2017 College Football/2018 Draft Prospect Thread

TitanSlim

5 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Bradley Chubb and Harold Landry are two of my favorite first round projects. Chubb would play the same position as Morgan that Dodd has failed to be prove worthy.  Landry would take over Orakpos role as our joker and best pass-rusher.

I also really like Minkah Fitzpatrick. He would give us a real cover safety who csn also play the slot. This would allow Byard to be our SS and roam all around the defense.

Love all 3 of those guys as prospects and potential fits for us. Chubb dominated yesterday, Landry has some Vic Beasley to his game, and Fitzpatrick's versatality as a DB would mesh perfectly with Byard.

Also love the two edge rushers for Clemson, Clelin Ferrell and Austin Bryant. I said it before but I think they're what we want Dodd to be.

Chubb had a great game yesterday. He lacks the elite athleticism to be a top 5 pick but his motor is insane. Plus spitting on the criminole logo at the end of the game makes me like him even more. Haven't watched enough of Landry to form an opinion but from all the talk right now, he could be a top 10 pick. Hopefully we're not picking top 10 come April.... So many damn good pass-rushers in the ACC. 

Regardless of how both play this year(still don't think Kline is as good as that PFF rating), I don't think both Spain and Kline will be resigned. Plus we got Lewan contract likely coming this offseason. Wouldn't be surprised if we targeted an interior OL high. I think Quenton Nelson of Notre Dame is the best right now. Also have guys like Billy Price and Braden Smith. Seems to line up as a strong interior OL class.

13 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Regardless of how both play this year(still don't think Kline is as good as that PFF rating), I don't think both Spain and Kline will be resigned. Plus we got Lewan contract likely coming this offseason. Wouldn't be surprised if we targeted an interior OL high. I think Quenton Nelson of Notre Dame is the best right now. Also have guys like Billy Price and Braden Smith. Seems to line up as a strong interior OL class.

I imagine one of the guards could be gone, but I'd be extremely surprised if both left. Mularkey and Robinson's entire tenure has been about protecting Marcus. We're not going to take what is maybe the best o-line football and remove 2 of the starting 5.

2 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I imagine one of the guards could be gone, but I'd be extremely surprised if both left. Mularkey and Robinson's entire tenure has been about protecting Marcus. We're not going to take what is maybe the best o-line football and remove 2 of the starting 5.

Agreed, I'd be extremely disappointed if we lost two pieces from this offensive line. You can say what you'd like about the way they've started games as run blockers, but the unit has done an absolutely remarkable job of keeping Mariota upright against some pretty great pass rushers.

With that said, if the line's reputation continues to grow, I'm not sure we'll be able to keep Spain and Kline together with Lewan due for a massive contract. But I can't imagine trying to replace both of them. I remember just how much one terrible interior lineman can hurt the group.

With the above said, this is the first time in awhile where we're a few weeks into the season and I don't really know what our glaring weaknesses are. With Woodyard stepping up, Williamson still being Williamson and Jayon Brown flashing things, I don't think we're in the market for an ILB. A big DE with pass-rushing skills would be nice. I'd still love a pure free safety that would allow Byard to be a roving SS.

Corner doesn't appear to be a huge need with the Ryan-Adoree-Sims trio looking pretty good.

So yeah, things aren't looking too bad.

Needs are easy....

1.) OLB - Orakpo and Morgan are not getting any younger. Wallace and Carraway are depth players at best and Walden is on a 1 year deal. Also Dodd sucks. Even if we get 1 more year out of Morgan/Orakpo, I'd like to see a young talented pass-rusher develop behind them.

2.) Safety - This may not be a need to LeBeau/Mularkey/Robinson but Cyprien doesn't belong on this team. Byard is a mismatch safety that can do all kinds of things. Would like to see a good coverage safety drafted. Seems like a good draft for safeties as well. 

3.) OG - Both are not coming back. Not sure who I'd lean towards resigning right now but obviously there's a hole when the other can't be resigned. 

4.) Pass-Rushing DL. Would love to see somebody other than Casey that can rush the passer. Klug is solid but I'm talking even a step-up from him. Hell, just give me another Casey.

5.) NT - Still think the run D can be so much better. A good NT would definitely help with that.

5 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

At this point I'd be surprised if Avery was resigned.

It's crazy how well Woodyard is playing right now. Hopefully Jayon Brown can keep getting better. He looks pretty good right now. Williamson, man I had so much hope for him but he just isn't taking that next step forward, and is pass coverage is just such a liability. Everything else he does is just so average I would say.

19 minutes ago, Justin615$ said:

It's crazy how well Woodyard is playing right now. Hopefully Jayon Brown can keep getting better. He looks pretty good right now. Williamson, man I had so much hope for him but he just isn't taking that next step forward, and is pass coverage is just such a liability. Everything else he does is just so average I would say.

Pretty much. Williamson is solid against the run and does a solid job blitzing when asked but that's about it.  I just hope Brown isn't another one of those ILBs that we draft in the mid rounds and does well  early only to not improve or get hit with the injury bug. 

I'd say that our needs will look something like this:

ILB - LB in general, really, but at least we have our two starters on the edge still on contract. Both Woodyard and Avery are upcoming FAs and truthfully only Woodyard is playing like he deserves another contract. But he's not a long term solution at this point, and Brown is definitely talented and is interesting to see into what he will grow, but at the very least depth will need to be added. Best term scenario would be a starter, and let Wes make an impact as a role player.

OLB - We obviously need to have someone with the potential to be groomed into a starter behind Morgan and Rak. Walden can come back on a 1/2 year deal for all I care, to provide some depth and rotation at the position, but it's obviously not enough. Always better to have someone already on roster ready to take over when either one of our two currently starting players will need to be replaced.

CB - Hopefully McCain won't be back after next year. I still don't know what Adoree is yet. He has the talent to cover, I'm just not 100% sure he will find a place on the outside. See him turn more into a Chris Harris type of player, to be honest. And I think Sims could do with some competition, so at the very least we need someone who will push for snaps as a boundary corner.

G - I think Kline can be retained pretty cheaply, and to be fair, he plays at times like he should be granted that starting job for the next few years. It's a little bit tough to judge on how they will go about it, but I think we'll see a new addition at the very least to this position as well, either via FA or the later rounds in the Draft.

DL - I like Austin Johnson. I have liked him as a prospect and was a very big fan of the pick at the time. I think he flashed already some things, but he's not necessarily a starter yet. Jones has never been anything more than a pretty good run stopper, and Klug is fine as depth. We could definitely use at least one more body, maybe two if Jones is not brought back.

WR - Hopefully Davis will get healthy ASAP. With him continuing to get in sync with the rest of the offense and Mariota, we should have two good outside WRs in him and Matthews, plus what looks like a very promising slot option in Taylor (was my favorite pick of the Draft if I'm being honest). If Decker/Douglas don't return, and I wish at least one of them won't (thinking of you here, Harry), we will need some alternatives.

I think at this point, ILB should likely be our top priority, again considering that two out of our three big-snaps players at the position are going to be FAs and the other one is a rookie who still needs to grow into a larger role. I trust he can do it, but until he does, it's fair to still treat the ILB position in need of starting caliber players for the upcoming offseason.

Woodyard signed an extension this past offseason. I believe Quinton Spain, Josh Kline, Daquan Jones, and Ryan Succop are all some FAs this coming offseason. I'd like to see us upgrade on Daquan then resign either Spain OR Kline and also bring back Succop. Biggest needs next year in no order: G, DL, LB, CB, S

3 minutes ago, Justin615$ said:

Woodyard signed an extension this past offseason. I believe Quinton Spain, Josh Kline, Daquan Jones, and Ryan Succop are all some FAs this coming offseason. I'd like to see us upgrade on Daquan then resign either Spain OR Kline and also bring back Succop. Biggest needs next year in no order: G, DL, LB, CB, S

Yes, my bad. I just got on spotrac for a quick look at what's coming and for some reason he's listed as an upcoming FA in 2018.

Archived