!

I'll give you some centers. Hopefully you can find the next Fernando.

Frank Ragnow

James Daniels

Billy Price

I'll also list a few of my favorites.

Jaire Alexander

Vita Vea

Genard Avery

Tegray Scales

Duke Ejiofor

Lorenzo Carter

6 hours ago, titans0021 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000927630/article/chad-reuter-2018-sevenround-nfl-mock-draft-round-2

Has us taking Hubbard at No. 57. After watching a little of him, I could live with that. No. 25 just seems like a real stretch.

It’s just the Ohio state connection people are trying to make. I seen one mock had us taking freaking Jerome Baker at 25.

59 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

*sigh*....I hate smokescreen season.

I don't think it's a smokescreen... I'm telling you, he's the most polarizing 1st round possibility in our eyes.  I honestly think a couple of teams may have him as a top 12 type player based on his 2016 and raw athleticism as displayed at the combine... but I also believe some teams view him as a 2nd round type guy.  I'm somewhere in the middle... some days I want to trade up a few spots to make sure we get him and some days I see him sliding to and past us (which was my original stance on him... saw him as an early 2nd round guy).

Not everyone agrees he's a 1st round guy.. and he seems to have some serious run d and effort concerns:

Landry needs to be protected in the NFL ground game. His run defense was awful in 2017. He struggled to get off blocks and didn't look that interested in fighting to hold his ground or get in on tackles - see the Notre Dame and Clemson games. Landry's run defense was a liability when he was on the field, and he has to get much better in the NFL to become a three-down starter.

As a pro, Landry will get pushed around and teams will run at him. He doesn't have the size and strength to hold up as a 4-3 defensive end. In a 4-3 defense, he would have to be a rotational player or split time as a linebacker. He just is not a natural fit in a 4-3 defense being so undersized for defensive end. He would fit best as a 3-4 outside linebacker who would have a five-technique defensive end in front of him to help reduce the amount of blocks he is taking on from offensive tackles with length.

Multiple teams sources told me that Landry belongs on the second day of the 2018 NFL Draft. They labeled his senior-year tape as not impressive. His run defense was poor, and he looked disinterested in making an effort in the ground game at times. Landry had a big drop in his pass-rush production year over year and put together some ugly games in run defense. Teams that run a 4-3 defense have concerns about Landry holding up on the edge because he is very undersized to be a base end. However, there aren't 32 players who have first-round grades, so some second-round talents will go on Thursday night. Landry has a shot at being one of those prospects given the pass-rush ability he displayed in 2016.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018HLandry.php#UY0QXMYEmEclFQHP.99

NFL’s Lance Zierlein – have raised concerns about his motivation and work ethic in his senior year.

This website also has a lot of video of good and bad... more bad videos than good...

https://www.fourthandnine.co/single-post/2018/03/08/Whats-concerning-about-Harold-Landry-as-top-10-option-for-the-49ers

Only reason I think Landry will still get drafted high is because of the pure lack of dynamic pass rushers. There aren't even many workout warriors to salivate about...

Landry will still go top 15ish, just because of his previous years work.  And likely someone like Sweat gets pushed up because of that too. 

I just really hope that we don't reach for a pass rusher like Sweat or Hubbard. If we can trade down and still want them I guess I can live with it, but I just can't get on board with drafting a guy that's a 2nd-3rd round talent in the first round just because we have a need there. Take the best player available on our board in the first and circle back around to pass rusher in the second. Short of taking a TE, taking Hubbard or Sweat in the first would probably be the one thing that would have me throwing things at my TV especially without a trade down.

17 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Am I insane to think that I would've considered Calvin Ridley there? I mean, I probably take Reid, but...

Don't think so. I'd rather have any of the next three - Ridley, Reid or Hernandez - at 25 then reaching for Hubbard just because he plugs a spot. I much more prefer getting a first round talent than a solid guy that can at best be the next Derrick Morgan. WR isn't a dire need but if Ridley is there it's an intriguing pick. Take the best guy and let your coaching of current players and scouting of later rounds help you fill needs elsewhere. 

Archived